July 25, 2014, 02:48:35 AM

Author Topic: EOS Utility and osX 10.8 Mountain Lion  (Read 23277 times)

Jotho

Re: EOS Utility and osX 10.8 Mountain Lion
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »
Jotho,

Apple's app store policies are definitely not a factor here. EOS Utility is freely available to owners of Canon cameras - not sold at all, let alone through the app store.

And to be clear, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to find that some software is incompatible with the new operating system - especially software that does the kind of communication that EOS Utility does. It is even understandable for a company like Canon to wait until the shipping version of the OS is available before finalizing any updates. (though there are many who would argue against both of these points).

I'm just trying to do due diligence and make sure I'm aware of any potential issues before I upgrade.

I didn't read your response before I replied to Neuro. You're right, it's not about Apple store policies but maybe about Apple as a company. But writing this I didn't know that the latest version wasn't shipping. But I do think that Apple gets away with a lot of stuff that Microsoft doesn't nowadays. My due diligence is to stay away from companies that doesn't try to be compatible.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 03:01:59 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2012, 03:37:59 PM »
[Without trying to be presumptuous, I don't know your insight into software development in relation to business strategies, but this is not unusual and some companies are worse than others

I do apologize that I don't have vast experience of Canon software as I am fairly new to photography (at least in more enthusiastic terms). But tricks in IT I do have seen enough of. Maybe this one is due to laziness/incompetence within the Canon software development department, maybe not.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Apple is above shrewd, even cut-throat business practices.  Samsung, anyone?  But, I don't think that's the case here.  Historically, Canon has lagged behind in getting compatible versions out for the Mac. As was pointed out, they also seem to get printer drivers out faster (which I'm sure makes sense in terms of customer base).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Jotho

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 03:45:32 PM »
[Without trying to be presumptuous, I don't know your insight into software development in relation to business strategies, but this is not unusual and some companies are worse than others

I do apologize that I don't have vast experience of Canon software as I am fairly new to photography (at least in more enthusiastic terms). But tricks in IT I do have seen enough of. Maybe this one is due to laziness/incompetence within the Canon software development department, maybe not.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Apple is above shrewd, even cut-throat business practices.  Samsung, anyone?  But, I don't think that's the case here.  Historically, Canon has lagged behind in getting compatible versions out for the Mac. As was pointed out, they also seem to get printer drivers out faster (which I'm sure makes sense in terms of customer base).

I think that's about it  :D , I took a quick look at the other similar thread and there was a wise person indicating that Canon would likely provide support in a larger SW release together with their printer drivers etc. I will now go back to enjoying my Friday and watch the Olympics inauguration from London.

sdk

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 04:18:20 PM »
Hey there,

2.10.4 and 2.11.0 are working on mountain lion.

EvilTed

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2012, 12:43:04 AM »

2.11.4 does not work with 10.8 Mountain Lion.
When you turn the camera on it core dumps :(

I cannot even get a Windows 7 laptop to recognize the camera with 2.11.4, so I'm stuck.
I bought a shorty forty to mess around with on my 5D MK3 but after upgrading the firmware to 1.1.3, the lens profile is not present and it says the lens is not recognized.

2.11.1 did not include the 40.

How am I supposed to get the lens recognized Canon?

ET

Pixall

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2012, 04:17:41 AM »
Hi guys,
I just bumped mine back to the previous version, 21.1, from 25.0. I bought a 5Diii but could not connect either it nor my 7D after upgrading the software to mountain lion and the latest eos utility.
Appears to work ok but have not tried all modes of opperation. HURRY UP CANON, bad move not checking this out before releasing and disrupting peiples work flow/ cash flow!

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »
I use Windows.  :|

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 04:16:18 PM »

Wideopen

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Looks like i wont be upgrading to mountain lion till the update :/

johnhillman

« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2012, 10:57:51 AM »
I can confirm that at the moment using Mountain Lion 10.8 the Canon Utilities software does not work.
I've not downloaded the latest version of Canon Utilities as it states that it only works with 10.7 so I would prefer to wait until an official 10.8 version is available.

hediz

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2012, 12:13:47 PM »

As I work in the computer software business I know that the best way to get anyone (Canon, MS, IBM, Apple etc) to fix this really quick is to report this to the support.

I enough reports comes in the will turn their attention to the issue and create a fix.
EOS 5d mkIII and EOS 450D and some lenses

photogy

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »
I have a new rmbp with OS X 10.8.2 and the old EOS wifi did not fully work (tethered did) until i just upgraded the EOS utility to v 2.12 for OSX 10.8.2 and now tethered & wifi works fine.

i am using both 5d2 and 5d3 with wifi.

NOTE: (from Canon UK's site)

Precaution: If you are using a version earlier than Mac OS X 10.6.8, please use EOS Utility 2.10.2. - EOS Utility cannot be used with WFT on computers running Mac OS X 10.8.0 to 10.8.1. (It can be used on Mac OS X 10.8.2.)

Whilst i easily sent images to LR3 with WFY on my old mac (10.5.8) i am unable to send images now to LR4 with both wifi units.

Anyone out there using 5d3 or 5d2 with WFT's into LR4? if so be great to know how to send images over wifi!

The EOS utility just allows them 1 by 1.

thanks!

Jotho,

Apple's app store policies are definitely not a factor here. EOS Utility is freely available to owners of Canon cameras - not sold at all, let alone through the app store.

And to be clear, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to find that some software is incompatible with the new operating system - especially software that does the kind of communication that EOS Utility does. It is even understandable for a company like Canon to wait until the shipping version of the OS is available before finalizing any updates. (though there are many who would argue against both of these points).

I'm just trying to do due diligence and make sure I'm aware of any potential issues before I upgrade.

I didn't read your response before I replied to Neuro. You're right, it's not about Apple store policies but maybe about Apple as a company. But writing this I didn't know that the latest version wasn't shipping. But I do think that Apple gets away with a lot of stuff that Microsoft doesn't nowadays. My due diligence is to stay away from companies that doesn't try to be compatible.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2012, 08:49:11 AM »