November 23, 2014, 05:06:28 AM

Author Topic: iPad mini connectivity with 7d  (Read 4793 times)

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
iPad mini connectivity with 7d
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »
Just got the lightning to USB cable for my iPad mini and it works fantastic with my 7d.  I can quickly get photos on the mini while waiting in the hotel lobby.  Just plug it in and do a half shutter to turn the camera on and the iPad will automatically start loading thumbnails.  Just select the pics you want.  I'm pretty happy with it. :D
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

canon rumors FORUM

iPad mini connectivity with 7d
« on: November 24, 2012, 06:07:18 PM »

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: iPad mini connectivity with 7d
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »
I thought those cables could only connect to a USB host (like a PC) or is it something a bit different to the standard one?

brianleighty

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • Leighty Photography
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:27:40 PM »
I thought those cables could only connect to a USB host (like a PC) or is it something a bit different to the standard one?
I believe this is a specific cable by apple that is designed for this. This might eventually justify me getting an iPad as if this works well then I could use at weddings during the formals to ensure everyone's looking and in focus. It's very hard to gauge on a 3" screen. I'd be interested to hear how well this works in live shooting environment as I wouldn't want to be waiting forever for the picture to load up on the iPad.
Canon 5D Mark II, 50D, XSi, 24-105L IS, Sigma 35 1.4, Canon 40 2.8, Canon 35 2.0, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 17-50, Canon 50 1.8, 580 EXII, 430 EXII

PeterJ

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:58:49 PM »
I believe this is a specific cable by apple that is designed for this. This might eventually justify me getting an iPad as if this works well then I could use at weddings during the formals to ensure everyone's looking and in focus. It's very hard to gauge on a 3" screen. I'd be interested to hear how well this works in live shooting environment as I wouldn't want to be waiting forever for the picture to load up on the iPad.
Thanks Brian, having a further look I see it now. I hadn't heard of the iPad Mini and misread it as iPod Mini and wondered how they got USB host with just a cable.

ETA - Seeing you don't have an iPad the following might be worth checking out, it allows liveview shooting on some Android tablets. My Droid phone doesn't have USB host so I haven't tried it out myself:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&hl=en
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 10:02:35 PM by PeterJ »

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:43:20 AM »
I've been using it for 2 days now at a Dr. Who convention.  It's worked flawlessly on my 7d.  I've been shooting RAW plus JPEG and uploading the jpegs to the iPad mini.  From there it's super easy to post to Facebook.  The iPad mini is basically an iPad 2 so it should work with them.  I've been using my friends laptop to save the images to my portable drive.  It's a Dell so the screen is horrible.  I'll PP the images when I get home.  I'm surprised at how quickly I could get my pics online.  ;D
EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM, 430EX II Speedlite

captainkanji

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 12:47:28 AM »
Oh. The cable is $30 at Fry's.  It's only about 4 inches long.  I hear there are apps that let you have some control of the camera with a tablet, I'll have to investigate.

MicleArons

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »
iPad Mini is coming, have you got one for playing games and movies. If so, you may found it only surpports MP4, MOV, M4V formats as well as ...
iPad Mini Replacement Parts

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 10:07:24 PM »