April 20, 2014, 01:15:48 PM

Author Topic: DPreview adds 6D sample images to their preview  (Read 17831 times)

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: DPreview adds 6D sample images to their preview
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »
Did a quick and dirty comparison using shots from dpreview. Canon 6D against the 5D mkIII at ISO 102400. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/VVoQ6.jpg - or attachment

Very interesting. Thanks for posting this! 

Of course we can't know for sure until we see the raw files if this is clever NR or better sensor design, but the results are very encouraging.  I would prefer the 6D to the 5DIII in this case - far less blotchy colour noise, and better overall colour.  Although there is a slight difference in exposure which is kind of odd, and may have an effect on the comparability.

On a side note, it's nice to know that Canon has given DPReview a per-production camera to play with.  That may mean we can expect a full review fairly soon after the camera is on the market (fingers crossed).
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 12:17:47 AM »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 12:25:28 AM »
6D looks better so far but is logical from my view.  To have a body that is cleaner image wise but slower in AF and FPS. This makes me excited as a 450D user looking at the near endless possibilities.  Just curious what the 7ad2 will do.

It certainly looks interesting.  While I don't know if this comparison is across sufficiently well-controlled environments, the initial view is that the 6D does seem to perform better.  A more accurate reflection will be once DPR has the full reviews of both bodies available and it is possible to compare RAW files of the same scene.

Either way, it may be beginning to look like the 6D is a more interesting camera than many of us initially gave it credit for.  (Not that I am in the market for one.)  For those people who were thinking of still buying a 5DII, rather than waiting for the 6D, it may make the decision a little more difficult.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 12:53:52 AM »
The 6D shots look very interesting.  5D3 is already very good in terms of IQ.  If they are able (and from the looks of it, they did) a little bit with the 6D, I think I'll wait for the 6D.  As long as it can focus properly even in low-light, I don't need the AF of 5D3.  I can't wait for its release.  If it turns out to be not much better than 5D2, then I'll just get the 5D2.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 12:55:57 AM by verysimplejason »

M.ST

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 01:22:12 AM »
Yes. Forget the 5D Mark III and get the 6D if you have SD cards or if you have a lot of CF cards stay with the 5D Mark II oder change from a entry level camera to the 5D Mark II.

But as the 5D Mark III you loose with the 6D over ISO 3200 a lot of fine details. For professional use don´t go higher then ISO 1600 oder ISO 3200 if you don´t make action or wildlife shots.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:44:30 AM by M.ST »

ishdakuteb

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 01:40:49 AM »
that sounds like exactly what i have thought... 6d will have a improvement over 5d mark iii on iso.  however, i am happy with my canon 5d mark iii anyway since i got it with a really good deal at adorama.  in addition, i cross my finger and hope that canon will push an firmware update to improve and maximize 5d mark iii capabilities....

congratulation to whoever has been waiting for upgrading to 6d... it seems a good signal to start with.

onkel_wart

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 02:27:11 AM »
for someone like me coming from a 50D this looks like a dream come true.  :)

nightsky87

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 02:44:25 AM »
Did a quick and dirty comparison using shots from dpreview. Canon 6D against the 5D mkIII at ISO 102400. I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

http://i.stack.imgur.com/VVoQ6.jpg - or attachment

Not to burst anyone's bubble but the 5D3 sample I saw in the DPR galleries was with no NR applied. So unless I missed something, this comparison is like comparing the in-camera NR'd 6D images vs no NR 5D3. Hardly a fair comparison. But these images are certainly encouraging compared to the ones on Flickr.

Okay, I just looked around a bit more and I did see the right samples. So unless there was a significant different between the pre-production 5D3 and the final version, the 6D samples look great! Time to really pre-order this one.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 03:11:59 AM by nightsky87 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 02:44:25 AM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 02:51:58 AM »
The plot thickens... (dramatic pause) dum dum duuummmm...

But seriously, I have no doubt that the IQ will be acceptable; I, and I'm sure many others, are more concerned about the AF.  I fully understand that this is a compromise camera, spec'd and priced for a certain bracket in their lineup; but I'd be very disappointed if the AF performance is less than the 60D.  I know spec wise, it looks to be lesser, but it could still perform better, especially in low light with the -3EV sensitivity.

I really want to be able to like this camera so I can get it plus a decent lens, instead of having just a 5DIII and having to make due with my current mediocre glass.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 04:26:28 AM »
The plot thickens... (dramatic pause) dum dum duuummmm...

But seriously, I have no doubt that the IQ will be acceptable; I, and I'm sure many others, are more concerned about the AF.  I fully understand that this is a compromise camera, spec'd and priced for a certain bracket in their lineup; but I'd be very disappointed if the AF performance is less than the 60D.  I know spec wise, it looks to be lesser, but it could still perform better, especially in low light with the -3EV sensitivity.

I really want to be able to like this camera so I can get it plus a decent lens, instead of having just a 5DIII and having to make due with my current mediocre glass.

For my usage, AF-wise, if it can get AF in low-light even if it's not so fast, I think that's enough for me.  I agree with you.  At least it should be able to surpass 60D AF or else, this is just another glorified 5D2.  If that's the case I'd also consider 5D2.

Marsu42

• 1D X
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 04:34:31 AM »
for someone like me coming from a 50D this looks like a dream come true.  :)

Given that nowadays the camera upgrades are incremental, it pays to wait a little to wait ($$$ and iq-wise) :-) ... and even with the 60d it's the same, if the 6d has 1 usable stop more than the 5d2 that's good news and a reason to get the newer gear.

it's nice to know that Canon has given DPReview a per-production camera to play with.

Where did you get this information? Everywhere I look it has the "The camera used for this gallery was pre-production, and image quality should be considered 'Beta' standard" notice, though that probably only means the in-camera raw-converter / jpeg-engine and not the sensor hardware.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 04:40:37 AM »
Previously in another thread, I've raised the possibility that 6D is built on an entirely new generation of sensor.  After seeing the sample pictures even if they're just pre-production, I'm thinking that 6D's sensor might be it.  Maybe Canon got tired from giving Nikon a lot of advantage in the sensor department.   :o  I'm still crossing my fingers...  I hope they got/nail it with 6D because soon it will be my first FF (forgive me for my enthusiasm, I've waited a lot already).   :)

dtaylor

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 04:41:09 AM »
Here's the 6D studio shot at ISO-6400. And here's the 5DIII shot.

There's either an exposure or a levels difference between the two. I don't see any real difference in noise. If there is a difference, it is well below the threshold of differences introduced by post processing (NR software and technique).

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
Here's the 6D studio shot at ISO-6400. And here's the 5DIII shot.

There's either an exposure or a levels difference between the two. I don't see any real difference in noise. If there is a difference, it is well below the threshold of differences introduced by post processing (NR software and technique).

The 6D shots might be a little bit underexposed compared to 5D3 but nevertheless, I can see it a little bit better than 5D3.  Besides, generally underexposure usually means more noise when processed.  Is this NR or is this really a new sensor technology?  Let's wait till December.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »

dtaylor

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2012, 04:48:04 AM »

Again, there is a lighting / exposure / processing difference at play. It's hard to discern real noise differences with these confounding factors, but any real noise differences are likely less than those introduced by user post work.

Side note: I hate the new DPReview "low light" test. Brightly lit objects against pure black is not the situation where DSLRs struggle. With this test a 7D would produce good 6400 shots. No, the problem is when a lot of your detail falls on the shadow side (not black), especially if you have to lift in post. It's these situations which force me to cap 7D shots at 3200 and 5D2 shots at 6400.

dtaylor

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »

The 6D shots might be a little bit underexposed compared to 5D3 but nevertheless, I can see it a little bit better than 5D3.  Besides, generally underexposure usually means more noise when processed.  Is this NR or is this really a new sensor technology?  Let's wait till December.  :)

You're assuming underexposure vs. the tonal curves of the cameras (or some related setting). At 6400 there's no actual resolution difference, and little noise/contrast/color difference which disappears with a levels adjustment.

At 102k there's more of a difference at first glance. But it could still be due to the camera tone curves.

Sorry, I think people are getting excited about JPEG processing. And not even JPEG NR processing, but small differences in image parameters between a consumer and a pro camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2012, 04:55:56 AM »