November 23, 2014, 08:43:00 PM

Author Topic: Autofocus Upgrade question  (Read 1053 times)

Observable

Autofocus Upgrade question
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »
I have decided that I want to upgrade to a full frame from my 40D.  Of course my 1st choice would be a 5D3 but I think that the price is a little out of my reach.  The 5D2 looks like a better option to me over the 6D but I still have one nagging question.  I have read a lot about the 5D2 autofocus system leaving much to be desired but I am more or less happy with the system on my 40D.  I don't love it but it get the job done most of the time.  I mainly just shoot landscapes but I like to shoot pets and sports just for fun every now and then.  None of witch I do professionally, just an enthusiast. 

So my question is, how does the 5D2 AF compare to the 40D?  Would this be a downgrade or still an upgrade?  Thanks is advance for your help. 

canon rumors FORUM

Autofocus Upgrade question
« on: November 21, 2012, 04:07:43 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Autofocus Upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »
The center point of the 5DII will focus better than the 40D's center point in very dim light.  In most other ways, it's a downgrade.  But for landscapes mostly, the 5DII AF is great. With moving subjects, your keeper rate will drop - learn to shoot bursts. But...the images that are in focus will be much better than the 40D - a worthwhile trade, IMO.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Autofocus Upgrade question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2012, 04:26:15 PM »