April 20, 2014, 08:06:01 PM

Poll

What do you guys think are canon's most disappointing achievements this year? Choose 3, evaluate, and talk about what you think is coming

an overpriced ff 6d package
31 (14.9%)
tons of expensive is primes
31 (14.9%)
a 24-70f4 is costing about $1,500
28 (13.5%)
the pro l L primes are loosing to new zooms(24-70's), and the new Sigma lenses are coming out on top! (35mm 1.4)
13 (6.3%)
a very nice 1dx, but the extermination of a pro crop censor for wild life shooters.
7 (3.4%)
2new rebels in 1 year with a third on the way
5 (2.4%)
a curious mirror less eos m, with a second camera on the way, and only 2 lenses
15 (7.2%)
The combination of the 60d and the 7d, to make a combo, giving ameutures and pro's the same camera, no seperation
6 (2.9%)
The apparent idea of combining all the aps-c cameras, where all pros would have to move to ff, and soccer moms would get 20mp, 10fps, and a pro body and not to mention some crappy ef-s zoom
10 (4.8%)
The 3d/4d talk, but no results
12 (5.8%)
No word and long postponement of the 14-24 l and 200-400
25 (12%)
Canon is leaving the amateurs in the dark with no 7d ii or 70d, and no new ef-s lenses
25 (12%)

Total Members Voted: 108

Author Topic: Canon's roadmap  (Read 10744 times)

kdsand

• EOS M2
  • Newt II a human stampede
    • View Profile
Re: Canon's roadmap
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »
Yep engineering the lens cap after all this time must have shaken canon to its core. Am I joking? I'm not sure :-)

I couldn't afford a 7 D when it 1st was released & am not sure if I will be able to swing a new version. I do say its odd that it hasn't popped up yet & I can understand why so many people are impatient to see its release. It is an important camera for a large market.

If canon doesn't release a nice replacement in the next 6 months I'd say its time to worry.
60D, t2i, Magic Lantern, Manfrotto, Joby, Domke, SanDisk and excetera excetera

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2012, 01:22:29 AM »

rpt

• 1D X
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2012, 01:47:58 AM »
Yep engineering the lens cap after all this time must have shaken canon to its core. Am I joking? I'm not sure :-)

I couldn't afford a 7 D when it 1st was released & am not sure if I will be able to swing a new version. I do say its odd that it hasn't popped up yet & I can understand why so many people are impatient to see its release. It is an important camera for a large market.

If canon doesn't release a nice replacement in the next 6 months I'd say its time to worry.
I was waiting for the 7D2 too. The 5D3 came and I decided to get that. I miss the reach of the crop bodies but I'll wait for a few years now. Can't invest in a second body now...

I agree, if things remain the same for 6 months we would be worried but I think the folks at canon know that - I am sure they knew it before. They have the most skin in the game...

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2012, 03:05:37 AM »
My vote:
The price of the 5D3

tortilla

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2012, 04:52:34 PM »
The apparent idea of combining all the aps-c cameras, where all pros would have to move to ff, and soccer moms would get 20mp, 10fps, and a pro body and not to mention some crappy ef-s zoom — not clear what "combining" you're talking about; Canon currently offers eleven dslr's so if pros and amateurs can't find a suitable model, they must search elsewhere.
OK, so I must search elsewhere and I also must search for new lenses :(

Problem is: I invested in EF-S lenses, and I need an upgrade from my 400D - but I'm not willing to pay the money for an APS-C that could get me a 5D MK II. So, a successor to the 60d would be appreciated, at least a little information from Canon what there will offer next year, so I can decide if I'll go FF or change to Nikon.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #34 on: December 02, 2012, 09:01:32 AM »
The apparent idea of combining all the aps-c cameras, where all pros would have to move to ff, and soccer moms would get 20mp, 10fps, and a pro body and not to mention some crappy ef-s zoom — not clear what "combining" you're talking about; Canon currently offers eleven dslr's so if pros and amateurs can't find a suitable model, they must search elsewhere.
OK, so I must search elsewhere and I also must search for new lenses :(

Problem is: I invested in EF-S lenses, and I need an upgrade from my 400D - but I'm not willing to pay the money for an APS-C that could get me a 5D MK II. So, a successor to the 60d would be appreciated, at least a little information from Canon what there will offer next year, so I can decide if I'll go FF or change to Nikon.

Unless you need the extra reach afforded by APS-C go FF.   Unless you are fully invested in Canon lenses, you can switch to Nikon.

That's why I invested only in FF lenses.   I only have the "kit" lenses for 500D which I intend to pass on to my wife after going FF.

tortilla

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 02, 2012, 12:23:00 PM »
That's why I invested only in FF lenses.   I only have the "kit" lenses for 500D which I intend to pass on to my wife after going FF.
That was good thinking. Even if I'll stick to APS-C, in the future I'll only buy EF-lenses.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:32 PM »
Just to share.  This shows Canon's roadmap most explicitly.

http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2012/11/30/best-photos-of-the-year-2012/#a=65

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2012, 09:50:32 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2012, 10:31:52 PM »

http://blogs.reuters.com/fullfocus/2012/11/30/best-photos-of-the-year-2012/#a=65

Dude, all I see are a bunch of pictures of stuff.  What does that have to do with Canon?   :o

</sarcasm> in case that wasn't clear to anyone...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2012, 11:53:43 PM »

Dude, all I see are a bunch of pictures of stuff.  What does that have to do with Canon?   :o

</sarcasm> in case that wasn't clear to anyone...

nice one dude! :)  And they're saying 6D isn't a professional camera... :D  I can see more than half of those pictures taken by 5D mark II.  :)  Also, why there's nobody complaining about the DR of these cameras?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 11:56:11 PM by verysimplejason »

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 12:41:33 AM »
I want my 4D camera.  My photos look so flat and lifeless in just two dimensions.  Luckily, I have a HTC Evo 3D which adds a third dimension and gives my photos a little more depth.  But it is still lacking something.  I don't know...maybe a sense of time?  C'mon Canon.  Time to get your act together and offer at least 4 Dimensions.
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 02:01:39 PM »
I can see more than half of those pictures taken by 5D mark II.

Not half, more like a quarter.  A link to a metadata analysis of those image was posted in this thread.

I wonder...  All those people posting that Canon is behind, that they have to catch up, whatever...what do they think about Canon being behind when a collection of Reuters' 'best images' of the year was shot with the camera distribution in that collection?  I realize that there are many categories of photographer besides photojournalists, but eyeballing the pie chart, Nikon has 9-10%, Sony 1%, and Canon around 90% of the images in the collection.  When seeing a piece of data like that, it helps put some of Canon's design choices (e.g. the 1D X)  into perspective.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

RustyTheGeek

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 02:29:31 PM »
Hmm, that chart is mighty interesting!

In general (and I've said it before in nauseating detail), Canon seems to be taking a 'damn the torpedoes, full price ahead' attitude with insane pricing for products that are delayed to increase desire.  I think they are taking the Apple approach.  Let anticipation build, keep quite and let the press and the bloggers work everyone into a fever pitch, then pull the trigger on the release but release slowly to encourage more pre-orders in the future and immediate snapping up of scarce stock.

Canon seems to be treating their product releases like having their hand on a revenue steam throttle.  If they open it up full bore, people will get saturated with product and not buy as quickly but it they release products slow and let the pressure build up, they produce more power revenue.

Just a thought...
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »
My vote:
The price of the 5D3

That.... one blemish in an otherwise very desirable Camera.
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 03:39:33 PM »

2n10

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
I can see more than half of those pictures taken by 5D mark II.

Not half, more like a quarter.  A link to a metadata analysis of those image was posted in this thread.

I wonder...  All those people posting that Canon is behind, that they have to catch up, whatever...what do they think about Canon being behind when a collection of Reuters' 'best images' of the year was shot with the camera distribution in that collection?  I realize that there are many categories of photographer besides photojournalists, but eyeballing the pie chart, Nikon has 9-10%, Sony 1%, and Canon around 90% of the images in the collection.  When seeing a piece of data like that, it helps put some of Canon's design choices (e.g. the 1D X)  into perspective.

Reuters supposedly has a contract with Canon to use their products.  ???
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »
Hmm, that chart is mighty interesting!

In general (and I've said it before in nauseating detail), Canon seems to be taking a 'damn the torpedoes, full price ahead' attitude with insane pricing for products that are delayed to increase desire.  I think they are taking the Apple approach.  Let anticipation build, keep quite and let the press and the bloggers work everyone into a fever pitch, then pull the trigger on the release but release slowly to encourage more pre-orders in the future and immediate snapping up of scarce stock.

Canon seems to be treating their product releases like having their hand on a revenue steam throttle.  If they open it up full bore, people will get saturated with product and not buy as quickly but it they release products slow and let the pressure build up, they produce more power revenue.

Just a thought...

That's why you need to keep your hands tied for a while.  Control that itching.  Prices normalize after 3-6 months.  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 07:24:54 PM »