Gear Talk > Lenses

Don't want to make a rookie mistake

(1/7) > >>

Kcray85:
I have just begun to get hooked on DSLRs over the past yr.  My wife had an XSi that I learned on before purchasing the T4i in June.  I am looking to spend between $800 -$1200 on a new lens.  I currently have the EF-S 55-250 IS, EF-S 18-55 IS and a 40mm STM.  I mostly take pictures at sporting events, choir concerts (indoors with lower lighting), family events (holidays, weddings, graduations, etc.) and city landscapes. 

I am currently looking at the 70-200 f2.8L non-IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 135 f2L.  I am looking for a lense that would be good enough off a tripod/monopod as well as handheld.

With my lack of experience in photography, I want to make sure that I am considering all options, but want to rely on the expertise of people with much more experience than I.

All suggestions on other lenses are appreciated as well.

K-amps:
Looks like you have enough focal range coverage with your current set-up, so what you need is a fast lens... The 135 f2L fits the bill for indoor sports / portraits/ family events... up your alley in the price department too..

papa-razzi:
I disagree with the recommendation for the 135 f/2 - excellent lens, but on a crop it will be a bit long on occasion and it would burn up your entire budget.  Instead I would recommend the folowing.

- Purchase the EF 85 f/1.8 ($359 today at B&H) - this will cover most of your fast lens indoor needs, and has excellent focus, and is very sharp.  The AF will keep up with your sports and give you a fast lens for low light events like choir concerts where you might need the range.
- Purchase a flash - I recommend the 430 EX II  ($245 today at B&H).  This will give you the ability to take excellent pictures indoors with your kit lens, and introduces you to the world of lighting.
- Sell your 55-250, and purchase the EF 70-200 f/4L (non IS) $629 today at B&H.  For outdoor sports, wildlife, etc.  You don't need IS for sports because your shutter speed will need to be approx 1/500 and at that point IS isn't going to add value.  This is one of the best value L lenses and one of the sharpest 70-200 lenses.
- Buy a tripod (buy the best one you can with the money you have left).  You will want this for your landscape shooting.

You can get all of the above for what you wanted to spend on one lens (after selling the 55-250).  Plus, with the above gear your photography will advance much further.

My 2 cents.

Kcray85:
Sorry, i forgot to mention that i have a 430 EX flash and Manfrotto 190xprob

Botts:

--- Quote from: papa-razzi on November 26, 2012, 01:28:29 PM ---- Sell your 55-250, and purchase the EF 70-200 f/4L (non IS) $629 today at B&H.  For outdoor sports, wildlife, etc.  You don't need IS for sports because your shutter speed will need to be approx 1/500 and at that point IS isn't going to add value.  This is one of the best value L lenses and one of the sharpest 70-200 lenses.
- Buy a tripod (buy the best one you can with the money you have left).  You will want this for your landscape shooting.

You can get all of the above for what you wanted to spend on one lens (after selling the 55-250).  Plus, with the above gear your photography will advance much further.

My 2 cents.

--- End quote ---

Agreed.  I'd consider a used 70-200 f/4 IS instead of the 70-200 f/4 non-IS.  The IS version is sharper, and way more versatile due to IS.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version