August 28, 2014, 07:28:40 AM

Poll

What do you guys think are canon's most disappointing achievements this year? Choose 3, evaluate, and talk about what you think is coming

an overpriced ff 6d package
31 (14.9%)
tons of expensive is primes
31 (14.9%)
a 24-70f4 is costing about $1,500
28 (13.5%)
the pro l L primes are loosing to new zooms(24-70's), and the new Sigma lenses are coming out on top! (35mm 1.4)
13 (6.3%)
a very nice 1dx, but the extermination of a pro crop censor for wild life shooters.
7 (3.4%)
2new rebels in 1 year with a third on the way
5 (2.4%)
a curious mirror less eos m, with a second camera on the way, and only 2 lenses
15 (7.2%)
The combination of the 60d and the 7d, to make a combo, giving ameutures and pro's the same camera, no seperation
6 (2.9%)
The apparent idea of combining all the aps-c cameras, where all pros would have to move to ff, and soccer moms would get 20mp, 10fps, and a pro body and not to mention some crappy ef-s zoom
10 (4.8%)
The 3d/4d talk, but no results
12 (5.8%)
No word and long postponement of the 14-24 l and 200-400
25 (12%)
Canon is leaving the amateurs in the dark with no 7d ii or 70d, and no new ef-s lenses
25 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Canon's roadmap  (Read 11785 times)

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Canon's roadmap
« on: November 25, 2012, 12:24:41 AM »
Canon's road through the photography world has become very bumpy, and I think many people have gotten lost.
Please help the community, and comment, add, or correct.

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Re: Canon's roadmap
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:28:57 AM »
Canon have an inflated price structure, as much as I love my 1DX and 400 mm prime, no way they cost an arm, a foot and a whole torso...

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 04:46:22 AM »
Overpriced 6D.  6D on it's own can be a spectacular camera.  I just hope it will be $500 less than it's selling price since it's inferior (at least on paper) to a similar priced camera Nikon D600.  This may be true only during initial launch though.  Prices may go down to $1500 after 6 months or less.

EchoLocation

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 06:51:55 AM »
the 24-70 2.8 at $2300 really ticked me off....
all the super expensive, not so fast primes turned me off....
the $3500 5DIII really hit me hard....
the lame AF and $2100 price of the 6D was the last straw....
I bought a D700 and 24-70 2.8 in September, and I love them. It absolutely destroys my 5DC and 24-105.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

Gino

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
You should add to the poll, the 24-70L II at $2,300 does not have IS, yet the $1,300 Tamron 24-70 does have VC. 

How is Tamron able to offer VC at $1,300, yet Canon couldn't offer it at $2,300???
Canon 1D X & 5D MK III | 24-70 f/2.8L II | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 70-300L | 24-105 f/4L | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 50 f/1.4 | 40 f/2.8 STM Pancake | Sigma 35 f/1.4 DG HSM | Speedlite 220EX | Speedlite 600EX-RT 
Nikon D600 | 16-35 f/4G ED VR | 28-300 f/3.5-5.6G ED VR

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 09:24:20 AM »
YAMP (yet another meaningless poll).

:P

How is Tamron able to offer VC at $1,300, yet Canon couldn't offer it at $2,300???

Which lens has better IQ? Better AF? Which is weather sealed? Why does Tamron not offer those features?
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

interpilot

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:50:26 AM »
Well, two options here do hit the nail on the head for me. I like to take pics, enjoy the tech and tinker with raw files (I am an engineer, after all), but the current aps-c offerings just aren't cutting it.

Small size and low weight are important to me, or a camera won't get used much. FF, or even a 7d, are just to cumbersome. Already, the rx100 here gets used much more than my 550d. Add to that the ugly red/green blotches the 550 shows when pushing shadows a bit...

I would, however, very much like to have a 'proper' 50d replacement; give me a 70d with AFma, the 7d af system and a nice sensor upgrade, and I'll buy it. If not, I'll probably put even more emphasis on size and weight and start looking at a Fujifilm or Olympus mirrorless.

Zlatko

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 11:52:12 AM »
Canon's road through the photography world has become very bumpy, and I think many people have gotten lost.
Please help the community, and comment, add, or correct.
I'm not going to vote on "Canon's most disappointing achievements this year" because it's been a fantastic year for new products.  Having used Canon for the past 10 years, I'm more pleased with Canon's new products than ever.  The new products rock, from cameras to lenses to flashes.  In a nutshell, the 5DIII, 24-70/2.8II and 600EX-RT have been game changers for me — they've each made my work better and easier.  And there are other products that have been absolutely delightful, such as the 40/2.8 and the 28/2.8 IS.  It would take me an hour to go into all of the details and how they make a difference.  I don't mind the higher prices because you get what you pay for ... improved quality and reliability.  Also, people still forget that the introductory price is not the price; the introductory price is only for those who must have it now.

Zlatko

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 12:01:58 PM »
Which lens has better IQ? Better AF? Which is weather sealed? Why does Tamron not offer those features?
Exactly!  And which will last longer?  Which will need fewer repairs, and get repaired faster if a repair is needed?  Which will professionals trust for work in demanding situations?  These are all factors built into the price.  IMO, the Canon is worth the extra cost.  That's not to say the Tamron is bad.  But they are at different price levels for very good reasons.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2012, 12:07:27 PM »
Which will ... get repaired faster if a repair is needed?

Probably the Tamron - they promise a 3-day repair turnaround for everyone.  You'd need to be a CPS Platinum member ($500/yr) to get faster service from Canon.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2012, 12:26:40 PM »
The most disappointing thing is that we don't have a separate forum for whinners and trollers!

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2012, 02:03:02 PM »
You left out the lens cap! Dude! Pay attention to all the important releases...
;)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2012, 02:04:58 PM »
The most disappointing thing is that we don't have a separate forum for whinners and trollers!
+100
CR, please add these two sections ;)

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2012, 02:56:28 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys!
But in response to those who think I'm bashing canon, I'm not, I'm just asking opinion on where canon is going, and seeing how prices have affected, amateurs, or people with smaller incomes. Everything canon makes is top-notch, even the 6d will probably best the Nikon d600. But canon should open up more, offer cheaper 2.8s, put is in the lenses that matter, like a new 50 1.4, and think about the aps-c crowd.

Zlatko

« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2012, 03:01:24 PM »
A few thoughts about the poll options:   

an overpriced ff 6d package — wait 6 months to a year for the real price.

tons of expensive is primes — expensive primes are good primes, cheap one usually aren't; the new primes were eagerly awaited by many photographers; the real prices will be lower than the introductory prices.

a 24-70f4 is costing about $1,500 — high quality costs, but wait 6 months to a year for the real price; and the popular 24-105/4L is still available.

the pro l L primes are loosing to new zooms(24-70's), and the new Sigma lenses are coming out on top! (35mm 1.4) — pro L primes get replaced with better versions gradually (24/1.4 II, 85/1.2 II) but then people complain about the price; zooms and primes aren't in a war with one winning and one losing; they each have their advantages notwithstanding any particular updates in any particular year.

a very nice 1dx, but the extermination of a pro crop censor for wild life shooters. — 1.4X TC solves that problem; the 1DX has other benefits which outweigh any advantage of a 1.3X crop factor; wildlife shooters did very well before the 1.3X crop factor existed and will be OK after it doesn't.

2new rebels in 1 year with a third on the way — Rebels are fine inexpensive cameras; lots and lots of people like them and are happy to see more.

a curious mirror less eos m, with a second camera on the way, and only 2 lenses — Canon has to start somewhere in the mirrorless market; of course there will be more and better cameras and lenses on the way; no manufacturer has introduced a rich, full system all at once.

The combination of the 60d and the 7d, to make a combo, giving ameutures and pro's the same camera, no seperation — I don't understand the problem here, especially with eleven dslr's in the current product line.

The apparent idea of combining all the aps-c cameras, where all pros would have to move to ff, and soccer moms would get 20mp, 10fps, and a pro body and not to mention some crappy ef-s zoom — not clear what "combining" you're talking about; Canon currently offers eleven dslr's so if pros and amateurs can't find a suitable model, they must search elsewhere.

The 3d/4d talk, but no results — model names in rumor talk are meaningless; the results are the 5DIII and 6D and whatever models come next year and the year after that; and with eleven dslr's in the current model line what is missing?  I suppose a high-mp body, but surely that will come.

No word and long postponement of the 14-24 l and 200-400 — lenses are released when they are ready; meanwhile other great lenses are being released.

Canon is leaving the amateurs in the dark with no 7d ii or 70d, and no new ef-s lenses — new models are being introduced every year or two; just because something new doesn't get introduced this quarter doesn't mean people are "left in the dark"; again there are eleven current dslr's to choose from and 60+ lenses in the EOS system; if people "left in the dark" can't find a lens this quarter, they may be "in bright shining light" the next quarter.

In the end, there is no perfect camera company or camera system.  Something will always be missing or inadequate for someone's exact current needs.  If the grass is always greener elsewhere and the multitude of choices leave one "in the dark" and seeing doom and gloom, then maybe it's time to find another system.  I understand that some photographers may actually and urgently need a long list of new camera bodies and lenses and features that Canon isn't currently offering, but then I have to wonder why they got into the Canon system in the first place.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:03:07 PM by Zlatko »