October 01, 2014, 11:23:45 AM

Author Topic: Looking for new camera  (Read 1523 times)

Manelson05@me.com

Looking for new camera
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »
Hello I am looking to upgrade from a 60d.

I have spoken to a few professional photographers I know and they have both advocated a full frame sensor.
I went to our local shop here in Nashville and I was steered to a 7D which is still cropped. I have looked at the 5Dii and the 5diii,the 6d seems like some odd hybrid, half the af points of 7d but not a 5dii either. I have a budget for 1-2 new L lenses and a body. I will have some great coaching as I step up to a higher performing camera.

I have a toddler who I will need speed for, some animal pictures, nature and outdoors, 40% of shooting will be indoors, most in lower light. I may shoot some birds, but not much, some abstract/ architectural type/ general purpose. I was thinking 24-70 unless the kit lense 24-105 is better at my overall usage.

So having said all of that to I pony up more cash and get the 5d?
Is the 5dii fast enough? Is the 5diii overkill?

Looking to shoot RAW and run aperture or light room for my post.

On a side note I will be using the camera 60% of the time my wife will be learning and relying on the AF features initially.

Thank you all for your help and expertise.

Thank you

Mark

canon rumors FORUM

Looking for new camera
« on: November 23, 2012, 01:53:15 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Looking for new camera
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
Hello I am looking to upgrade from a 60d.

I have spoken to a few professional photographers I know and they have both advocated a full frame sensor.
I went to our local shop here in Nashville and I was steered to a 7D which is still cropped. I have looked at the 5Dii and the 5diii,the 6d seems like some odd hybrid, half the af points of 7d but not a 5dii either. I have a budget for 1-2 new L lenses and a body. I will have some great coaching as I step up to a higher performing camera.

I have a toddler who I will need speed for, some animal pictures, nature and outdoors, 40% of shooting will be indoors, most in lower light. I may shoot some birds, but not much, some abstract/ architectural type/ general purpose. I was thinking 24-70 unless the kit lense 24-105 is better at my overall usage.

So having said all of that to I pony up more cash and get the 5d?
Is the 5dii fast enough? Is the 5diii overkill?

Looking to shoot RAW and run aperture or light room for my post.

On a side note I will be using the camera 60% of the time my wife will be learning and relying on the AF features initially.

Thank you all for your help and expertise.

Thank you

Mark

7D + 17-55 F/2.8

or

5D3 + 24-70 2.8 <---------Your choice of lens.

Both have excellent AF, and I would skip the 5D2 series all together.

SteenerMe

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »
Not sure what the budget is, but ideally id suggest the 5d3, 24-70 2.8 II and 70-200 2.8 IS. Not much you cant do with that setup. The 7d with 24-70 can be a bit long for indoor shots. And at 2.8 your iso will be higher than what the 7d can handle...the 5d3 with any fast lenses would be my suggestion. Fps are plenty for kids and whatnot....
5DIII, 7D, 8-15L, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 50L, 100L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »