September 22, 2014, 02:24:58 PM

Author Topic: Buying Used Equipment on LensRentals.com  (Read 3414 times)

Promature

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Buying Used Equipment on LensRentals.com
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »
Ok, so does anyone have any experience with getting used equipment from them.  I hesitate because rented stuff (e.g., cars) are usually not treated all that well, so what you usually get is some very beat up equipment that won't last as long.  I was hoping to get some feedback from the community as to whether this is an acceptable way of getting good equipment a little cheaper.
70D, 10-22mm, 24-105mm f4, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 70-200 f2.8, 430EXII

canon rumors FORUM

Buying Used Equipment on LensRentals.com
« on: November 20, 2012, 06:39:05 PM »

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
Re: Buying Used Equipment on LensRentals.com
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
Ok, so does anyone have any experience with getting used equipment from them.  I hesitate because rented stuff (e.g., cars) are usually not treated all that well, so what you usually get is some very beat up equipment that won't last as long.  I was hoping to get some feedback from the community as to whether this is an acceptable way of getting good equipment a little cheaper.

Your analogy is a little off. Late model rental cars tend to make more reliable used autos because they've been maintained routinely. It's in the rental companies' best interests to make sure their stuff is working properly and that everybody is happy. There's some competition in the business. If that's true for rental cars, I would think it's true for rental lenses also. Disclosure: I've never bought a rented lens. However, I've heard only good things about the company you mentioned. I'm renting a 135mm f/2 from them coming up, and this will be my first ever lens rental. I see that they have that same lens for sale for about 80% the cost of brand new, and that just might tempt me in the next year or so. Stay tuned for more details.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 07:09:57 PM »
If it's in their stock for 2 years they sell it.  Doesn't mean it was rented out and used every single day.  And a lot of the duration of that is shipping as well.  I'd think if anything they may see less use than used from a person.  I love the idea of buying from them and it's great how often that page updates with new stuff. 

I recently bought a used 24L from them.  On my 5D II I noticed I had bad side variance and sent it back.  They tweaked it a bit and I had the same problem.  It was then suggested maybe my body had a mount to sensor issue that needed fixed, but I could return it or whatever I wanted.  And I noticed this a bit after the initial allowed test days deal too.  I opted to just swap it for the Zeiss 21 and guess what, same thing on my camera.  So alllll that time it was my camera to blame.  They were as good as you could even hope for over it and it wasn't even their problem.   I don't think you can really go wrong there.  Lot easier dealing with a business too.  Don't like something you buy from some random person, eh they may not give you your money back. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 07:18:17 PM »
The lenses are heavily used, but well maintained.  Each lens goes thru a sharpness test when it comes back from a rental, and its pretty well checked out.
The lenses are going to have plenty of signs of a rough life, the paint will be scratched, and other cosmetic damage.
However, you will almost certainly get a lens in better working condition with no decentered elements than what you may get buying one from Craigslist.
As to rental cars, rental companies have been recently cited over and over for not incorporating safety recalls, and they likely scrimp on maintenance.  I'd pass on a used rental car, even though most probably will last for many years.

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:22:25 PM »
As to rental cars, rental companies have been recently cited over and over for not incorporating safety recalls, and they likely scrimp on maintenance.  I'd pass on a used rental car, even though most probably will last for many years.

True that, so I'll put my faith in a good compression test first.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

extremeinstability

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Instability.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 07:50:54 PM »
The lenses are heavily used, but well maintained.  Each lens goes thru a sharpness test when it comes back from a rental, and its pretty well checked out.
The lenses are going to have plenty of signs of a rough life, the paint will be scratched, and other cosmetic damage.
However, you will almost certainly get a lens in better working condition with no decentered elements than what you may get buying one from Craigslist.

I almost don't think "most" will have much sign of use.  2 years isn't long and their goal is renting stuff that is extremely new in appearance.  It appears they move their stuff out for sale well before it looks as though it's had a rough life.  You can look at the lens in larger pictures to see how much so anyway.  A 8.5 on there is really like new.  A truly well used looking lens, I don't know what they'd rate it on there.  It's hard to find anything that looks well used.  I think the average renter probably babies their rental afraid of causing damage they'll have to pay for. 

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »

+1....cosmetic damages, marks, and scratches on "L" lens = no buy for me(even though the lens passed all functional test). Unless the sale price is 50% off.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 07:54:21 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 07:51:55 PM »

papa-razzi

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 07:58:42 PM »

I have rented lenses from Lens Rentals 5 or 6  times, and a camera once.  Each and every time the equipment I received was in good working order, and that is the same equipment you are buying.

I know they test each lens after every rental, and keep things maintained, sending lenses to Canon for repair if needed.  They aren't dumping junk, the lenses they sell are in good shape.

I purchased a 70-200 f/2.8 IS from them and had no problems.  They do offer a 3 day inspection period with no questions asked return - but you don't get reimbursed for the shipping.  Also, they warranty the lens for 90 days.  So there is very little risk.

The company is honest and excellent to work with.  They will answer any questions about the history of a specific lens.  They told me the one I bought had been to Canon to fix an AF problem, so I knew what I was getting.

I don't think their normal used prices are much better than you would get elsewhere, but at least you know you are buying from a company that will stand behind their product and will want to make things right if there is an issue.  With the 10% off Black Friday sale, I think their used stuff is a good deal.

If they have something you need or want, I wouldn't hesitate to do business with them.

I know this sounds like a comercial, but there aren't many companies that treat the customer the way they do.
7D  | EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM | EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM |
EF 35mm f/2 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
I have enjoyed my purchase from LR (85mm f/1.8 USM in 7.0/10 condition).  Better condition than any body or lens I've ever purchased through Craigslist or eBay.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

Halfrack

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
1st - see my sig.  I've rented and purchased from them for multiple years.  Stuff in my box I purchased used from them includes 100-400L, 17-40L, 17-55efs plus an 8" LCD for video work.  Rented primes, zooms, big whites and recently a body (5d3 twice).  Also purchased a 24-105L but returned it - more because I decided against it than a lens issue.  Very honest to condition of lens - scratches and all.

Lens Lotto should be happening soon.  They treat their gear like I treat mine - love it, care for it, but use it.  Constantly checking each lens before and after each rental.  Will ship stuff off that they can't repair in house. 

A used lens from LensRentals.com is the safest used lens purchase period.
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 09:59:14 PM »

True that, so I'll put my faith in a good compression test first.
How do you compress a transmission, or air conditioner or onboard computer/  In the old days, a compression test could pretty much tell the issues.
Nowdays, you can't even pull the plugs to test compression with removing half the stuff covering the engine.  The readouts from the computer are about all you have, and they don't tell you if a car was severely abused.  They do have memory devices that record the last XX hours of operation, but only a dealer can access them.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 10:49:51 PM »

Compression test???

That gave me a good laugh. Surely, you must be from a different Century! Let's change those points, plugs and condenser while we're at it. Maybe look at the generator brushes too.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

akclimber

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »

I've purchased a used Canon 24 TSE MK II from them.  The price was very fair, the lens was in better shape than I had expected and they promptly and patiently answered all the questions I had prior to purchase.  Highly recommended.

Good luck!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2012, 11:26:32 PM »

weekendshooter

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »

+1....cosmetic damages, marks, and scratches on "L" lens = no buy for me(even though the lens passed all functional test). Unless the sale price is 50% off.

They have many lenses in perfect cosmetic and functional condition, and they exhaustively test each one between every rental. Any lens found to be outside of their acceptable performance range is repaired in-house or sent back to the manufacturer. I wish I had the resources to take care of my gear that well.

examples of perfect/near-perfect lenses for sale, among many others:
http://www.lensrentals.com/buy/canon/canon-135mm-f2l-serial-number-179315
http://www.lensrentals.com/buy/canon/canon-8-15mm-f4-l-fisheye-serial-number-7800001067

edit: from the ratings on these lenses, you can also see how they almost always purposely underrate the condition to ensure no chance of the buyer receiving a lens in worse condition than expected.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 12:15:59 AM by weekendshooter »

KyleSTL

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »
...they exhaustively test each one between every rental.
+1 and that includes the retired rentals that are up for sale.  Read any of Roger's articles on lens testing and you'll know the pains they go through to ensure happy customers and consistent operation from all their equipment.
Canon EOS 5D | Tamron 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 | 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM
15mm f/2.8 Fisheye | 28mm f/1.8 USM | 50mm f/1.4 USM | 85mm f/1.8 USM | 3x 420EX | ST-E2 | Canon S90 | SD600 w/ WP-DC4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 08:30:58 AM »