July 31, 2014, 07:29:43 AM

Author Topic: 60D or t4i?  (Read 4025 times)

sunshine

60D or t4i?
« on: November 25, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »
I'm new to CR and I know people have asked this question a lot but every post I've looked at fails to answer the basics:(

I'm budget conscious but will spend the extra buck if it will make a difference. I currently have an old rebel, which doesn't really do much but was a good starter DSLR. I now want to upgrade. I am a journalist and am looking to shoot photos and videos in various contexts. I was settled on the 60D honestly because it sounds professional and because I found a good deal on the body. I did come across the t4i, which some people say is an upgrade from the 60D despite still being a rebel. Here are some of things that matter to me:

1)I hear the 60D is sealed against bad weather. Does this matter and is the t4i sealed as well?
2)Auto focus on video? Do both of these cameras have that?
3)I heard that the t4i is new and thus there could be things wrong with it that Canon will fix later on. Does this matter?
4) I'm a petite girl and I know the t4i is lighter. I'm confortable with the heavier 60D, but is weight a big factor when shooting for a while?
5) Battery life, LCDs, is the touch screen a good thing? Anyone use it?

This is probably not the place but also dont know much about lenses. Can anyone recommend good, not too expensive, zoom lens and standard lens?

Thank you!

canon rumors FORUM

60D or t4i?
« on: November 25, 2012, 02:48:11 PM »

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: 60D or t4i?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 03:30:51 PM »
1)only the 60d is sealed, but not well enough for a downpour. Either camera could be used in a light drizzle.
2)only the t4i has video autofocus, put for photos both will work pretty much the same.
3)sadly both cameras will be discontinued in January, so there will be a new substitute for either. If you can't wait, get the t4i, it has a new processor, so it performs better, and the processor has been tested. The only issue, is that the video af is slow, and there were specific models on which the grip changed color but those were recalled and they have fixed the issue since.
4) the weight off the 60d is a bit hefty, and will weigh on you at the end of the day. The t4i will perform the same, it's just in a smaller body, it will fit in your purse without making your shoulder hurt.
5) battery life, I don't know, but will be enough either way, on a vacation, just charge it up at night and your set. The touch screen is ok, just remember it isn't a smart phone, so give the camera a second before you start clicking it rapidly over and over, it has to shift the glass for live view (LCD view) shooting.

So in conclusion, the cameras are very much the same, and you won't notice a difference in image quality. You pay for what you get, the bit of extra $$$ is just for a more solid body, if you think you're going to drop the camera accession ally, the 60d would be a worthy investment.

Lens wise, a canon 75-300 F4-5.6 or a canon 70-300 f4-5.6 is usm if you have the money, would make a great telephoto.

Standard zoom would come in a kit

60d:18-135 3.5-5.6 is

T4i: 18-135 3.5-5.6 is STM II

So again, the t4i really does everything better, it is just smaller.

But if I could choose, I'd go for the t4i with the kit lens! And with the saved money, get the 70-300. You get a smaller, lighter camera, and then you have better lenses.

Have fun shooting :)

Judy

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 12:11:44 PM »
Aside from the new sensor performance, it depends on how you're planning to use the camera.  If you like to shoot in anything other than auto mode (I use manual and aperture priority), the 60D is much easier for changing settings quickly.  I initially had the t3i but ended up selling it within a couple months for the 60D because of that issue.  I am petite at 5'3" and I actually like the grip/ergonomics of the 60D much better- it fits my hand better and although I did notice the extra weight initially, a better camera strap will solve that issue and you get used to the weight quickly (and I have the weighty 17-55 2.8 on mine).  If you're planning to get a good lens, I would think the heavier body would work better. I don't use mine for video though so I could see going for the T4i just for that.

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 12:45:23 PM »
3)sadly both cameras will be discontinued in January, so there will be a new substitute for either.
Actually, only the 60D seems to be on the path to being discontinued. The T4i will keep selling and being supported for quite some time; as the T2i is currently despite being 2 models older. Neither is a genuine concern as Canon supports cameras well after discontinuing them
5) battery life, I don't know, but will be enough either way, on a vacation, just charge it up at night and your set.
To me, battery life and quick settings changes are the biggest differences between the two cameras. The ergonomics would be a close 3rd. The battery for the 60D will last 3x as long, and, if you ever decide to upgrade from there, it's also used in the 7D and 5D models. If you don't shoot a lot in one go, you won't notice the difference; but in the cold, or when you are doing timelapse/night photography, the battery life is indispensable. Video will also drain the battery pretty quick, so that's another plus for the 60D battery.

Another thing to note, for video purposes, is that the T4i does not support Magic Lantern. The 60D does. To get all the critical elements for video shooting (focus peaking, trap focus, resolution controls, etc), you'd have to go 60D. I'm not even sure the T4i does ISO in 1/3 stops like the 60D does, which is a big deal when you need to be shooting at ISO 160/320/640/etc.

And last I checked, the 60D was as cheap as the T4i if not a little cheaper for just the body (plenty of 60D deals out there)...so, price shouldn't be an issue

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 04:28:15 PM »

Another thing to note, for video purposes, is that the T4i does not support Magic Lantern. The 60D does. To get all the critical elements for video shooting (focus peaking, trap focus, resolution controls, etc), you'd have to go 60D. I'm not even sure the T4i does ISO in 1/3 stops like the 60D does, which is a big deal when you need to be shooting at ISO 160/320/640/etc.

And last I checked, the 60D was as cheap as the T4i if not a little cheaper for just the body (plenty of 60D deals out there)...so, price shouldn't be an issue
Dude, she's looking for her 1st dslr, she isn't going to install magic lantern, Af, and simple features on a rebel will due her well.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 06:29:09 PM »
regarding the size issue:  my wife has small-ish hands as well and hates shooting with anything larger than a rebel for extended periods of time.  she can do it if she has to, but she's always happy to go back to her t2i.

dafrank

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • davidfranklinphoto.com
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »
Others here have given you some parameters in which the two differ and which they thought mattered more. I've never done more than "handle" both cameras; I've never even shot a single frame with either. However, just from picking them up and looking through them, I've been able to form some opinion.

First of all, the 60D, while bigger and heavier, fits better in my average sized hands, while my right hand fingers feel uncomfortably crowded when trying to grip the T4i. After a long time holding the Rebel, my right hand would feel too cramped.

Second, and more importtantly, look through the viewfinders of both at the same time and do a an A/B comparison of what the same scene lfrom the same shooting position looks like in both cameras. You will find that the view through the 60D viewfinder is bigger and brighter. I believe that the 60D has a true pentaprism optical system for the viewfinder while the T4i uses the penta mirror system. The viewfinder mirror system is cheaper and inferior to the pentaprism for brightness and contrast, making manual focusing much harder. Furthermore the 60D viewfinder shows a slightly greater area of the image which will appear on your sensor and image file than does the T4i, and it also magnifies the viewfinder image a little more to make it appear larger and easier to see details in your field of view more clearly.

Last, the 60D body is a little more solidly contructed with a little more metal in its frame, making it feel like it could take a little more abuse and last a little longer in a more professional environment. I also seem to recall that the shutter is rated for slightly greater use in the mean-time-before-failure testing done by Canon themselves.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
David
Outcomes are more important than intentions.
See my work at: http://www.davidfranklinphoto.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:05 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 12:13:34 AM »
I'm new to CR and I know people have asked this question a lot but every post I've looked at fails to answer the basics:(

I'm budget conscious but will spend the extra buck if it will make a difference. I currently have an old rebel, which doesn't really do much but was a good starter DSLR. I now want to upgrade. I am a journalist and am looking to shoot photos and videos in various contexts. I was settled on the 60D honestly because it sounds professional and because I found a good deal on the body. I did come across the t4i, which some people say is an upgrade from the 60D despite still being a rebel. Here are some of things that matter to me:

1)I hear the 60D is sealed against bad weather. Does this matter and is the t4i sealed as well?
3)I heard that the t4i is new and thus there could be things wrong with it that Canon will fix later on. Does this matter?
4) I'm a petite girl and I know the t4i is lighter. I'm confortable with the heavier 60D, but is weight a big factor when shooting for a while?

This is probably not the place but also dont know much about lenses. Can anyone recommend good, not too expensive, zoom lens and standard lens?

Thank you!

Lenses are by far more important than the body, and they can cost a lot more too.
As a journalist, you are going to have to deal with tough lighting conditions and bad weather, as you already know.
Since you are weight conscious, you might want to pass on a good used 1D MK IIN, which would be ideal at the price.
So So take your pick of bodies, but get as good of lenses as you can afford.  Consider the 17-55 f/2.8 and give that priority over spending money on a expensive new body.
Add a 85mm f/1.8 to that and you will have good glass.
Then, get a refurb 60D if you have enough left.  Otherwise, get the lenses and keep your rebel.
http://shop.usa.canon.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10051_10051_276387_-1

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 12:27:43 AM »

Thank you!

I've been always saying this because I want to help people.  If you are really serious about photography, get a 5D classic over any rebel bodies anytime, anywhere.  5D + 50mm is the best combo out there.  Best bang for the buck.  Very nice IQ, aside from the fact that you learn more with your camera and lens.  It is nicer to build on something you can use later even when you go professional.  Of course if you need APS-C length then that's the only time I'll advise you to go for Rebel bodies.  If not, FF is always the best way to go.

Pagesphotography

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:11:59 AM »
My wife first started out with a t3i, but switched to a 60d(after playing with my 7d) because she could change settings a little faster, the top LCD screen and to use the same battery as me(battery life on the 60d is better than the t3i/t4i). 

The 60d is a little bigger, but she's 5'3 and she hasn't complained about weight/size once

However, the t4i video autofocus could be important, depending on how much you do video

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 05:11:59 AM »