April 19, 2014, 09:40:49 PM

Author Topic: Wedding pics. need critique  (Read 7597 times)

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
  • I want to go shoot something with a Canon...
    • View Profile
    • Tabor Warren Photography
Re: Wedding pics. need critique
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:35 AM »
<snip>
In my opinion, weddings should be left to professionals who do them a lot more and have the experiance to handle any situation or weather type and still get top dollar great shots consistently.
<snip>
Hey, everyone has to start somewhere.

Hey Cayenne,

Thank you for bringing the focus back for the OP. You hit the nail on the head by mentioning that we all have to start somewhere.

x2z2001,

I stayed away from weddings and only did portrait work until a wedding essentially presented itself to me, as has occurred with many posters on this forum. I have greatly upgraded my equipment since then and am not afraid to rent anything if the event needs something special. I conduct myself in a professional manner and having just finished up my final May wedding, I have 3 more weddings this June alone. When was my first? Last November. I've been continuously booking from now until next April, (before the wolves descend, I know that multiple bookings over the next calendar year are nothing new to 'real' professional wedding photographers). Remember to conduct every little detail in a professional manner, it has been my goal since the first wedding I had, and who knows, I may even work my way out of wannabe mode one day! ;D

Cheers,
-Tabor
Bodies: 5D mk III x2, 5D mk. II, 7D, & 60D
Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2013, 12:46:35 AM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2013, 02:31:29 PM »
<snip>
In my opinion, weddings should be left to professionals who do them a lot more and have the experiance to handle any situation or weather type and still get top dollar great shots consistently.
<snip>
Hey, everyone has to start somewhere.

Hey Cayenne,

Thank you for bringing the focus back for the OP. You hit the nail on the head by mentioning that we all have to start somewhere.

x2z2001,

I stayed away from weddings and only did portrait work until a wedding essentially presented itself to me, as has occurred with many posters on this forum. I have greatly upgraded my equipment since then and am not afraid to rent anything if the event needs something special. I conduct myself in a professional manner and having just finished up my final May wedding, I have 3 more weddings this June alone. When was my first? Last November. I've been continuously booking from now until next April, (before the wolves descend, I know that multiple bookings over the next calendar year are nothing new to 'real' professional wedding photographers). Remember to conduct every little detail in a professional manner, it has been my goal since the first wedding I had, and who knows, I may even work my way out of wannabe mode one day! ;D

Cheers,
-Tabor

Thanks Tabor!!

Good luck to you.

If you don't mind me asking...do you work alone Lone Wolf style, or do you shoot with someone else?

From all that I've been studying on this, while you can do a good job alone, man, you gotta know your stuff...and with 2 or more shooters that work well together, you can cover so much more, especially the unexpected. Not to mention, you can be shooting the ceremony,and another camera could be shooting the reception room before people get in...having 2x people to shoot bride and groom makes things easier..etc.

Just curious what you do, and if you could describe your situation how you find it doing it your way?

TIA,

cayenne

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2013, 10:47:07 PM »
Hey Cayenne,

For portrait work, flying solo is nothing new or unheard of for me. Weddings, however, I trust a second photographer to do their part. Fortunately for me, my wife is my co-photographer. She primarily runs her 60D and 35L for the majority of every wedding, this allows me to switch between the 17-40L and 70-200 2.8ii. This set up is simple and gives us great results.

Our last wedding was in a lodge on a very rainy night. I rented the 50 1.2L and 24-70ii both of which I've considered buying. The 24-70ii was AMAZING, but darn expensive, so we're going to wait just a little bit before pulling the trigger on that one. One thing we learned though, we both needed a flash, it seems obvious looking back, (hindsight's 20/20), but I was hoping the 50L at 1.2 on a 5Dii would absorb enough light, which was true for the most part, however, a flash on my body would have made my life so much easier. Within a week, I bought the 600EX-RT. It was a lesson learned the hard way for me, and if I can help out any other forum member by sharing my experience then it gives me the warm fuzzies and I know others will help me with future insight. The image below was shot w/o a flash, 5Dii, 50mm, f/1.2, iso 4,000 and 1/160, so it was still capable of performing when tested.

As for the method to our madness; my wife is incredibly personable and works tremendously well with the brides. I can fairly quickly become friends with the groom and groomsmen. I trust that she takes care of business and likewise, she feels the same for me. I spend the majority of my time, pre-ceremony, following the groom with the exception of spending time, taking ring shots, wedding dress pics, makeup, etc. From the ceremony onward, the bride is our major focus. If things are slow, we attempt to get portraits of every person who came to the wedding, focusing on the oldest and the youngest.

I think anyone could write a book on what they have learned from their first, second, and third wedding. If I can help you or anyone else, feel free to PM me or shoot me an email. It's my way of paying it forward, for those who have helped me in the beginning.

Cheers,
-Tabor

Lenses: 17-40mm f/4L, 24mm f/1.4L, 35mm f/1.4L, 70-200mm f/2.8L ISII, 85 f/1.2L II, & 100mm f/2.8L
Flashes: 600EX-RT & 430 EX II | To see my work head on over to http://photosbytabor.com

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2013, 03:30:39 PM »
Hey Cayenne,

For portrait work, flying solo is nothing new or unheard of for me. Weddings, however, I trust a second photographer to do their part. Fortunately for me, my wife is my co-photographer. She primarily runs her 60D and 35L for the majority of every wedding, this allows me to switch between the 17-40L and 70-200 2.8ii. This set up is simple and gives us great results.

Our last wedding was in a lodge on a very rainy night. I rented the 50 1.2L and 24-70ii both of which I've considered buying. The 24-70ii was AMAZING, but darn expensive, so we're going to wait just a little bit before pulling the trigger on that one. One thing we learned though, we both needed a flash, it seems obvious looking back, (hindsight's 20/20), but I was hoping the 50L at 1.2 on a 5Dii would absorb enough light, which was true for the most part, however, a flash on my body would have made my life so much easier. Within a week, I bought the 600EX-RT. It was a lesson learned the hard way for me, and if I can help out any other forum member by sharing my experience then it gives me the warm fuzzies and I know others will help me with future insight. The image below was shot w/o a flash, 5Dii, 50mm, f/1.2, iso 4,000 and 1/160, so it was still capable of performing when tested.

As for the method to our madness; my wife is incredibly personable and works tremendously well with the brides. I can fairly quickly become friends with the groom and groomsmen. I trust that she takes care of business and likewise, she feels the same for me. I spend the majority of my time, pre-ceremony, following the groom with the exception of spending time, taking ring shots, wedding dress pics, makeup, etc. From the ceremony onward, the bride is our major focus. If things are slow, we attempt to get portraits of every person who came to the wedding, focusing on the oldest and the youngest.

I think anyone could write a book on what they have learned from their first, second, and third wedding. If I can help you or anyone else, feel free to PM me or shoot me an email. It's my way of paying it forward, for those who have helped me in the beginning.

Cheers,
-Tabor

Thank you for the insight!!

Nice pic, I like that!!

Do you find you have much trouble with noise at those ISO's without flash?

Tabor Warren Photography

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2013, 11:15:02 PM »
It really depends. Indoors, when light is accessible, the max I ever push is 3,200, at 4,000 I'm sure the noise would be unbearable. If I absolutely have to. 2,500 puts my heart more at ease for noise, but I rarely even go over 800. Outside, however, I think there is more wiggle room. Softness, shallow depth of field, and even a little under-exposed images can be acceptable if that is what the surrounding conditions limit me to. In the same breath though, this image is one of the many reasons I purchased a second flash. Any time I can keep my iso low I do. I became very confident in using the 430ex ii, so the use of our new flash has become a little easier.

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2013, 11:41:20 PM »
It really depends. Indoors, when light is accessible, the max I ever push is 3,200, at 4,000 I'm sure the noise would be unbearable. If I absolutely have to. 2,500 puts my heart more at ease for noise, but I rarely even go over 800. Outside, however, I think there is more wiggle room. Softness, shallow depth of field, and even a little under-exposed images can be acceptable if that is what the surrounding conditions limit me to. In the same breath though, this image is one of the many reasons I purchased a second flash. Any time I can keep my iso low I do. I became very confident in using the 430ex ii, so the use of our new flash has become a little easier.

Thanks.

Over the past couple weeks...I've managed to pick up a couple of 600EX-RT's on the Canon refurb site....and just now playing with them and having a blast....so, I can definitely see how they are such a valuable tool...

Thank you again for the info and insight!

C

Meatball_Sub

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »
GMCPhotographics, I think at the heart of your comments you are making a decent point, put you are presenting it in a way that makes you look like an arrogant jerk. It took you like 5 comments to say what you should have made clear from the beginning.

OP, I really like these pictures overall. My favorite is the middle one, at night. The off-center framing works very nicely. The kiss at the end is great too (though I recommend considering cropping out the photographer at right ;) ). I think either the second is the weakest overall, and I think for me it's simply because the pose looks too unnatural.

And Tabor Warren, I really like your photo too! It seems a little out of focus to me but I don't think that works against it at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2013, 12:46:42 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2013, 02:20:39 AM »
Clicked the first link and saw some great work.

Is the client happy?  THat is much more important than what we think.

bdunbar79

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2013, 07:57:53 PM »
Sorry but I don't critique photos on open public forums. Why teach the countless wannabies who browse through these pages? Especially for free. My skill and tallent was learned the hard way, by trial and error...but a lot of wannabies want to take quick short cuts and think that a learnt skill can be downloaded and is free. For every poster and replier, there are hundreds of readers.

Thanks, that was really helpful. 

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2013, 08:55:09 PM »
Sorry but I don't critique photos on open public forums. Why teach the countless wannabies who browse through these pages? Especially for free. My skill and tallent was learned the hard way, by trial and error...but a lot of wannabies want to take quick short cuts and think that a learnt skill can be downloaded and is free. For every poster and replier, there are hundreds of readers.

Why teach?

Because life is not a zero sum game? Because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts?

At my age I go to a lot more funerals than weddings. I've noticed the people who are grieved and who are genuinely missed are those who were generous -- with time and talent and love. They were the ones who gave back to their communities, and the photographic community is a community. Those who come here to learn are to be applauded, not considered leeches.

You might do well to sit down this evening and read a little story by Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol. He wrote it so people might understand the joy of giving to one another. It's available free in e-reader editions, but you probably don't want to take it for free so there are versions you can pay for.

The community of people who genuinely care about the art of pictures is small. Those of us who do need to stick together and help one another -- even those too timid to come out and speak openly.

Very well written....and i echo the sentiment.
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

pjdavep

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
The only thing that sticks out to me as a sore thumb is the picture at the alter with the bored bridesmaid and guy in the background with his hand on his crotch. 

*CROP IT* - they don't want memories like that :)

scottkinfw

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2013, 12:24:34 AM »
Kudos

Why teach?

Because life is not a zero sum game? Because the whole is greater than the sum of its parts?

At my age I go to a lot more funerals than weddings. I've noticed the people who are grieved and who are genuinely missed are those who were generous -- with time and talent and love. They were the ones who gave back to their communities, and the photographic community is a community. Those who come here to learn are to be applauded, not considered leeches.

You might do well to sit down this evening and read a little story by Charles Dickens, A Christmas Carol. He wrote it so people might understand the joy of giving to one another. It's available free in e-reader editions, but you probably don't want to take it for free so there are versions you can pay for.

The community of people who genuinely care about the art of pictures is small. Those of us who do need to stick together and help one another -- even those too timid to come out and speak openly.
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

scottkinfw

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »
I am a rank beginner and not a wedding photographer.   That said, backgrounds must be paid attention too, as stated already.  It seems to me when I shoot, that I find this out time and again when I look at the pics on the computer.  One thing you can try is survey the area before the shoot, and be aware before you compose.  Another is open up the aperture for shallow depth of field.

Otherwise, it just take a lot of time and practice, and looks like you are on your way.
sek

hey CRF,

I shot a Wedding this Weekend and i was happy with the outcome, but could use some critique on my work. Just trying to get better so good or bad critique welcome.

Shot with a Canon 6D using the 24-105mm and a Sigma 50mm 1.4 lens. was going to rent a 70-200mm but i thought that space would limit the lens. should i have rented it anyways? ive never used a 70-200mm lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/x2z2001du/8932298506/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/x2z2001du/8931676527/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/x2z2001du/8931665953/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/x2z2001du/8932373318/#
http://www.flickr.com/photos/x2z2001du/8931706561/#
sek
Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, 50D Lenses:  24-70 208 II, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2013, 12:27:55 AM »

scottkinfw

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2013, 12:31:07 AM »
To make such such grandiose statements and to be better than judges, you must be truly great!  Given that you don't give critiques, you really don't need to make a public statement, you just need to not make critiques!  Humility is also a "learnt" skill as is generosity as was pointed out earlier...just saying....

Best to you.

sek

sek

leGreve

• Rebel T5i
  • Full time photographer and film maker omnifilm.dk
    • View Profile
    • leGreve Photography
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 01:34:37 AM »
I only have a moment to reply, but I feel that I should because I think it could help you further.

Your next aim of evolving should be framing; either during the shot or afterwards in Photoshop.

Remember: what you acquire is not necessarily what you need to deliver. Cropping is entirely allowed any time!

So if you have shots that are not "perfect" in the shot itself, then crop off till it works.
For me that shot with the couple facing eachother and the girl standing on the left side of the photo doesn't work because she doesn't add anything to the shot... in fact she almost takes away from the shot.

Kill your darlings, and if you can't kill the darling entirely, then cut her down to size till she fits your need.
5D III -  Zeiss Otus 55mm 1.4 ~ 24-70 2.8L II ~ 70-200 2.8L II IS USM ~ 100 2.8L IS USM Macro ~ 16-35 2.8L II ~ Canon Extender 2x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2013, 01:34:37 AM »