wifi works only as far as 5m
GPS coordinates are 3 km off
canon speedlites will not work in TTL mode
EF mount pins will lose contact after changing lenses a few times
absolutely no details in RED colors
the battery explodes
the camera only makes boring pictures
AF will only work proper with sigma lenses
the plastic EF mount (a last minute change) makes ugly noise when changing lenses
only working mode is "P"
light leak
pentaprism take on a brownish color after some time
display language can not be changed from japanese
first firmware update will brick the camera
to much DR.. so images will look flat

Author Topic: What will be the issue with the 6D  (Read 22470 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: What will be the issue with the 6D
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »
For me the issue with 6D was IQ. The AF was good as was the ISO. I sent mine back and got a 5D3.

Either you got that mixed up - or what factor in the iq are you talking about - sharpness, metapixies, ...?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2012, 06:20:26 PM »

HawkeyeOC

« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2012, 07:00:02 PM »
Well...I got my 6D...and the Wi-Fi was DOA.  The rest of the camera worked well. I did a shoot with it this weekend before I sent it in for repair.  I have to say, the High-ISO performance is phenomenal.  ISO 1600 looks like 100 on my 7D.

So far so good with mine. The first chance I had to play around with it was indoors at night at home. High-ISO performance is amazing! Being an early adopter of the 6D, its more than possible there will be issues. I can accept that with a new camera. I live 20 minutes from their repair facility.

BTW- I believe that a person like me is a likely target market for this type of camera. This is my first full frame. In fact, I skipped crop sensor DSLRs all together after owning a bullet proof AE-1 Program and having access to a couple of T-90's from the film days. when film died a sudden and violent death, money went into point and shoot digital cameras and camcorders  with the kids.
So I am going from an S100 to this. I would outgrow a T4i in a month, The 60D and 7D crops are going to be who knows what next year, and the 5Dmkiii is too much camera for me.
Good entry level full frame DSLR. If I grow out of this, maybe the 5D mark 4 or something.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
For me the issue with 6D was IQ. The AF was good as was the ISO. I sent mine back and got a 5D3.

Either you got that mixed up - or what factor in the iq are you talking about - sharpness, metapixies, ...?

I think he got a defective 6D because no one but him has experienced it.  He already said so in a different thread.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2012, 07:29:51 PM »
Well...I got my 6D...and the Wi-Fi was DOA.  The rest of the camera worked well. I did a shoot with it this weekend before I sent it in for repair.  I have to say, the High-ISO performance is phenomenal.  ISO 1600 looks like 100 on my 7D.

So far so good with mine. The first chance I had to play around with it was indoors at night at home. High-ISO performance is amazing! Being an early adopter of the 6D, its more than possible there will be issues. I can accept that with a new camera. I live 20 minutes from their repair facility.

BTW- I believe that a person like me is a likely target market for this type of camera. This is my first full frame. In fact, I skipped crop sensor DSLRs all together after owning a bullet proof AE-1 Program and having access to a couple of T-90's from the film days. when film died a sudden and violent death, money went into point and shoot digital cameras and camcorders  with the kids.
So I am going from an S100 to this. I would outgrow a T4i in a month, The 60D and 7D crops are going to be who knows what next year, and the 5Dmkiii is too much camera for me.
Good entry level full frame DSLR. If I grow out of this, maybe the 5D mark 4 or something.

+1.  or a 1DX2 since you like skipping series models.   ;D

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2012, 07:43:02 PM »
I also duly note that a mod has a very low pain threshold for posts favoring Nikon :-) ...

[/quote]

Not so much a low threshold for Nikon favoring, than speaking in absolutes.  I think after all the posts (not from you, but in general) about how the 5D3 was the worst camera ever... and then once users have them in their hands 99% love them.  And now the same thing happening with the 6D, gloom and doom, total Canopocalypse... but actual users seem to like them.  You just happened to be in the blast radius when I was particularly annoyed, so sorry about that.  And just ignore the fact I'm a mod, I'm just a spam/profanity/personal attack janitor, my opinions are purely my own.

Your compilation of things that are good about the 6D is quite excellent.  It's well thought out, objective...  a very valuable post.  I would not hesitate to direct someone trying to decide on 7D/5D2/5D3 in the direction of that post.

"Clear Edge": once again absolutes (grrrr, lol)...  If low light AF is important, high ISO, EF compatibility, or even if WiFi or GPS are important... Then that clear edge may be quite a bit blurier for someone else than it is for you.
[/quote]

This only goes to show that moderators are also humans. I think you reacted the same way, but inverted so to say, as many other do when they log on to read and contribute to the forum and find too many trolling posts complaining about gear that they don't have or are even considering buying. Kudos to you for acknowledging that though. Thanks!

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2012, 12:54:36 AM »
Surprisingly enough, not everyone has the same requirements as you; so your blanket statements declaring the absolute inferiority of the 6D are utterly worthless, and make you look silly.
I also duly note that a mod has a very low pain threshold for posts favoring Nikon :-) ...

... but when your blood pressure went through the roof you overlooked that the post was intended a bit on the striking side, a click on my profile reveals I even did a large compilation of things the 6d is good at: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=11309.0

Still, and short since this is rather ot: As an "entry level ff" the d600 has the clear edge, and I dare to say that except for low light af the other things in favor of the 6d are unlikely to matter to the targeted customer group if they aren't bound to a brand by prior investments. Peace.

Not so much a low threshold for Nikon favoring, than speaking in absolutes.  I think after all the posts (not from you, but in general) about how the 5D3 was the worst camera ever... and then once users have them in their hands 99% love them.  And now the same thing happening with the 6D, gloom and doom, total Canopocalypse... but actual users seem to like them.  You just happened to be in the blast radius when I was particularly annoyed, so sorry about that.  And just ignore the fact I'm a mod, I'm just a spam/profanity/personal attack janitor, my opinions are purely my own.

Your compilation of things that are good about the 6D is quite excellent.  It's well thought out, objective...  a very valuable post.  I would not hesitate to direct someone trying to decide on 7D/5D2/5D3 in the direction of that post.

"Clear Edge": once again absolutes (grrrr, lol)...  If low light AF is important, high ISO, EF compatibility, or even if WiFi or GPS are important... Then that clear edge may be quite a bit blurier for someone else than it is for you.

I don't think the issue was the 5D3 wasn't a fantastic camera, it just wasn't a fantastic camera @ 3499$.

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »

I think he got a defective 6D because no one but him has experienced it.  He already said so in a different thread.

Correct, as I stated elsewhere, mine very well may have been a dud. However, I've also seen other posts talk about exposure metering issues which were consistent with what I saw.

The IQ issues were color renditions and the way "light dynamics" rendered, which is best described as shadows seemed monochromatic and brights seemed to blow out easily while oddly the picture overall is underexposed.

And as I stated elsewhere, I thought the AF was actually pretty good, as was ISO performance in terms of noise.

This is compared to my 5D2 and 50D. and as stated before I tested a sample of one, ymmv, jmo. I just went ahead and went with a 5D3 instead since it is a known quantity and despite not wanting to spend more, would rather just do it and be done with it.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2012, 10:33:11 AM by skitron »
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »

Badger

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2012, 11:12:50 AM »
OK, I hesitate to post this because I don't want to be seen as one of those posters who seem to complain about everything. So, before I complain, (or make a suggestion to Canon) I will say I just came from a 20D to the 6D and I am happy as a pig in slop. I am also not a professional photographer and can go days without using my camera.

Here is my complaint. I wish Canon would have included an auto off for GPS or a physical switch to turn it on or off. Its been a couple of days since I've picked up my camera and last I saw it, the battery was at about 75%. Now its at 50%. Yes I know I can go through the menues to turn GPS off, but that is kind of a pain. I also know that most of you don't seem to care about GPS and will probably leave it off given the chance, but I think it's kind of cool to have and in fact want my pictures geo tagged.

To be clear, I love this camera but if Canon is listening, how about an auto off for GPS? I would rather have that, and have to wait a minute to acuire a lock than to pull my camera out and find the battery dead...(maybe thats the answer, Ill take the battery out every time I put the camera away)
Canon 6D, EF 70-200 f/4 L USM, EF 24-105 f/4 L IS USM, EF 35 f/2 IS USM, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 85 f/1.8 USM, 580EX

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2012, 10:42:18 PM »
OK, I hesitate to post this because I don't want to be seen as one of those posters who seem to complain about everything. So, before I complain, (or make a suggestion to Canon) I will say I just came from a 20D to the 6D and I am happy as a pig in slop. I am also not a professional photographer and can go days without using my camera.

Here is my complaint. I wish Canon would have included an auto off for GPS or a physical switch to turn it on or off. Its been a couple of days since I've picked up my camera and last I saw it, the battery was at about 75%. Now its at 50%. Yes I know I can go through the menues to turn GPS off, but that is kind of a pain. I also know that most of you don't seem to care about GPS and will probably leave it off given the chance, but I think it's kind of cool to have and in fact want my pictures geo tagged.

To be clear, I love this camera but if Canon is listening, how about an auto off for GPS? I would rather have that, and have to wait a minute to acuire a lock than to pull my camera out and find the battery dead...(maybe thats the answer, Ill take the battery out every time I put the camera away)

I wouldn't classify this as much as a complaint as a finding after a few weeks of using. Very relevant obviously. We'll see how they will do with this in the future. If the GPS will become a more used feature, maybe it will be given its own switch over time. On the other hand, they can't fill up the camera with too many switches. Is it the same with Wifi?

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »

I registered both WiFi and GPS to the "My Menu", that way I can access them quickly.  I've also gotten in the habit of checking the top LCD when I put my camera away.  It'd be nice to have an auto off feature, but I can live with it.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #99 on: December 14, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »