October 01, 2014, 04:15:25 AM

Author Topic: Possible positive 6D surprise? Should I wait?  (Read 8909 times)

ScottyP

• 6D
    • View Profile
Possible positive 6D surprise? Should I wait?
« on: November 24, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »
Various websites are saying the 6D sensor will actually have an advantage in low noise at high ISO vs. the sensor on 5D3. 
I have an itchy trigger finger with all the $2500 give-aways on the 5D3.  If the 6D were really going to stay at or around $2100.00, it would seem like a slam dunk for buying 5D3, UNLESS the new sensor really is better in low light...  I realize the AF seems to have been deliberatively crippled (and overly-so!), but for shooting portraits and candids and casual soccer of my kids, I really don't need the pro athlete or bird-in-flight AF.

Plus, heck, the replacement for the 7D (7D2?) could have a wildly better sensor?

What do CR folks think of this?

I should say you can see my equipment below my name.  I shoot portraits and candids of my 7-year old and 6-y-o and my infant.  They do/will play some peewee soccer, but nothing challenging for another 6-8 years max!  I've never met a bird who would pay fair value for an excelent portrait at 1000 yards, so I don't need too incredible an AF capability.   :)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 02:30:44 AM by ScottyP »
Canon 6D; Canon Lenses: EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF 85 f/1.8; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8; Canon 1.4x Mk. III T.C.; Sigma Lens: 35mm f/1.4 "Art"

canon rumors FORUM

Possible positive 6D surprise? Should I wait?
« on: November 24, 2012, 02:26:27 AM »

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Possible positive 6D surprise? Should I wait?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:12:57 AM »
Prices generally do not go up, so waiting should not hurt financially.  It is impossible to comment with certainty on the 6D as it has not been released yet.  It is possible it may have even better low light performance than the 5D MIII.  Though the 5D MIII is already sensational for low light work.

Being cynical, I can't see Canon releasing a camera at a lower price point but having better IQ.  If your budget can accommodate the 5D MIII, then I would not wait.  In fact I did not and am enjoying my 5D MIII immensely.

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 03:16:22 AM »
If it is any better than 5D3's sensor it would be incremental and probably unnoticable in real world test results. Never get caught up in speculation, buy what you need when you need it, don't turn back, and you'll be a lot happier.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

cps_user

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 03:30:32 AM »
that's interesting.

do you have a link perhaps to some of these sites?

takoman46

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 06:06:27 AM »
I haven't heard that the 6D sensor will perform better than the 5D3 sensor in low light. I would be shocked if it does in fact produce less noise at high ISOs. So if the 6D does perform better in low light... then I would be inclined to sell my 5D3 and downgrade to a 6D... but then I can't get past the fact that the 6D doesn't have a joystick or rear wheel for shooting efficiency so getting a 6D would never happen for me... There's no time to waste fussing around with the menu system to change critical settings like aperture and AF point selection at weddings. I still intend to rent a 6D once it's released just to see what it's all about and compare it to the 5D2 and 5D3... just to satisfy my curiosity  :P.

I have heard a similar rumor about the T4i having better high ISO performance than the 5D2 and that turned out to be false.

tapanit

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 06:41:38 AM »
I can't get past the fact that the 6D doesn't have a joystick or rear wheel
The 6D does have rear wheel, although (just like the 60D) no joystick.

dafrank

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • davidfranklinphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »
Despite any rumors about low light performance of the 6D - or their relative merit - even if the technology of the 6D sensor and electronics remains unchanged from that of the 5D3 (a camera that I own and really like so far), it will, by virtue of a very slightly lower pixel count (20 vs. 22) have very slightly bigger light receptors for each pixel, making the 6D potentially that much better at capturing low light images. Whether or not that difference in capture performance exists is a matter of other associated factors, such as the formation of the focusing lens layer over the sensor wells, sensor well depth, associated electronic circuitry, etc. Finally, even if such a difference does exist, whether or not you would ordinarily notice it in your own work, given its likely small effect, is a question which will need to be answered at such time as you actually get your hands on both cameras and try them out. Good luck.

Regards,
David
Outcomes are more important than intentions.
See my work at: http://www.davidfranklinphoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 09:48:57 AM »

aznable

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:24:11 AM »
a camera is not just a sensor, but other things like AF for example...5d mkiii willbe a way better camera than 6d
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS - Sigma 50 Art

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 11:44:43 AM »
They are right, the 6d will have an edge, for the same reason the 1dx has better iOS, because the pixels are bigger, and gather more "stuff". Look at digital rev's 1dx video on YouTube, you will see what they're talking about.

Hesbehindyou

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2012, 12:41:43 PM »
They are right, the 6d will have an edge, for the same reason the 1dx has better iOS, because the pixels are bigger, and gather more "stuff". Look at digital rev's 1dx video on YouTube, you will see what they're talking about.

ah and that is why the D800 IQ is so worse?
when will people stop repeating the same wrong (or lets say simplified)  stuff.

I'm pretty sure the thread and his comments should be read as being about two Canon full frame DSLRs using the same sensor technology (i.e. all things being equal).

He really should have clarified things for those that couldn't keep track of the context of the discussion, but who cares if the beginners are wrong (or let's say simple)  ;)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 12:43:48 PM »
I am curious as to which reputable site has tested the 6D and found the sensor to be better. When you make a claim, why not reference the source.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2012, 01:24:02 PM »
If you can afford a 5D3 and are willing to spend that much money on a body, I would grab a 5D3 in a heartbeat--but that is me .

For me there are too many things the 6D is lacking.  But since you are coming from a T3i, the 6D's size and ergonomics might be more suitable and in line with what you plan to shoot.

I don't see the 6D having any improvements over the 5D3 (except maybe low light focusing as I've read here on CR).  I don't consider WiFi and GPS improvements, just features that some care about and other care less about.

Either way, I'd sell your 17-55 and get a body with the kit lens 24-105.  That should be a nice compliment with your 70-200 II and 50 1.8.

My prediction on pricing:   The 5D3 will not drop to or below $3000 for a long time from normal authorized dealers.  I expect the 6D to follow the pricing pattern of the 60D, a significant drop of 10% or more after 6-12 months.

Zlatko

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »
I realize the AF seems to have been deliberatively crippled (and overly-so!), but for shooting portraits and candids and casual soccer of my kids, I really don't need the pro athlete or bird-in-flight AF.
Crippled or better, depending on your needs.  The 6D is supposed to focus in even lower light than the more expensive 5D3.  For some photographers, that may be a significant advantage.  Of course it will not be as good in other ways.  I'll be very eager to see how well the 6D's AF performs generally.

By the way, everyone says "crippled" about less expensive cameras, as if to suggest some bad intent on the part of the manufacturer.  "Crippled" suggests that they start with an excellent AF system and then damage it terribly.  But less expensive cameras are less expensive for a reason — less goes into them.  The lesser AF system is designed for a lesser price, from initial concept to production. 

Manufacturers have to differentiate their products somehow.  We do it as a photographers.  We differentiate our products according to size, hours, materials, etc., and yet we don't say our cheaper products are deliberately crippled.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2012, 03:16:29 PM »

Manufacturers have to differentiate their products somehow.  We do it as a photographers.  We differentiate our products according to size, hours, materials, etc., and yet we don't say our cheaper products are deliberately crippled.

Very Good Point and fresh way of looking at it.  Not a professional photog myself, and I am glad our wedding photog had different packages.  And our package was not lacking in quality at all.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

DanielW

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »
@ Zlatko
Good point!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2012, 03:25:49 PM »