December 18, 2014, 03:35:17 AM

Author Topic: Expectation of 60D firmware  (Read 5331 times)

tak_yung

Expectation of 60D firmware
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »
I hope the next version of 60D firmware has the following features / updates, do you think these are useful? :)
1. Can apply creative filter effect to video.
2. Can display a calendar layout to select the date to view the photos
3. In live view mode, when activate the "Q" menu can let me set the AEB setting
4. In "M" mode, let me to choose using the top dial to control the aperture and the back dial to control the shutter speed or vice versa.

canon rumors FORUM

Expectation of 60D firmware
« on: June 08, 2011, 02:49:53 PM »

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Expectation of 60D firmware
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 03:59:37 PM »
I hope the next version of 60D firmware has the following features / updates, do you think these are useful? :)
4. In "M" mode, let me to choose using the top dial to control the aperture and the back dial to control the shutter speed or vice versa.

How about 'Corrects the numbering phenomenon that farks up some 3rd party lenses' first? :)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 05:19:56 PM »

How about 'Corrects the numbering phenomenon that farks up some 3rd party lenses' first? :)

Why would they create a software work-around for a third party lens that reverse engineered their software and did a poor job?  Spend money to help the competition??  That will not happen.

AG

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 07:49:33 PM »
Sure Canons firmware has its niggling issues, but the ONLY thing that i want to get rid of in the current firmware is the 22min video limit.

Whenever you film something you can guarantee that at the 21min mark your going to get amazing footage..... it always happens  :o

If they were to fix that i would be one happy camper.  ;D

Yes, i shoot video on a DSLR.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 10:08:59 PM »
Why would they create a software work-around for a third party lens that reverse engineered their software and did a poor job?  Spend money to help the competition??  That will not happen.

It might.  The problem with the 3rd party lenses is that the reverse engineering consisted of mimicing the lens codes of old Canon lenses, and now the outer AF points behave incorrectly when those 3rd party lenses are used with certain bodies.  However, those old, uncommon Canon lenses also show that incorrect behavior (Canon confirmed this).  Since those are Canon EF lenses that don't work properly with Canon bodies, it would make sense for them to correct the problem.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

foobar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 10:16:50 PM »
I hope the next version of 60D firmware has the following features / updates
Don't get your hopes to high. Canon usually doesn't add new features to existing DSLRs (except to support new accessories).
The only exception to this has been the 5D2 so far.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:42:53 PM »
Hehe I was mostly kidding since the camera works pretty good already (the ID phenomenon being the only thing negative I've heard so far) -- actually, I'm kind of phobic about non-Canon branded lenses (the Sigma 8-16mm f/4.5-5.6 being the only exception I've decided to make along the way so far).

Actually, the only thing I'd like to see changed is that certain things (like firmware version) aren't visible when on auto mode. 

As a matter of preference, it'd be sweet if every mode acted like M but in a more limited capacity:
Allow you to change a given parameter, but auto-reset when you change out of that mode.

Yes, yes if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bump his arse when he hopped :D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 10:42:53 PM »

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:41:07 PM »
The Canon 60D needs to get the Rebel t3i's Movie Digital Zoom.

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 02:07:39 PM »
Self-timer continuous drive mode would be welcome as well.

Rokkor 58mm 1.2

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
I'd like to see the focal length that a zoom lens is set at in the shooting function display of the info button.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
I do not expect any enhancements other than bug fixes.  The only enhancements Canon has made to firmware was for the 5d MK II, and that was at the urging of many professional film makers who wanted them in very large quantities.   It won't happen again.

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »

1. How much processing power would that take? Do any other cameras do it right now? I'd guess that the system couldn't handle it, especially at 1080p, but i could be wrong (it's highly possible that a P&S does it that i've never heard of)

2. Even my 4 year old olympus P&S does this, it also has 2x2, 3x3, 4x4, 5x5, then calendar when you keep zooming out on replay. my 7D only does 2x2 then 3x3, why not more? the processors in the 7d are bigger than the whole olympus camera. and i take a lot more photos on that. but i have set the top dial to jump by date, kinda makes up for it (if you can do that on 60d?)

4. 7D does this, first thing i changed when i read the menu options. if the 60D doesn't do this (they obviously have the capability) then they never will, it counts as one of the 'upgrades' to the 7D.

meanwhile, does the 60D let you choose max ISO when in autoISO mode? my sister's 550D does, a nikon 3100 i played with once does, my mum's 5 year old *istDL does. why doesn't my 7D?

Self-timer continuous drive mode would be welcome as well.
But then they won't sell as many TC80N3s, remote high-speed mode was why i bought it for birds without bumping the tripod (and got it off ebay (genuine canon even) for the same price as a new remote switch).

I'd like to see the focal length that a zoom lens is set at in the shooting function display of the info button.
Me too, but i doubt it'll happen. they've spent all that time and money engraving/painting numbers on the lens barrels...

Since those are Canon EF lenses that don't work properly with Canon bodies, it would make sense for them to correct the problem.
It would make nice for them to correct it, but not business sense. they've probably weighed up the probability/averages and think that they'll make more money from the people who get frustrated and upgrade a lens than ditch their whole kit to another brand in disgust.

The Canon 60D needs to get the Rebel t3i's Movie Digital Zoom.

This one, and most other suggestions above, probably will get implemented. they'll also update the name badge to '70D' and the price tag too...  ::)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 07:36:50 PM »