Rumors > Lenses

What will determine if I buy the 35mm f/2 & the 24-70mm IS f4

(1/2) > >>

Radiating:
Image quality. If they deliver stunning quality then they are a guaranteed purchase, if not then it's a no go.

So far I've been disappointed with the 24 & 28mm IS, while they have better quality than the lenses they replace by far, the way people say they have L image quality is misleading. They have the most entry level L quality and their L counterparts primes are much better.

The 24-70mm IS F4 looks to be a real winner though, it should have the highest IQ for any normal image stabilized zoom and the macro is a nice bonus.

Image quality is the single most important factor above all else for me. Does anyone else feel the same?

RLPhoto:
With the same money of the 24-70 F4L, I could buy a Used 24-105L and 100mm Macro L.

That says enough about my thoughts on that lens.

Radiating:

--- Quote from: RLPhoto on November 20, 2012, 03:33:48 PM ---With the same money of the 24-70 F4L, I could buy a Used 24-105L and 100mm Macro L.

That says enough about my thoughts on that lens.

--- End quote ---

Then you'd have to also buy a 50mm 1.4, 24mm 1.4 35mm 1.4. and 85mm 1.8, if the quality is good enough.

RLPhoto:

--- Quote from: Radiating on November 20, 2012, 05:02:05 PM ---
--- Quote from: RLPhoto on November 20, 2012, 03:33:48 PM ---With the same money of the 24-70 F4L, I could buy a Used 24-105L and 100mm Macro L.

That says enough about my thoughts on that lens.

--- End quote ---

Then you'd have to also buy a 50mm 1.4, 24mm 1.4 35mm 1.4. and 85mm 1.8, if the quality is good enough.

--- End quote ---

Hmmm, I don't connect how wide aperture lenses have to do with a over-priced zoom.  ???

Random Orbits:

--- Quote from: Radiating on November 20, 2012, 03:30:07 PM ---So far I've been disappointed with the 24 & 28mm IS, while they have better quality than the lenses they replace by far, the way people say they have L image quality is misleading. They have the most entry level L quality and their L counterparts primes are much better.

--- End quote ---

Why would non-L lenses that cost less than their L counterparts have better IQ?



--- Quote from: Radiating on November 20, 2012, 03:30:07 PM ---The 24-70mm IS F4 looks to be a real winner though, it should have the highest IQ for any normal image stabilized zoom and the macro is a nice bonus.

--- End quote ---

Looking at the MTFs, the 24-70 f/4 looks to have IQ better than the 24-105 but worse than the 24-70 II.  Given the high price tag of the 24-70 f/4, I'd rather try saving more for the 24-70 II.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version