July 22, 2014, 10:09:11 PM

Author Topic: Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM First Impressions  (Read 44516 times)

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM First Impressions
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »
Another issue is the over-hyping by the sigma fan club here....contrary to helping sigma's cause this sets the expectations so high  for the new lens that no real lens is going to be able to deliver all that and fix the morning coffee... What are you basing this on? All this started with Roger from lensrental suggesting it is sharp and for once he can give sigma the kudos for turning the corner ... But upon reading his further blogs (including a subsection in canon 35 f2 review where he provides some more info on the sigma 35 f1.4 ) he clearly indicates the bokeh is less than stellar with sigma. Interim, with most stores back ordered for this lens all we have is hype..and more hype.

One could argue that the reason they are now back ordered is because this hype has worked perhaps too well and too many have jumped the cliff with limited evidence on the overall quality...

Overall quality in addition to sharpness includes bokeh, yes, but, it also includes the all important AF performance in real world situations. Sigma  has struggled for generations with AF even when AF was a lot more simpler and let's face it ...seamless AF performance with rather complicated algorithms of the advanced AF systems in 1dx and 5d3 should await further input from more unbiased users. I am open to such a possibility, but I am skeptical without further hard evidence at this time. We will simply have to wait.

So tone it down sigma fanboys... Let more people get their hands on this supposed Cinderella of a sigma lens, and before we whip the step sister Canon 35L as an ugly has-been ...lets get more data.

When you jump on every new bandwagon because fanboys on forums go rabid... You end up with buyer's remorse. Hard cheese! :)

I for one am happy with the old 35L ... it remains in my collection because it is a damn good lens. I may consider version II if it ever comes out but I seem to use this prime seldom... So will have to reassess if ~$1500+ can be justified at that time (so, canon, shall we say... 2017? 2019? ... 2021?)   :P
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 06:36:03 PM by Ray2021 »
“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept” - Henri Cartier-Bresson

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2012, 06:17:28 PM »

sdsr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2012, 07:29:36 PM »
Good point, but I don't tolerate poor quality from any manufacturer.
Canon may be a bunch of shisters for price, but the quality is always top notch...

ET

The first 70-300L I bought this year was no better than my 70-300 non-L, so I returned it (the second one I bought is marvelous, but failed after 3 weeks; it's now fine again - for now, at least).  On Black Friday I bought a (brand new) 70-200 L IS II and was dismayed to see that it produced images that were soft along the right edge, in the bottom right corner (extending well into the image) and along the bottom edge, along with dreadful colour fringing in the same area; I returned it too.  So no, not always....

cliffwang

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2012, 07:41:22 PM »
Another issue is the over-hyping by the sigma fan club here....contrary to helping sigma's cause this sets the expectations so high  for the new lens that no real lens is going to be able to deliver all that and fix the morning coffee... What are you basing this on? All this started with Roger from lensrental suggesting it is sharp and for once he can give sigma the kudos for turning the corner ... But upon reading his further blogs (including a subsection in canon 35 f2 review where he provides some more info on the sigma 35 f1.4 ) he clearly indicates the bokeh is less than stellar with sigma. Interim, with most stores back ordered for this lens all we have is hype..and more hype.

Here is CR.  I believe most people here are Canon fans, not Sigma fans.  You see many people post like "No red ring on it", "I buy only Canon", or even "I don't care how the reviews are, it's not Canon".
I assume you know how to use google search.  Please search Sigma 35mm F/1.4 review, and tell me how many reviews say Sigma/Canon better.  If you do believe most of the reviews, that's fine.  However, I believe there must a reason most reviews give Sigma the crown.  Don't even forget the price between Canon and Sigma is very different.
Canon 5D3 | Samyang 14mm F/2.8 | Sigma 50mm F/1.4 | Tamron 24-70mm F/2.8 VC | Canon 70-200mm F/2.8 IS MK2 | Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro L | Canon Closed-up 500D | 430EX | Kenko 2x Teleplus Pro 300 | Manfrotto Tripod

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »
Here is CR.  I believe most people here are Canon fans, not Sigma fans.  You see many people post like "No red ring on it", "I buy only Canon", or even "I don't care how the reviews are, it's not Canon".
I assume you know how to use google search.  Please search Sigma 35mm F/1.4 review, and tell me how many reviews say Sigma/Canon better.  If you do believe most of the reviews, that's fine.  However, I believe there must a reason most reviews give Sigma the crown.  Don't even forget the price between Canon and Sigma is very different.

Actually this does not address issues raised in my post which you are not quoting...as to your reasoning "that lots of people say this is so" doesn't convince me any... rather some "group-think" is obvious and "me-too" blogs and reviews that follow the original lensrental format or even directly reference it...are not exactly "unbaised" nor always competent.

Lensrental's own blog, it must be said, is rather measured pointing out the bokeh could be a weak spot. I agree there are a couple more out there which I would believe but they are all careful to not over emphasize either the bokeh or the autofocus issues that may well emerge and rather stick to sharpness and the clear price advantage.

I had no beef about the better sharpness, but my posts (scroll back a few not just the last one) raises at least three seperate issues which none of the "Ra Ra Ra!!! reviews" address...certainly with no careful analysis or openly available data.

Only exception is lensrental blog which in fact reinforces the concern about the bokeh with graphs to boot!
http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2012/12/another-35mm-lens-for-canon

This kinda blog is more reliable than someone just stringing words together saying "I think this is one awesome lens!"

The bokeh, and the odd "sigma" color pallet apparent in the galleries that me and others have mentioned are issues to consider.

But perhaps the most important issue that is not clear yet is the autofocus abilities of the Sigma lens (based on Sigma's dismal record with AF to date). Unfortunately you do not quote what I said there:

Overall quality in addition to sharpness includes bokeh, yes, but, it also includes the all important AF performance in real world situations. Sigma  has struggled for generations with AF even when AF was a lot more simpler and let's face it ...seamless AF performance with rather complicated algorithms of the advanced AF systems in 1dx and 5d3 should await further input from more unbiased users. I am open to such a possibility, but I am skeptical without further hard evidence at this time. We will simply have to wait.

So, I am afraid referring to "look at what others say in one-page fanpages" without addressing specific concerns being raised does not provide any clarity. So we will have to wait and see...I hope the sigma hype is true and this induces Canon to up the ante.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 09:08:37 PM by Ray2021 »

RS2021

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: December 22, 2012, 10:18:03 PM »
Hmmmmm... Yes, but isn't it often the intangible qualities that purchasers of overpriced, er.., I mean Premium Equipment, will use to assuage nagging fears that they maybe overpaid? 

"Bokeh" is getting tossed around here in this thread a lot.  And don't forget the one you hear the Zeiss-waffe tossing around so much, which is "color."  Qualities like bokeh are somewhat subjective compared to the more easily quantified things like "sharpness" or "distortion", etc., so sometimes you may tend to see exactly what you want to see when looking at bokeh or color. 

The thing has 9 rounded aperture blades, not 5 flat paddles like my Nifty Fifty.  And even the Fifty's bokeh does not bother me much.  I don't even notice it at all unless I am shooting at twinkle lights with it stopped down.  If "uninspiring bokeh" is the biggest knock against this thing, but you are not seeing sharp little pentagons or hexagons floating around on your images, maybe it's not something to lose much sleep over if the price is reasonable.

Again, this is focusing on one aspect of what I said after tweaking it slightly to bring in the 35 f2 with 5 blades (not the IS version in Roger's blog or the real comparison of 35 1.4L) and then finishing with a punch line that has no relevance to the original statement...  rather a cheap ploy to make a point and is no better than the three card trick... that allusion or comparison was never made in my posts regarding the sigma bokeh.

The primary issue raised that every sigma supporter has skirted or avoids addressing is the dismal rap-sheet with regards to AF that Sigma has over the years accrued, that is longer than my 70-200 2.8L II (with the hood on)!... 

And my point was not to dismiss the sigma off hand, but to point out concerns that have been raised and to "wait and see" how this pans out. This was not a broadside attacking anyone's fealty to Sigma brand name.

If you like it from what you have seen, go get one ;)

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 22, 2012, 10:34:01 PM »

The bokeh, and the odd "sigma" color pallet apparent in the galleries that me and others have mentioned are issues to consider.

[/quote]

You see, if I and others can afford the top quality stuff to begin with, or at least justify paying such a high price just for the 'colors' (which, as important as color fidelity is, sounds utterly ridiculous in paying so much for in this digital age). Then there wouldn't be these competitive brands releasing such products, and frankly, doing good business.
If you've got a 35L already and are upset that people are dissing 'your' lens and don't want to feel left behind then get the Sigma for yourself, while if you're happy with the 35L then KEEP IT! Sigma is here for people like me, who can pay just enough for their new lens and not quite enough for even a used copy of Canon's 14+ year old design.
So what if there's hype, it's there for a reason, let the potential losers be disappointed and run back to Canikon and have them say "sorry, you're right, I'm never getting Sigma" and then there will be winners who produce great shots with the lens regardless.

And bokeh rendition and how good/bad it is is so subjective, if it's busy, swirly albeit still smooth and not full of CA then that's great for me (sure, busy and smooth don't always go together), but I personally like what the Sigma is producing in terms of bokeh, and after reading some blog posts from real-world pros that ditched their name brand 35mm lenses for the Sigma and report how happy they are with it (with the "yeah the colors don't pop as much, but I don't care" response), I feel fairly confident that I'll personally report back that I'll like the lens once I get it.

As for their history of poor AF, yeah, my 70-200 OS is fast and spot on, never missed, although it needed some AFMAing after I adjusted I never had to touch that, if anything my Canon 5DII that has LOUSY AF might not lock focus. Oh, but we're not talking about camera but lens AF, reason for Sigma to bring out the USB lens dock to fine adjust the lens in the future... don't know how effective that'll be but at least they're not selling-and-forgetting.

minim2

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »

At least, with this new sigma, no of potential used 35L buyers (or maybe 24L buyers too who are not sure which FL to get or get first) will be lot less. even used 35L is lot costlier than new sigma... which is a good thing for us as a consumer. Even I was thinking to buy one used 35L earlier but decided on sigma.. so far I am happy.

6D, 24-70 II, 85 1.8, 135L, EOS-M, EFM 11-22, EFM 22

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #141 on: December 22, 2012, 11:05:05 PM »

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 22, 2012, 11:47:41 PM »
Good point, but I don't tolerate poor quality from any manufacturer.
Canon may be a bunch of shisters for price, but the quality is always top notch...

ET

The first 70-300L I bought this year was no better than my 70-300 non-L, so I returned it (the second one I bought is marvelous, but failed after 3 weeks; it's now fine again - for now, at least).  On Black Friday I bought a (brand new) 70-200 L IS II and was dismayed to see that it produced images that were soft along the right edge, in the bottom right corner (extending well into the image) and along the bottom edge, along with dreadful colour fringing in the same area; I returned it too.  So no, not always....

Indeed.  I had a 17-55 f/2.8 that was WAY soft on the right (but still a great lens!).  I also went through two copies of 16-35 f/2.8's that were soft on the left (even on a crop body!) before giving up.

Moral of the story?  Check your gear when you buy it!  I've switched completely to buying locally so I can test gear and return it easily.  Yes, I pay a bit more for the privelege (although not much)... but man is it nice to have a return happen in minutes instead of weeks!

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 23, 2012, 02:13:55 PM »
Just got this lens, and I can tell you that on my copy it's razor sharp, and the AF is really good. The lens keeps up well with the AI servo on my 7D

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #144 on: December 23, 2012, 02:20:46 PM »
Just got this lens, and I can tell you that on my copy it's razor sharp, and the AF is really good. The lens keeps up well with the AI servo on my 7D

+ 1000 I hope:) I bought mine yesterday. Getting it in January when I return from Christmas holidays @ my in-laws :)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 23, 2012, 02:22:47 PM »

+ 1000 I hope:) I bought mine yesterday. Getting it in January when I return from Christmas holidays @ my in-laws :)
It hasn't dropped focus yet in any way that wasn't my fault. I'm not used to a DOF this thin

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #146 on: December 23, 2012, 02:33:35 PM »

It hasn't dropped focus yet in any way that wasn't my fault. I'm not used to a DOF this thin

:)
1Dx, 5DII w/grip, 3x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon: 8-15L, 16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 17L TS, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

jeffabbyben

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »
I was at an office party last night with my sigma 35 1.4.  It was great at finding focus at all cross type focal points.  It is razor sharp and I personally love the bokeh.  I am not a professional (as you will be able to tell) but if you are interested in seeing the images here is the link.  The office party is all the sigma

http://www.firstcurtainphotography.com/p908381766#h4eccca78

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #147 on: December 23, 2012, 04:07:58 PM »

Ewinter

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 23, 2012, 05:57:15 PM »
I was at an office party last night with my sigma 35 1.4.  It was great at finding focus at all cross type focal points.  It is razor sharp and I personally love the bokeh.  I am not a professional (as you will be able to tell) but if you are interested in seeing the images here is the link.  The office party is all the sigma

http://www.firstcurtainphotography.com/p908381766#h4eccca78

Cool, what camera was it?

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »
Perhaps i'm one of the sigma fanboys? that's a good one. For me, purchasing the sigma 35 was really going out on a limb. I've wrote things on this site before about my discontent with Sigma. biased? yes, and not in sigma's favor. I pretty much hated sigma. crummy construction, poor AF, questionable IQ, crap for shooting against light, and probably the worst- crap service. Once they had a 70-200 of mine for AF calibration. they had it for something like 2 months. I was actually told that they were waiting on a part that was on a ship coming from japan. when i finally got the lens back, it had a nice nick on it, down to bare metal. They also nicked my 24mm 1.8. they've since released like 7 different versions of their 70-200mm, very comforting.  it's nice until you get your hands on a canon 70-200.   
  As i've said this sigma lens is different. It's an order of magnitude better than anything i've ever seen from them. feel free to move the goal posts so that the old canon is still the one for you. this reminds me of my minolta days, they are always quick to find some canon/nikon characteristic that they thought was a dealbreaker.

really, that's enough sigma bashing. call me what you will, i couldn't care less. i'm just here to learn, advise and perhaps get a laugh.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #149 on: December 23, 2012, 07:50:07 PM »