May 24, 2018, 03:57:25 PM

Author Topic: Quick help needed: Polarization filter  (Read 1826 times)

NewFilmmaker

Quick help needed: Polarization filter
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »
For a video shoot on the beach I'm using a polarization filter, but it's the first time I'm using one ;)
Any advise on how to use it?

This I got: I have to turn the filter, but what do I look for? Just the best picture?

I'm a noob :)

canon rumors FORUM

Quick help needed: Polarization filter
« on: November 26, 2012, 11:21:10 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
Re: Quick help needed: Polarization filter
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:26:54 AM »
Yes, you rotate it until you get the effect you desire.  The angle of the sun matters, and best resutls are at 90° to the sun.  If you're moving the camera around for the shot, and you change the angle relative to the sunlight, you'll change the polarization, too - probably with undesirable results (exposure changes, etc.).
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
You rotate the filter until you see reflections or the glare disappear. Piece of cake.  8)

nvsravank

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »
Be careful of using polarizers for video. Polarization works on the angles and if the camera is moving then it can cause issues with different amounts of polarization occuring. Also it causes change in the colors of things and if you are doing a shoot with multiple clips, then color matching and look matching between clips becomes a huge issue. I will suggest that you first try out with polarizer.

As for how it works what others have given is the best answer unless you are not using circular polarizer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 01:04:34 PM »