August 20, 2014, 12:37:01 PM

Author Topic: What would you do? Crop or FF  (Read 4133 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: What would you do? Crop or FF
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
Unless you really want to shoot sports or track your kids imho the 5d3 would be overkill...
There's the thing...  My 5DII had trouble keeping up with my toddlers. My 7D could, but when they were running around indoors, the high ISOs needed were too noisy.  The 5DIII should address both issues (the 1D X certainly has!).
61pts Advance AF system in 5D III is one of my primary reasons I switched from 5D II to III - perfect for active kids.

Am I missing something here - I did write that to track your kids the 5d3 is the best body, didn't I? The "really" in "If you really want..." was meant as in "not just occasionally once a year".

6D AF tracking doesn't look very promise at all.

In comparison to the 5d3 - of course not. In comparison to the d600 - doh. But except for that, it really depends how the non-center af points on the 6d will do - at least it has 11 points (my 60d: 9) and the firmware does allow for tracking customization (unlike my 60d). We'll only know after the first real life reviews if the 6d will do for tracking in non-critical situations.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »

gmrza

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
I wouldn't bother with a 7D or 60D, given that you have the T2i/550D, which has essentially the same sensor - so from a point of view of IQ, you don't get any improvement.  The only reason to move to a 7D is if you need environmental sealing, better AF or more fps.

... and better usability (lcd display, back wheel, more firmware features) which is a big plus - I wouldn't want to go below a 60d. But of course this is a bad time to get the 18mp sensor - the old 18mp cameras will be cheaper after the rumored 7d2 update.

To extend that comment: it is probably a good time for buying full frame bodies at the moment, but a bad time for buying crop frame bodies.  You do however first need to make your decision whether you want full frame or APS-C.

Right now, we know what full frame bodies Canon is likely to have for the next 3 odd years.  Canon still has to play its hand with respect to APS-C, and we will probably know what the next round of bodies will look like by about March next year. - Hopefully, at least, the 7DII (or the 7D's successor) will be known.

For me, I suspect that the 7D will be the last APS-C DSLR body I own.  I do still see APS-C having a place for me in a smaller form factor - I am hoping that Canon will soon announce a more advanced EOS-M body - the current one doesn't cut it for me.  That will hopefully provide a replacement for my G11.

Either way, it is worth remembering that current APS-C DSLRs are probably providing better IQ than 35mm film.  In fact, when I got my EOS 350D and compared to the results from from EOS 650, it was clear that I was at least as well served with the 350D.  (That doesn't stop me from shooting the odd film with the 650 for purely sentimental reasons.)  We are at a point where we are very privileged in terms of the equipment available to us.

Oh, and for those who argue that you don't need a full frame DSLR for personal use, that is like arguing that that I shouldn't buy a road bike with a 105 groupset for commuting, but ignoring that I do ride 70km a day....
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2012, 05:48:07 PM »
The discussion about apparent depth of field in the upcoming APS-C announcements thread got me to thinking about maybe switching over to FF.  I mostly take family pictures, so getting a nicer DoF would be welcome.  So, here's how this would go down:
1) Sell T2i with 18-135 kit lens ($600 after Amazon cut)
2) Sell 17-55 f 2.8 ($650 after Amazon cut)
3) Buy Used 5DIII (LensRentals sale) or 6D and 40mm pancake ($2300).
Total cost of coverting: $1050.

I wouldn't want to spend any more money for a zoom (24-70 or 24-105), so the pancake would have to do.

So, what you would you do?  Would it be worth $1050 and would you trade FF for the lack of a normal zoom lens?

Or Buy a sigma 35 1.4. Total savings: a nice bit.
What is truth?

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2012, 06:28:19 PM »
Unless you really want to shoot sports or track your kids imho the 5d3 would be overkill...
There's the thing...  My 5DII had trouble keeping up with my toddlers. My 7D could, but when they were running around indoors, the high ISOs needed were too noisy.  The 5DIII should address both issues (the 1D X certainly has!).
61pts Advance AF system in 5D III is one of my primary reasons I switched from 5D II to III - perfect for active kids.

Am I missing something here - I did write that to track your kids the 5d3 is the best body, didn't I? The "really" in "If you really want..." was meant as in "not just occasionally once a year".

6D AF tracking doesn't look very promise at all.

In comparison to the 5d3 - of course not. In comparison to the d600 - doh. But except for that, it really depends how the non-center af points on the 6d will do - at least it has 11 points (my 60d: 9) and the firmware does allow for tracking customization (unlike my 60d). We'll only know after the first real life reviews if the 6d will do for tracking in non-critical situations.

Aside from a very good set of already published photos, I think the IQ of 6D is already a good sign that Canon did their homework.  I hope Canon got it also with their AF.   It's not how many AF points you put but how sensitive they are.  As only the center one is a cross-point, I can only hope for the better for the other AF points.

MichaelHodges

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2012, 06:32:39 PM »
I've been contemplating swapping out my 7D for this 6D or the 5D III. I had two reservations:

1. Low ISO dynamic range versus the latest Nikon offerings
2. Auto focus

I'm not really keen on in-camera jpegs at high ISO, but rather taking a look at the RAW file.

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2012, 06:35:43 PM »
It's not how many AF points you put but how sensitive they are.  As only the center one is a cross-point, I can only hope for the better for the other AF points.

Actually, for tracking moving subjects, a lot of it is how many there are, and the more of them, the more densely spaced, the better.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
I've been contemplating swapping out my 7D for this 6D or the 5D III. I had two reservations:

1. Low ISO dynamic range versus the latest Nikon offerings
2. Auto focus

I'm not really keen on in-camera jpegs at high ISO, but rather taking a look at the RAW file.

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/

Whenever you consider Nikon, you would also have to ask yourself... How much do I lose when I sell the glass I own and replace it with Nikon compatible lenses?  Is it ok with my wallet?  You can do a lot of other things with that money I bet, a good strobist equipment or a new lens.  How comfortable am I with the ergonomics and controls of Nikon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »
It's not how many AF points you put but how sensitive they are.  As only the center one is a cross-point, I can only hope for the better for the other AF points.

Actually, for tracking moving subjects, a lot of it is how many there are, and the more of them, the more densely spaced, the better.

Correct but I'm just hoping for a few very good points in 6D since it's already advertised that it'll only have that many AF points.    That said, I'd rather have few good points than many but isn't sensitive enough.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 07:21:53 PM »