April 18, 2014, 10:12:11 AM

Author Topic: Cyber Monday at B&H Photo, Adorama & Amazon  (Read 2254 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Cyber Monday at B&H Photo, Adorama & Amazon
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »

From B&H, Adorama & Amazon

Both B&H Photo, Adorama & Amazon have launched their Cyber Monday specials, grab some coffee and start clicking.

Click for Cyber Monday at B&H PhotoAdorama & Amazon

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Cyber Monday at B&H Photo, Adorama & Amazon
« on: November 26, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »

Greg_M

Re: Cyber Monday at B&H Photo, Adorama & Amazon
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 09:33:50 AM »
yawn.....

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 10:49:02 AM »
Hrm; I think it's like one of those magic-eye puzzles, where you just have to stare at it a long time for it to jump out at you . . .
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

CTJohn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
I'm at a loss on Canon's MAP program.  If retailers want to discount (or even lose money) on Canon's products as a featured item, what does Canon lose?  This "cyber Monday" is non-existent for Canon.  If they think they're establishing value, anyone buying a "deal" knows what the normal price is - that's the starting point value.
EOS 6D * EOS 7D * Powershot S110 * EF 24/105 f/4L * EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L * EF 100 f/2.8L Macro

ablearcher

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 12:23:49 PM »
I'm at a loss on Canon's MAP program.  If retailers want to discount (or even lose money) on Canon's products as a featured item, what does Canon lose?  This "cyber Monday" is non-existent for Canon.  If they think they're establishing value, anyone buying a "deal" knows what the normal price is - that's the starting point value.
Well, you are not alone. I saved some $$ for the new body hoping to pick up a deal, but there is nothing from the authorized retailers. The sale is not even on the "Meh..." level.  But look at the bright side - the unauthorized retailers are making a killing now. At least someone is benefiting from MAP. They don't even have to go too low with their prices as the authorized dealers can't even come close to compete with them now. So yeah, I donno what Canon is doing, but whatever they are doing - works well for the grey market. I'm not sure how all this is supposed to help and protect "smaller authorized retailers" (I believe this was announced as Canon's logic behind MAP), but hey, what do I know...
Canon 7D; Canon 5D MKIII; Canon EF-S 10-22mm; Canon 50mm 1.8; Canon 28mm 1.8; Canon 85mm 1.8; Canon 24-105mm 4.0 L; Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 L II IS; Canon 135mm 2.0 L; Canon 35mm 1.4 L.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »
Hrm; I think it's like one of those magic-eye puzzles, where you just have to stare at it a long time for it to jump out at you . . .

I did that on 50L...nothing happen :( :( :(
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »
I don't think it's MAP that's the real hangup.  I think most of the retailers don't think they  have to take a hit as long as no one else is doing it.

The 5d3 and 1dx are great (new) products that will continue to generate orders . . . my experience is that vendors are more concerned about losing orders to other retailers.  Amazon and Newegg were going at it (watching each other, bestbuy and walmart) last year, but this year the deals have been pretty much ho-hum across the board.

I think that every time we declare a sale DAY, they pull back because of guaranteed orders . . . this year Cyber Monday was the new buzzword on everyone's lips that wasn't one of us doing 99% of our holiday shopping online.

We may still see some price drops, but it's a moving target.

(I changed sales to orders where appropriate to avoid confusion)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 02:22:35 PM »

henryp

• PowerShot G16
  • B&H Photo-Video
    • View Profile
    • B&H Photo-Video
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »
I don't think it's MAP that's the real hangup.  I think most of the retailers don't think they  have to take a hit as long as no one else is doing it.

There are two reasons a legit authorized retailer will abide by an MAP agreement. First is that they're more strictly enforced than ever and the penalties for violations are draconian. They include losing co-op dollars, losing reimbursement for rebates, the vendor refusing to ship more of the item for which the MAP was violated, losing authorized retailer status.

Second is we entered into an agreement and violating it would be unethical. We honor our agreements with our vendors just as we do those with our customers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 05:06:20 PM »