Image & Video Galleries > Landscape

Help Me Get Better - Crashing Waves - Round 2

(1/5) > >>

Promature:
Ok, still waiting for my tripod and polarizer and grad ND filter, so these were all handheld.  Please let me know what you think about the compositions.  Also, should I speed up or slow down the shutter?  My wife doesn't like all the motion, so I want to hear what other people think.  The only post processing was to add a graduated ND filter on the sky and increase the exposure on the beach.
Image 2541 was shot using a parking bollard for stabilization.  ISO 100, 55mm, f5.6, 1/4s
Image 2568 - ISO 100, 28mm, f8, 1/20s
Image 2662 - ISO 100, 55mm, f16, 1/30s
Image 2701 - ISO 100, 55mm, f16, 1/30s

verysimplejason:

--- Quote from: Promature on November 24, 2012, 08:32:00 PM ---Ok, still waiting for my tripod and polarizer and grad ND filter, so these were all handheld.  Please let me know what you think about the compositions.  Also, should I speed up or slow down the shutter?  My wife doesn't like all the motion, so I want to hear what other people think.  The only post processing was to add a graduated ND filter on the sky and increase the exposure on the beach.
Image 2541 was shot using a parking bollard for stabilization.  ISO 100, 55mm, f5.6, 1/4s
Image 2568 - ISO 100, 28mm, f8, 1/20s
Image 2662 - ISO 100, 55mm, f16, 1/30s
Image 2701 - ISO 100, 55mm, f16, 1/30s

--- End quote ---

In my humble opinion, 3rd one composition looks alright (actually great potential...) though if I'm going to do it, I'll gonna make a little bit the foreground darker by bringing down the exposure a little bit.  Also the clouds and sun will be more emphasized this way.  It will also bring out the color more.  As for the rest, a more interesting foreground is warranted, maybe a boat or something.  I don't know if it will help you but let me share one of my photos (HDR'd a little bit to bring out the colors).  I also used a sunset graduated filter here.

Eli:
Alot better than your first set of images, well done. Though I still think you're missing something in the foreground, maybe try get closer to some rocks or something.
Also try to level the horizon, make it a horizontally straight line, preferably in camera or if not then via post processing / cropping.

trygved:
I personally like the slow shutter speed.
As was mentioned by somebody in the previous thread, it looks like a bomb going off.
Nothing excites me about a photo that has been taken a million times, no matter how well it is shot.
What does catch my attention is seeing it in a way that I haven't seen often (or at all).

That being said, I would suggest varying your composition a lot to find what best gives you the effect you are looking for.
All of these images provided are taken at a similar height and similar angle.
If the composition isn't entirely working for you, gradually get lower and closer until you find something that really grabs your eye.

I would also like to see this series with a wider lens, but that is more my own artistic preference.

Sunnystate:
I like it.

Here is another approach: some Rebel don't remember model with 10-22 lens @10mm, EwaMarine underwater housing, and not being afraid of water. That big blob was smashing in my face and camera just fraction of a second later. Maybe will post later when, I find the one "under" water and sand actually.
This was taken just some 50 mil south from your location.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version