September 30, 2014, 12:15:10 PM

Author Topic: Has anyone ordered from DigitalRev?  (Read 1343 times)

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
Has anyone ordered from DigitalRev?
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »
http://www.digitalrev.com/product/tamron-sp-24-70mm-f/MTAwMDMyMw_A_A?googlebase=1&country=US&gclid=CNXIhcOC2bMCFal_QgodLF0AWQ

I'm pretty sure I am going to buy the Tamron 24-70 for use with my 5D3.  Prices at various outlets are always exactly $1299.  Tamron apparently enforces their standard price quite effectively!

I am not familiar with DigitalRev.  They have good feedback on Google, but one review indicates that the products are shipped from Hong Kong.  I am also concerned about the manufacturers warranty.  At the link above I note a tiny american flag and the words "local warranty" but that doesn't really tell me what I want to hear.

Would like to hear opinions on ordering from DigitalRev.

Thanks!

Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

Has anyone ordered from DigitalRev?
« on: November 18, 2012, 12:26:20 PM »

Aaron78

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Has anyone ordered from DigitalRev?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 12:37:33 PM »
I live in the USA and ordered hoya filters from them for a big savings. There were no issues with receiving the items, but one of the filters had a manufacturing defect. I had to return it to them because it is considered gray market goods and the us distributor wouldn't honor the warranty. The real issue i had from that point was that from the time i sent it back until the time i received the replacement was about 2 months. They paid me back for the return shipping however. Bottom line, the initial shipment went well (if the filter wasn't defective), but you will not have a US warranty assuming that's where you live. I am not bashing them, but i may think twice about ordering anymore goods from them.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 01:25:36 PM »
Its a better deal for those in the UK because the warranty is valid there.  If customs is on the ball, you will pay import duty to the USA, its small, a few percent.
The big issue is the cost and time involved to return it or get it repaired, and it has developed a reputation for problems with internal lens elements coming loose, and decentering issues.
I'd pay more and buy one locally where I could exchange it.  Its probably a better alternative than the original Canon 24-70mmL, but will likely have lower resale value.

drmikeinpdx

• Canon 70D
  • Celebrating 20 years of naughty photography!
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Boudoir Photo
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »
Thanks for the input guys.  I think you are both correct.  I'll probably buy one locally when I'm ready. 
Current bodies:  5D3, 7D, 550D, S100
Favorite lenses: 135 f/2.0 L, 85 f/1.8 200 f/2.8 L, 50 f1.4 Sigma, 40mm pancake, 24-105 L.
blog:   http://www.BeyondBoudoirPhoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:45 PM »