Gear Talk > Pricewatch Deals

Buying Used Equipment on LensRentals.com

(1/3) > >>

Promature:
Ok, so does anyone have any experience with getting used equipment from them.  I hesitate because rented stuff (e.g., cars) are usually not treated all that well, so what you usually get is some very beat up equipment that won't last as long.  I was hoping to get some feedback from the community as to whether this is an acceptable way of getting good equipment a little cheaper.

EOBeav:

--- Quote from: Promature on November 20, 2012, 06:39:05 PM ---Ok, so does anyone have any experience with getting used equipment from them.  I hesitate because rented stuff (e.g., cars) are usually not treated all that well, so what you usually get is some very beat up equipment that won't last as long.  I was hoping to get some feedback from the community as to whether this is an acceptable way of getting good equipment a little cheaper.

--- End quote ---

Your analogy is a little off. Late model rental cars tend to make more reliable used autos because they've been maintained routinely. It's in the rental companies' best interests to make sure their stuff is working properly and that everybody is happy. There's some competition in the business. If that's true for rental cars, I would think it's true for rental lenses also. Disclosure: I've never bought a rented lens. However, I've heard only good things about the company you mentioned. I'm renting a 135mm f/2 from them coming up, and this will be my first ever lens rental. I see that they have that same lens for sale for about 80% the cost of brand new, and that just might tempt me in the next year or so. Stay tuned for more details.

extremeinstability:
If it's in their stock for 2 years they sell it.  Doesn't mean it was rented out and used every single day.  And a lot of the duration of that is shipping as well.  I'd think if anything they may see less use than used from a person.  I love the idea of buying from them and it's great how often that page updates with new stuff. 

I recently bought a used 24L from them.  On my 5D II I noticed I had bad side variance and sent it back.  They tweaked it a bit and I had the same problem.  It was then suggested maybe my body had a mount to sensor issue that needed fixed, but I could return it or whatever I wanted.  And I noticed this a bit after the initial allowed test days deal too.  I opted to just swap it for the Zeiss 21 and guess what, same thing on my camera.  So alllll that time it was my camera to blame.  They were as good as you could even hope for over it and it wasn't even their problem.   I don't think you can really go wrong there.  Lot easier dealing with a business too.  Don't like something you buy from some random person, eh they may not give you your money back. 

Mt Spokane Photography:
The lenses are heavily used, but well maintained.  Each lens goes thru a sharpness test when it comes back from a rental, and its pretty well checked out.
The lenses are going to have plenty of signs of a rough life, the paint will be scratched, and other cosmetic damage.
However, you will almost certainly get a lens in better working condition with no decentered elements than what you may get buying one from Craigslist.
As to rental cars, rental companies have been recently cited over and over for not incorporating safety recalls, and they likely scrimp on maintenance.  I'd pass on a used rental car, even though most probably will last for many years.

EOBeav:

--- Quote from: Mt Spokane Photography on November 20, 2012, 07:18:17 PM ---As to rental cars, rental companies have been recently cited over and over for not incorporating safety recalls, and they likely scrimp on maintenance.  I'd pass on a used rental car, even though most probably will last for many years.
--- End quote ---

True that, so I'll put my faith in a good compression test first.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version