September 19, 2014, 06:13:20 PM

Author Topic: Just some sample shots taken with my new 1D X in lowlight  (Read 8150 times)

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: Just some sample shots taken with my new 1D X in lowlight
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 03:38:28 AM »
Hey Everyone!

Oh 1D, how do I love thee?  Let me count the ways.....  :D

Just got my 1D X yesterday.  Been gun-shy because of this little "issue"(http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10847.45) (credit to Northstar for starting the thread).

Anyways, just thought I'd share some of my ambient lowlight shots.  All with a 100L.  All SOOC JPEGs...no PP.  Absolutely unscientific and non-award-winning...all snapshots.  Just toying around with on-cam settings and familiarizing myself with the abundant (current 5DMk3 owner) settings.  The 1D X molds in my hand way better than my 5DMk3 with BG-E11.  So far, it's been a joy to use.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/26582718_4k7KQD

Just to let you all know where I'm coming from and for future reference, I'm not a pixel-peeper nor a chart-shooter.  No disrespect whatsoever to people that do...just not my cup of tea.

D...what level of noise reduction did you use on these jpegs?   Also, did you use a tripod?

PP?  None.  On-cam?...'Standard'.  'Auto Lighting Optimizer'...Disable...always have mine turned off when shooting indoors in ambient lowlight.  'Long exp. noise reduction'...OFF.  Tripod?  I'd like to think I just used my arms, face, torso.  ;)  I'm one of the oddballs that doesn't drink coffee so I'd say I'm pretty steady!  ;D

Hope that helps, Northstar.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 03:38:28 AM »

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 03:42:18 AM »
Thank you all for looking!

Northstar, I went the opposite route of what you did...I adjusted max 'Auto ISO range' to 51200.  Also adjusted 'ISO speed range' to 204800.  Not very useable at 204800 (as I've mentioned, I'm not a pixel-peeper nor a chart-shooter)...lots of color noise and loss of detail.  In a pinch, sure.  For the web, I wouldn't have second thoughts at 102400.  In comparison, I wouldn't have second thoughts (again, for the web) at 51200 on my 5DM3.  Northstar, when you get a chance, perhaps you can put your 1D X and 5DM3 through its paces based on my findings and validate or refute my observations.  Thanks in advance.

Having said that, Northstar, I realize and understand why you chose to set max 'Auto ISO range' to 6400.  Final exposure is, after all, dependent on shooting factors and like most everything photography-related, subjective.  We all configure our tools to work best for our shooting style.

D...yes, at some point I'll do some simple comparisons....I sometimes do a little pixel peeping so when I get past 6400 ISO, I start getting nervous   ;)

Sligtly off topic....I just read the following article on 1dx settings from a sports illustrated staff photographer....I found some of the info helpful...

http://www.sportsshooter.com/news/2678

Great find!  Thanks for sharing!  I don't shoot sports.  Sorry.  It's just not my forte.  But I will definitely read up on the link.  I'm always up for learning...anything that I could soak up about the 1D X...bring it on!

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 03:55:56 AM »
That article shows the difference between a proshooter and an enthusiast  ;)

That being said, it took for someone here at CR, to make me aware of the fix to my annoyance over not being able to skip menu tab's. Just press the Q-button, wonderful!
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 04:18:29 AM »
Hey Everyone!

Just got my 1D X yesterday.  Been gun-shy because of this little "issue"(http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=10847.45) (credit to Northstar for starting the thread).

Anyways, just thought I'd share some of my ambient lowlight shots.  All with a 100L.  All SOOC JPEGs...no PP.  Absolutely unscientific and non-award-winning...all snapshots.  Just toying around with on-cam settings and familiarizing myself with the abundant (current 5DMk3 owner) settings.  The 1D X molds in my hand way better than my 5DMk3 with BG-E11.  So far, it's been a joy to use.

Just to let you all know where I'm coming from and for future reference, I'm not a pixel-peeper nor a chart-shooter.  No disrespect whatsoever to people that do...just not my cup of tea.

D...what level of noise reduction did you use on these jpegs?   Also, did you use a tripod?

PP?  None.  On-cam?...'Standard'.  'Auto Lighting Optimizer'...Disable...always have mine turned off when shooting indoors in ambient lowlight.  'Long exp. noise reduction'...OFF.  Tripod?  I'd like to think I just used my arms, face, torso.  ;)  I'm one of the oddballs that doesn't drink coffee so I'd say I'm pretty steady!  ;D

Since you've been calling me "D" (I don't mind at all), may I call you "N" (if that's okay)...it's just a lot less characters to type considering, as a "noob" on this great forum, I've been typing so much!  ;D

I feel I should've been more specific with my reply in regards to the tripod.  Apologize for having been curt.  I do have a tripod...an inexpensive "Rocketfish" CF tripod...with an RRS BH-55 (a very atypical combo, I know)...looking to upgrade to an RRS or a Gitzo sometime...but I digress.  Anyways, for those sample shots, nope, didn't use a tripod.

Will sign off now.  Gotta get some zzz's for a long day later.  Northstar, and everyone else, if you have anymore questions, keep em comin!  :)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 05:01:20 AM »

That being said, it took for someone here at CR, to make me aware of the fix to my annoyance over not being able to skip menu tab's. Just press the Q-button, wonderful!

Viggo...I had a similar experience with the Q button....I find it very handy now.

Also...I noticed after reading this article that my AF mode was not set to "quick " view when i checked it....in other words, the default from the factory is not quick view (unless I unknowingly switched mine)....Good to know if you shoot action because you should probably switch it to quick.
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 05:06:37 AM »
Hey Everyone!

I was curious about the on camera Jpeg noise red.   I've always set mine to low, but you make a good case here for using the standard or maybe high settings for high ISO jpegs....I guess my point is maybe in these high ISO situations I should stop shooting raw and maybe consider going with jpeg standard or high mode....it sure would make things easier.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 05:13:43 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »
Feel blessed you can afford such a cool camera 8) Feel free to gift me your old camera so i can gift it to my fiance :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 05:25:28 AM »

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2012, 06:03:56 AM »
Feel blessed you can afford such a cool camera 8) Feel free to gift me your old camera so i can gift it to my fiance :D

If I was in the mood to give my gear away, I would give it to a friend, family member, a fellow employee, my church, a local school, a neighbor, or a local charitable organization.....I sure wouldn't be giving an expensive camera to an online stranger that behaves as a beggar. 

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:25:24 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2012, 06:20:46 AM »
For what its worth I have my max auto ISO at 25,600 but tbh that was only because I read one pro review stating that he'd be happy to allow it to go there, I've never found the need to be any higher, in fact I've rarely been up at 25.6k but your 32k-50k images look absolutely fine, even at 2xlarge.

Cheers for posting.

stoneysnapper, if you were referring to the 5DM3, yes I agree, won't have second thoughts pushing it to 25600.  Actually, 51200 will be where it's at (if needed), for me, for web purposes.

Dwight, sorry I was actually referring to the 1Dx. I suppose it depends on what you are doing with the images thereafter, I tend to either print for Club Competitions or submit digital and some judges will view at 100% or more. But for web posting etc they are absolutely acceptable.

For what its worth a pro friend of mine did comparison tests between my 1Dx and his 5Diii and he found there to be at least a 1 one stop advantage with the 1Dx.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »

For what its worth a pro friend of mine did comparison tests between my 1Dx and his 5Diii and he found there to be at least a 1 one stop advantage with the 1Dx.
[/quote]

Now that I have a 1dx I much more enjoy reading comments like this?  :P

« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 06:32:42 AM by Northstar »
Sport Shooter

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2012, 07:51:12 AM »

If I was in the mood to give my gear away, I would give it to a friend, family member, a fellow employee, my church, a local school, a neighbor, or a local charitable organization.....I sure wouldn't be giving an expensive camera to an online stranger that behaves as a beggar.

I would do the same as you but i just cant afford a "1" camera. Perhaps never. And dont forget not every post of mine includes some "please give me" something ;)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
I would do the same as you but i just cant afford a "1" camera. Perhaps never. And dont forget not every post of mine includes some "please give me" something ;)
:)
You most definitely don't use the word "something". You are very specific about your request in every post.

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »
So how does anyone with a 5D3 think these compare to the 5D3 in comparable conditions?

The OP mentioned there is no PP in these pics, therefore, I say the 5D III is not quite near 1D X in term of high ISO. On 5D III, 12000ish ISO will require some NR in LR, but it's doable. I can say anything lower than 6400ISO, 5D III is really good.

Hopefully couple years from now, the price of 1D X will go down a bit. I might have enough money to get one. ::)  Until then, I'll stick around with my 5D III.
Well maybe not in two but in three years from now the new 5DMkIV will beat the 1Dx at high ISO but a few months later the 1Dx II will strike back and put 5DMkIV to second place.  And so on and on ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2012, 01:07:18 PM »

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2012, 10:10:24 PM »
For what its worth I have my max auto ISO at 25,600 but tbh that was only because I read one pro review stating that he'd be happy to allow it to go there, I've never found the need to be any higher, in fact I've rarely been up at 25.6k but your 32k-50k images look absolutely fine, even at 2xlarge.

Cheers for posting.

stoneysnapper, if you were referring to the 5DM3, yes I agree, won't have second thoughts pushing it to 25600.  Actually, 51200 will be where it's at (if needed), for me, for web purposes.

Dwight, sorry I was actually referring to the 1Dx. I suppose it depends on what you are doing with the images thereafter, I tend to either print for Club Competitions or submit digital and some judges will view at 100% or more. But for web posting etc they are absolutely acceptable.

stoneysnapper, thanks for the clarification.  In my short and unscientific observations, for RAW, 1-stop is close to accurate.

Dwight

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
®
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »

When I just got my 5DM3, not being able to skip-through menus was a major annoyance.  When I figured it out, man, was I happy!

canon rumors FORUM

®
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2012, 10:13:35 PM »