November 28, 2014, 08:31:11 AM

Author Topic: 1Dx Af points  (Read 1789 times)

paolotaverna

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
1Dx Af points
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »
I have a question concerning 1dx focus points. I want to increase my speed to change from af point on one side to another...(I searched on the forum but did not find quiet what I was looking for)

1) i am presently configured to change focus point with the multi controller( i hated the fact to click on the af selection and then using dials to choose focus point).

2) i have 61 points active...previously i had a D4 and i had a left right top bottom joystick which was darn quick to change. I tested using less af points and hated it

3) I tried registering af point but i hate the fact that it stays lit....and its only one point (Anyone know if there is a work around to not make the registered AF point light?)....this by the way is a nice feature as I have it configured differently on vertical and horizontal...but the fact that the focus point stays there...really is a downer!

Anyone has any tips on this?  How do you guys manage "fast" af point change.  (btw: I shoot weddings...not so much ...and the other spectrum - karate tournaments :-) ).

regards

canon rumors FORUM

1Dx Af points
« on: November 20, 2012, 08:08:36 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1Dx Af points
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
You can set the multicontroller for direct AF point selection in Custom Controls (so you can just move it, no need to press the AF point selection button first).  You can also set the manual AF point selection pattern to Continuous so it 'wraps' - e.g. when you get to the left side, one more left press takes you to the right side.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

SDsc0rch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:24:45 AM »
what neuro said,  plus.....

three thoughts...

-zone AF (I like that sometimes - with one click you move AF a whole quadrant)

-you can register an AF point

-you can assign an AF point to the MFn2 button

here's what I do..

I have 3 AF points available - an upper left exp point assigned to the back button AF point, an upper right AF point registered to the metering  start button (star next to the AF-ON button),  and the center AF button assigned to MFn2

at any given time I have single-button access to focus on left-, right-, or center-AF points

also, customized for horiz and vert orientations
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 09:28:54 AM by SDsc0rch »

Steve Todd

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon SLR/DSLR user since 1976
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:31:43 AM »
I also use the method Neuro pointed out with great success.  Just remember, you can't select a single af point when using AI Servo Case 5 or 6.  I struggled with the single point selection in AI S until I looked closely at the notes for each "Case" selection in the manual.  However, Case 4 works pretty well as an alternate choice to 5 and 6 and does allow single point selection.  Also, the expanded AF point selection (either choice) does work, so you might try that too when using Cases 5 and 6.  Good luck!
EOS-1D X, 1D4, 5D2, 5D, EOS-1V, 1n, and a bunch of lenses.

paolotaverna

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »
SDsc0rch thank you for the reply great stuff!

Question, I know how to register an AF point (which will stay lit),  I have the "joystick" so that when I press it, it goes to my center focus point...

How do you assign a 3rd AF point?

regards

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »