Gear Talk > Lighting

Advice on Gray Fong's Lightsphere compared to Sto-fen Omni-bounce

<< < (8/8)

RustyTheGeek:

--- Quote from: digital paradise on December 05, 2012, 11:43:35 AM ---I spent a lot of money and wasted a lot of time trying to find the latest and greatest. But I guess that is part of the journey. I took a lighting course, gave all my gizmos away and simplified everything. I did not understand diffusion but the word alone is mysterious and it hooked me.

--- End quote ---
I think digital paradise is all over this with some great posts!  He is the man!  Way to go!  However, I'll say this... eBay is a wonderful place to buy a LOT of cheap knock-off flash gizmos to try out and learn without spending a ton of money.  You  could buy about $50-$100 worth of all the different styles and kinds of stuff to learn how it works, how it throws light, etc and then later buy the "good" stuff when you have developed a style and decided what works best for YOU.  There are knock-off chinese versions of EVERYTHING for only a few dollars.  Once your research is done, go out and buy a piece or two of your favorites in high quality that will produce better results and last longer.  The most valuable part of this venture is what you will learn working with all the different tools to see how they differ and how the light is changed using them.

Like this... http://www.ebay.com/itm/7in1-Flash-gun-adapter-Kit-f-Canon-580EX-II-Nikon-SB24-25-26-Nissin-Di622-CA-7A-/180914424142?pt=Camera_Flash_Accessories&hash=item2a1f57094e

I think you get the idea.  Have fun with it and let us know what you choose and what you learn!

digital paradise:
Thanks but I did not figure this stuff out myself. There are  a lot of smarter people than me out there. I just happen to really enjoy this so I invested some time to it. I purchased the flip its for a specific reason. I'm finding the bracket just more cumbersome to use so I will work with them when I have absolutely nothing to bounce off. I will experiment with some ceiling bounce since I have them. As for looking for other modifier, thanks to the link however I'm not going down that path again. It is like a drug. You get one but you always wonder if the next one will be better. Well I used to anyway.

jonathan7007:
Lumiquest made a 5"x7" speedlite softbox for direct attachment whose shape at the bottom allowed the Canon sensor to measure the scene. Velcro on the head needed as with so many other modifiers. I have one. It folds into a very compact 5x7x0.5. Easy to throw in my bag.

The rectangle seen in the attached photo embedded in the white front panel is designed to better diffuse the light coming out of the head. I have opened panels on this ti allow light out the side or top, but rarely.

I do not know if this is still sold.

jonathan7007

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version