September 01, 2014, 10:31:27 PM

Author Topic: How to price my gear?  (Read 1122 times)

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
How to price my gear?
« on: November 23, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »
I moved up from a Rebel XSi to a 5DmkII about a year ago. I had planned on keeping it around for a second body, but so far it's just been sitting in the drawer with little to no use. I figured I might as well unload it on somebody to start my fund for my next L lens.

How do I go about pricing this stuff? I've got the body, the kit lens, a couple of batteries, USB cord, even the book (I never read it). I would think it would appeal to somebody looking for a good entry level dslr kit who doesn't want to pay the going rate for the current Rebel kit at CostCo. I've looked around a little on eBay, but there seems to be a pretty wide range of prices there. Any thoughts on how to go about this? Thanks in advance for your advice. 
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

How to price my gear?
« on: November 23, 2012, 04:58:59 PM »

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: How to price my gear?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 05:18:36 PM »
I usually check Amazon and compare their listings to my opinion of my gear and then  (depending on if I think it's worth it) I'll usually list towards the low end to sell quicker. I sold my 50D body only for around 700 on Amazon about two weeks before the 5D3 was released and it had only been listed for a couple days.
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 05:41:47 PM »
I see them for ~$400-500 on CL, usually with 2 lenses at the upper end of that range.  How low you go depends on how fast you want to sell it... 

A tip - take good-quality shots of the gear, 'seamless' white background if possible (a pillowcase, 11x17" sheet of paper, etc.).
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »
as others have mentioned good current photos of the gear helps (make sure everything has been cleaned), take the caps off of the lenses and give the buyer a good idea what sort of shape the glass is in.  An honest description of the condition of the gear goes a long way.  see what the going rate is on ebay and amazon for the used parts and then decide where you want to post it.  If you want it to sell fast just take the average price and discount it 5-10%.  Also check who else is selling the same stuff where ever you post it and consider undercutting their price by a few points.  Craigslist is good, I always leave my phone number for folks to call me and tell them text messages and emails will be ignored.  Your more likely to get a serious buyer if they contact you via phone.  Of course the usual CL cautions, no shipping, cash only, meet at a public location (local starbucks etc).  Other places are fredmiranda.com (there is a one time buy and sell fee), photography on the net (no fee, but must be a 30 day member and have a certain number of posts), and of course ebay. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »