Rumors > EOS Bodies

Next year's APS-C vs. this year's FF

(1/7) > >>

aroo:
Source: Serious lurking on this forum.

Observation: Two of next year's camera bodies will allegedly get entirely new naming systems: the high MP, and the 7D successor.

Speculation: That's because they'll introduce Canon's new sensor technology. Probably 180nm instead of 500nm (on a side note, I'd love to know more specifics about what that means).

Question: If Canon does implement this tech in a 7D.2, could that APS-C camera produce lower noise at low ISO than current FF cameras?

I ask because I'm pretty invested in EF-S lenses but also very interested in a 6D. Low ISO IQ is the #1 consideration for me. Thanks for any thoughts or info!

sandymandy:
Probably yes but i doubt they will make the APS-C line have less noise than the pro models. Alas i think Canon will just change the naming of their products first and we still have to wait some years til the come up with 180nm technology. By then they will likely start with a new FF including a new super duper hyper atomic exclusive sensor design.

p.s.

i wish canon would make rangefinders but then theyd have to reinvent all their AF lenses so it wont happen *cry*

Gothmoth:

--- Quote from: aroo on November 21, 2012, 01:21:46 AM ---Source: Serious lurking on this forum.

Observation: Two of next year's camera bodies will allegedly get entirely new naming systems: the high MP, and the 7D successor.

Speculation: That's because they'll introduce Canon's new sensor technology. Probably 180nm instead of 500nm (on a side note, I'd love to know more specifics about what that means).

--- End quote ---

i doubt that next years aps-c sensors will be made using a 180nm process.

my wild guess is the high megapixel, high price monster will be the first camera to have a sensor made with a improved manufacturing process.

otherwise it would be complicated to put the needed stuff into the photosites of this 40+ MP camera and get the needed IQ quality.... i guess.

while the 7D and co. show that it is possible with the current 500nm process to produce such small photosites ... it is sure not optimal for a camera aimed at the high quality crowd.

Dylan777:

--- Quote from: aroo on November 21, 2012, 01:21:46 AM ---Source: Serious lurking on this forum.

Question: If Canon does implement this tech in a 7D.2, could that APS-C camera produce lower noise at low ISO than current FF cameras?
I ask because I'm pretty invested in EF-S lenses but also very interested in a 6D. Low ISO IQ is the #1 consideration for me. Thanks for any thoughts or info!

--- End quote ---

WISHFUL thinking, but count me in when the techonoly is here. By then, FF sensor should be noise FREEEEEE

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- End quote ---
I doubt if we will see a APS-C camera with lower noise than a 5D MK III.  There is such a large difference, and improving noise by even 1/2 stop is a big deal.
If Canon actually is able to use a rear illuminated sensor as in their recent patent, then we might see a 1 stop gain, which would be huge.  I'm hoping to see that happen, it would likely appear in a 7D MK II first.
The 180 nm technology allows more pixels, but I doubt if it improves 18mp sensors by more than a tiny amount.
Canon is claiminng that they will have a 100% robotic assembly line.  Thats likely where development money is going.  Canon's strong point is low cost production of very good products, but not necessarily the best.  They can price lower than the competition and still make a larger profit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version