December 18, 2014, 02:39:31 AM

Author Topic: Refurb 7D Question  (Read 1868 times)

Ocular

Refurb 7D Question
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »
Does anyone have any insight into what steps are taken by Canon to refurb a 7D?  I do suppose it depends on the condition of the item, but specifically, I am wondering if I should expect a 'new' shutter (i.e. low shutter count) and a new battery.  Also should I expect that a refurb could come with cosmetic wear and tear marks (i.e. worn dial, scratches etc)?
Prices are looking good on the Canon site and it may be time to consider one if I can be assured of what I am getting.

Thanks.

canon rumors FORUM

Refurb 7D Question
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:42:20 PM »

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: Refurb 7D Question
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 11:13:51 PM »
I bought a 5DII refurb from Canon USA. I would have thought it as new if I didn't buy it myself. A refurb can be a return, a damaged box an overstock item... basically a million reasons why the manufacturer could get the product back. Then they can't legally sell it as new so it goes for refurb. It has also been put through factory standard testing to make sure it is up to snuff. It's not a "USED" product. But I guess it's possible it could have a scuff or a few shutter clicks. I wouldn't hesitate because of that though.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:25:16 AM »
Generally, the refurbs are new or nearly new demos or returns.  Canon would normally  not need to put a new shutter in a  virtually new camera.
Canon does not take returns of high milage used cameras, Dealers allow a 30 Day return window at most, and most returns are within a week or so.  These go back to Canon to be refurbished, or may even be sold as seller refurbished.

Ocular

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:38:26 PM »
Thanks for the reply to my OP.  I was under the impression that ANY return could be refurbed, including trade-ins.  And supposed there are alot of 7D trade-ins lately given the deals on the 5DII and the new 5DIII.  But if its just 30-day returns, demos etc (all with light use) then that eases my concerns.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 12:50:56 PM »
Thanks for the reply to my OP.  I was under the impression that ANY return could be refurbed, including trade-ins.  And supposed there are alot of 7D trade-ins lately given the deals on the 5DII and the new 5DIII.  But if its just 30-day returns, demos etc (all with light use) then that eases my concerns.

Canon does not take trade-ins. Although dealers may take trade-ins, they cannot return them to Canon.    Dealers will sell the lenses as used, or if they are broken, they likely will not take them in trade without subtracting the repair cost, in which case, they are almost worthless to a dealer unless its a rare or valuable  Camera or lens.
Canon does have a 14 day return policy for refurbs, so if its not up to expectations, you can return it.  The Bodies and Lenses I've bought looked and worked like new, and never had a problem.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:52:59 PM by Mt Spokane Photography »

pdxfoto

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »
I have seen shutter count as high as 2000 and the lowest was 16. Never had any issue with refurbished and I bought many of them. It's better than any used camera imo.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 02:29:51 PM »