Gear Talk > Lenses

24-70 or 70-200??

(1/4) > >>

Cmercado:
I currently have been using the 50mm 1.2 with my MKII for portraits and indoor shoots. However, I would like to expand my lens options and needing a general zoom lens so I have read plenty of lovely reviews about the 24-70 and 70-200. Eventually I would love to have both of these however I can only purchase one of them at this time. Any suggestions on which one I should start with that could give me a good general use until I can also purchase the other? I am torn at this point!

Menace:
70-200 2.8 II stays on my camera about 85% of the time - I find is very versatile for portraits and general walk around use.

Have a look at your Exif data to determine whether you mainly shoot at the wide end or the long end - that should help answer your query.

Have fun :)

B-Man:
Either choosing a 24-70 or 70-200 is fine. Both lens are great and you'll not regret the purchase as i did with my 70-200 2.8ii. My main use is candid, portrait and some occasion also use it for street photography. Now waiting for upgrade from Canon aps-c 1000d to FF 6D.  ;)

Rocky:

--- Quote from: Cmercado on November 20, 2012, 09:09:06 PM ---I currently have been using the 50mm 1.2 with my MKII for portraits and indoor shoots. However, I would like to expand my lens options and needing a general zoom lens so I have read plenty of lovely reviews about the 24-70 and 70-200. Eventually I would love to have both of these however I can only purchase one of them at this time. Any suggestions on which one I should start with that could give me a good general use until I can also purchase the other? I am torn at this point!

--- End quote ---
It depends what you call "General Use".  If your general use is indoor group shots, cityscape, building, wide scenery etc, get the 24-70. If your general use is candit portrait (people, animal or birds) from distance, get the 70-200.

BrandonKing96:
Depends on what you're using it for.  Both are great lenses, but it really depends on what you're using it for.  If you want the longer reach go for the 70-200 but if you want a wider lens, then the 24-70.  But that's all I can say for now.
Best of luck :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version