July 28, 2014, 08:40:58 AM

Author Topic: EOS 6D launch and effect on 5D MkII & MKIII  (Read 11096 times)

Myth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 6D launch and effect on 5D MkII & MKIII
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »
Interestingly, a UK retailer is offering a £194 price drop on the 5D MkII for today only. With the 6D perhaps arriving next Monday in the UK could this be the start of a big price drop for the 5D MKII towards its eventual end of production?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 09:35:07 AM »

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 10:32:43 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the advantages of built in wifi for videographers. We fly a 60D on a crane sometimes and being able to see what I'm recording wirelessly on any of my pocketable screens, or even a tablet will be ground breaking for that kind of work. Or how about those shots where the camera is hidden? I've done a shot with a dslr that was inside a fridge and though its a rare shot, the convenience of less takes is always welcome. Directing via cell phone? Man... I'm betting anything the magic lantern guys are already thinking of ways to play with the wifi function.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Myth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2012, 08:00:27 AM »
Canon EOS 6D in stock in UK at Wex Photographic. Interesting times ahead...

Myth

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 08:04:39 AM »
UK customers should have 6D delivery by Friday...

WhoIreland

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2012, 08:51:01 AM »
the wifi option in this camera isnt just meant for just uploading pics to the web.. much like the gopro helmet cams, you can completely control the camera from a remote or from your smart phone. you can set and control every aspect of the camera from it. It could be an incredibly powerful feature if Canon ever opened up the SDK (software  development kit) to software developers. If they were to ever do that, a developer could write an application for a computer or smart phone that could completely control the camera and add new modes of shooting or different functionality. This is just the start i hope.

+1

This is actually one of the major reasons I want this camera over the 5D2.  I often shoot things at odd angles or locations, and being able to control the camera remotely would be awesome.  Also I carry around a iPad most of the time, and being able to review photos quickly on that without any cables, adapters, etc, would also be a fun feature to have.  I process RAW before I upload anything, but still for checking the images it would be good.

From a consumer point of view, I could see this being the ultimate self-portrait camera.  Using a phone to get your framing and focus right while away from the camera would be awesome.

From a pro point of view, being able to wireless transfer images to a computer in studio would also be handy.

I would love it if they would release the API, or if someone could reverse engineer the API.  I could see doing some really cool things with that.

Is WiFi a need to have feature? I actually don't think so, but it could sure be a nice to have feature.

Excuse my ignorance here guys, but my understanding of a wifi camera is that it is WIFI enabled
i.e. can connect to a wifi network
So all the features of wireless control,viewing on ipad instantly,and writing to laptop, are all only available if all items are on the same wifi network i.e. at home !

if you're in the field,so to speak, they won't be on wifi....
it's not like bluetooth where one item can communicate with another

or am i missing something.......?
5d2 , 5d3 , eos3 , 35L , 100 2.8 macro, 24-70L II , 70-200L II , 135L, 17-40L, 600exrt

7enderbender

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2012, 09:34:10 AM »
With the 6D due to be launched in the coming weeks what does everyone think will happen to the 5D MK II? Will it disappear? Quickly, or be phased out gradually? Possibly a reduction in price for the MK II so that it is not too close to the 6D price and competing with it?

The 5D MKIII has been gradually dropping in price but must be about to reach a limit so that it doesn't compete with the 6D? Presumably this limit will need to hold for a good 6 months to allow the 6D to capitalise on profits from initial sales? i.e., no further price drops on the 5D MKIII for a while...

Is there a market that can support all 3 cameras? !

I recently spoke to a sales person at a camera event who suggested that there may be a market for all three cameras and that Canon had no plans to cease production of the 5D MKII. But at a relatively close price point to the 6D this surely cannot be good for sales of either camera?

I think there may be a market for it, but it's not very likely that Canon will keep it up like this. But I sure hope the MarkII will still be available throughout 2013 since I'd be the kind of customer who still wants another one of these as backup. I'm not interested in the 6D whatsoever while the MarkIII is really nice but the added cost are not justified for my needs. The Mark II does the job more than fine.
5DII - 50L - 135L - 200 2.8L - 24-105 - 580EXII - 430EXII - FD 500/8 - AE1-p - bag full of FD lenses

ktabes

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
I'm still confused as to why people don't think there is a market for this camera. Of course there is!!

As someone who enjoys the outdoors and traveling, the gps and smaller body is awesome. And as an enthusiast I am completely bored with what my t3i had to offer and am excited about upgrading to a full frame.

The low-light capabilities and wifi is also a big bonus for those in media who need to shoot photos/videos on the run. Even with no headphone jack, those traveling light with an h1 will be fine.

I think this/or the d600 is a great option for those leaping into full frame, and need something that gets straight to the point.

Besides, its not out yet, so who cares?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »

MarkII

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2012, 10:19:16 AM »
So all the features of wireless control,viewing on ipad instantly,and writing to laptop, are all only available if all items are on the same wifi network i.e. at home !

if you're in the field,so to speak, they won't be on wifi....
it's not like bluetooth where one item can communicate with another

Many mobile devices can create ad-hoc WiFi networks. For example, my (Nokia) phone has several apps that can be used to create a WiFi network to allow 3G connection sharing with a laptop.  Many PC or Mac laptops have the ability to create adhoc WiFi networks too.

I also think that this is one of the most positive developments in the 6D. I wish that the 5DIII could do this out of the box, as it could be very useful for macro/wildlife shooting, and it opens up a host of possibilities for using apps to provide smart triggering (eg on a sound) or remote live-view monitoring.

wookiee2cu

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2012, 01:04:32 PM »
I don't see the 6D hurting the 5D MIII as the 5D MIII is a more advanced body.  However, I do see the 6D affecting the 5D MII and would be surprised if it continued much longer but it sounds like Canon does intend to keep it around for a while so we'll have to wait and see.  As far as 5D MIII pricing, as of November 1st Canon put in place MAP pricing for all authorized Canon dealers which is the $3,499 minus any rebates Canon has on the body.  You will see other stores advertise below this price but they are not Canon Authorized dealers (and if they are Canon will probably catch them sooner or later), supposedly they still come with a warranty and everything so technically there shouldn't be a risk purchasing from them but as with anything it's a gamble.  Should these non-authorized stores continue to discount the bodies heavily I wouldn't be surprised to see their shipments from Canon to start to shrink in quantity. 

cinema-dslr

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2012, 01:26:18 PM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the advantages of built in wifi for videographers. We fly a 60D on a crane sometimes and being able to see what I'm recording wirelessly on any of my pocketable screens, or even a tablet will be ground breaking for that kind of work. Or how about those shots where the camera is hidden? I've done a shot with a dslr that was inside a fridge and though its a rare shot, the convenience of less takes is always welcome. Directing via cell phone? Man... I'm betting anything the magic lantern guys are already thinking of ways to play with the wifi function.

It would have been great for videographers only wifi doesn't work in video mode.!!
maybe ML will fix this in the near future
Canon eos C100+ninja2 ninjablade, 7D, 40d, 17-40 f4L, 24-70 f2,8L, 100 f2,8L is macro , ef-s 10-22, sigma 28f1,8 macro, samyang 8 f3,5 fisheye, tamron 70-200 f2,8 macro, sigma 18-35 f1,8 Art

tortilla

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:07 PM »
The two things that the 6D is lacking that I think are important to a amateur/prosumer photographer are a second memory card slot and a pop-up flash.  I just purchased a Nikon D600 for my father, rather than the 6D, because the D600 had the second memory card slot and a pop-up flash.
I consider this rather as a feature: it saves weight and allows a more compact camera design. I prefer to shoot with a remote flash or with lower stop/higher ISO.

And as for the thread-topic: the 5ds don't have build-in-flash either.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #40 on: November 29, 2012, 04:17:07 PM »