December 21, 2014, 01:58:24 AM

Author Topic: 600mm F/4L IS AFMA settings  (Read 10093 times)

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
Re: 600mm F/4L IS AFMA settings
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
I wasn't one of the 2 lucky stiffs that won the lottery last night.  :(
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2012, 02:31:46 PM »
I was not a winner either. Don't worry about it. The best way not to loose a lottery is never to buy a lottery ticket!
 ;)

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 03:07:51 PM »
So with that said, it's time to pull out the credit card!   :P

I was not a winner either. Don't worry about it. The best way not to loose a lottery is never to buy a lottery ticket!
 ;)

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2013, 04:41:42 AM »
Neuro and wearle are on the money. The only thing I'd add is DO NOT USE FLUORESCENT LAMPS OR TUBES. Sorry for shouting it out but it has been one of the significant reasons my tests failed. Also never raise the central column of the tripod.

Best of luck :)

Every single light in my apartment is fluourescent... No wonder FoCal kept giving me inconsistent results. Good to know! I might pick up some cheap lights and then return them afterwards.
:)
It is a real pain. I did it 4 times before realizing it was the fluorescent bulbs! Each time the error would come at a different part of the process. I even wrote to FoCal earlier telling them that I have feedback for them - and that really turns out to be user error! When I changed the bulbs to incandescent, everything worked perfectly!

Guys, please use daylight to calibrate....not artificial lighting. Unless you intend to use that colour temp of lighting to regualrly shoot with. Tungsten lighting will cause minor red light shift errors in AF and Flourcesent lighting pulses at 50hz....which will really confuse the AF system. Some flourecent tubes are tri-tubes which phases at really wild frequencies and they are the worse to attemt to AF with. So do your self a favour....calibrate it in the best light....the natural stuff. If you can't do it during the day time due to work patterns, then take it out on a saturday or sunday and set it up then. If something is worth doing, it's worth doing well.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2013, 07:11:29 PM »
I started outside a couple of weeks ago and although my tripod is super steady (old aluminum Gitzo Tele Studex 5-section model that must weigh 20-25 lbs) the wind was moving the board on which the target was pinned. Big light stand but too much "Sail" area. It's always windy here in the middle of the Pacific where the trades blow in after last touching land 3,000 miles northeast in California.

Two light stands with weights might work so positioned as to allow the clamps to attach to each side of the mounting board... also smaller board area around the target. I have a 300 to test in the mix so some distances involved. Wish that Mk3 test wasn't crippled by Canon's software interface.

I can't really whine about this as the opportunity to test this independently on a lens-by-lens basis is terrific.

jonathan7007

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »
You can get full page address labels at staples or Office Depot.  You can just stick it to a piece of plywood or on the side of your neighbors house that you don't like.  I paste them on foam board but any rigid surface would work.

I started outside a couple of weeks ago and although my tripod is super steady (old aluminum Gitzo Tele Studex 5-section model that must weigh 20-25 lbs) the wind was moving the board on which the target was pinned. Big light stand but too much "Sail" area. It's always windy here in the middle of the Pacific where the trades blow in after last touching land 3,000 miles northeast in California.

Two light stands with weights might work so positioned as to allow the clamps to attach to each side of the mounting board... also smaller board area around the target. I have a 300 to test in the mix so some distances involved. Wish that Mk3 test wasn't crippled by Canon's software interface.

I can't really whine about this as the opportunity to test this independently on a lens-by-lens basis is terrific.

jonathan7007

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2013, 07:26:33 PM »