Gear Talk > Lenses

Nikon Convert Seeking Some Advice.

<< < (3/4) > >>

srcinematic:

--- Quote from: symmar22 on November 25, 2012, 04:52:58 AM ---I would pass on the 20mm f2.8, it's a very old lens.
--- End quote ---

Good to know. I have heard some mixed reviews on the 20mm. I am thinking I would probably go with the 17-40mm since its such good bang for your buck.

Although a couple comments have gotten me curious about the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 since its so inexpensive and has such good optics. To be honest if i am shooting video I am always using MF and if I am shooting landscapes, I have a tripod and could manual focus just as easily.

Thanks for your replies.

Mt Spokane Photography:

--- Quote from: srcinematic on November 25, 2012, 02:22:34 PM ---
--- Quote from: symmar22 on November 25, 2012, 04:52:58 AM ---I would pass on the 20mm f2.8, it's a very old lens.
--- End quote ---

Good to know. I have heard some mixed reviews on the 20mm. I am thinking I would probably go with the 17-40mm since its such good bang for your buck.

Although a couple comments have gotten me curious about the Rokinon 14mm 2.8 since its so inexpensive and has such good optics. To be honest if i am shooting video I am always using MF and if I am shooting landscapes, I have a tripod and could manual focus just as easily.

Thanks for your replies.

--- End quote ---
Since you are looking for wide and low cost with both AF and Video, the 17-40L is very good and excellent when stopped down.  Most video users prefer the shallow depth of field that FF gives, in which case, the 24mm f/1.4 would be wonderful, but its pricey.

mrsfotografie:

--- Quote from: srcinematic on November 25, 2012, 02:22:34 PM ---
--- End quote ---

Thanks for your replies.

--- End quote ---

Be careful, 14 mm is *really wide*. A 20 or 24 mm might be more versatile. By the way, the Rokinon is actually nothing more than a rebranded Samyang lens ;)

ud4steve:
I have a 17-40 and it is a great lens.  It is light and has a great focal range with very reasonable distortion.  It's the lens I leave on my camera most of the time.  When you add in the ISO capabilities of the 5D3 I would say the extra money isn't worth it for the 16-35.  As an added benefit if you add a UV filter it's also weather sealed.

bycostello:

--- Quote from: wickidwombat on November 25, 2012, 01:10:57 AM ---if you are doing mostly video you would be better looking at the samyang 35 f1.4 and the 85 f1.4 they are MF only but have a cult following and produce outstanding results, also very cheap compared to canon glass however they are only MF

--- End quote ---

+1

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version