September 20, 2014, 06:33:23 AM

Author Topic: 600mm Lens serial number  (Read 2269 times)

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
600mm Lens serial number
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »
I am looking at a Canon 600 mm lens on a certain auction site. I have sent a message to the vendor and his/her reply makes me think it is a bit dodgy. They quote the serial number as 20224. Is there anywhere I can check this is, at least, possibly valid?
I am not trying to buy the lens as I already have one, but I am trying to stop someone getting ripped off!

canon rumors FORUM

600mm Lens serial number
« on: November 17, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: 600mm Lens serial number
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 06:34:38 PM »
There is no table of serial numbers.  I recommend not interefering with a auction, if you cost a legitimate seller money or a sale, and he can track you down, he'd likely file a criminal complaint, since it is unlawful to interfere with a auction.

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 07:08:49 PM »
Thanks for the reply and advice, I hoped there might be a database like the one for date codes.. I the payment method requested is outside the auction site's approved methods, namely by bank transfer (non reversible in UK) the payment method preferred by fraudsters. I have reported my concerns to the auction site - now it's up to them.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »
I have reported my concerns to the auction site - now it's up to them.

I'd say that was the best action to take.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »

I spent 10 years doing anti-fraud work for a major international bank so I have a bit of a nose for these things. I just hate seeing people getting ripped off - still I could be wrong, but it smells iffy to me.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »

I spent 10 years doing anti-fraud work for a major international bank so I have a bit of a nose for these things. I just hate seeing people getting ripped off - still I could be wrong, but it smells iffy to me.
We all hate seeing those rip-off people at work.  Your action of letting the auction site know of your concern is the best action. 

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »
Ha Ha! It's disappeared off the auction site! Not even view able in the Completed Listings section and gone from my watch list. Looks like they listened.
1 Brownie point to me!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 08:43:29 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:44:35 PM »
Try Adorama or B&H.  I think B&H has two used for sale E rated...and you can return it within 30days if you dont like it.  Sometimes its worth paying a little more for some assurance you wont get ripped off.

Ha Ha! It's disappeared off the auction site! Not even view able in the Completed Listings section and gone from my watch list. Looks like they listened.
1 Brownie point to me!

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »
Try Adorama or B&H.  I think B&H has two used for sale E rated...and you can return it within 30days if you dont like it.  Sometimes its worth paying a little more for some assurance you wont get ripped off.

1 Brownie point to me!

I wasn't after the 600 for myself (as I already have one) however a friend is looking for something in the 400 + range. I spotted this one and was not quite happy with the listing so I sent a message to the vendor. Their reply suggested (to me) that it was an obvious fraud, but then it would - I did anti fraud work for 10 years.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »