July 22, 2014, 03:56:50 AM

Author Topic: First Round of EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]  (Read 27315 times)

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: First Round of EOS 7D Mark II Specs [CR1]
« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »
What they could mean about the battery, is that they are changing the voltage. They updated the 1dx battery, even though it was still compatible with the lp-e4. Canon may just want the new battery for longer lasting life, with the 10fps, and a large file, the camera needs power to save the images.

Something else I'd like, is if canon make a new grip for this 7d ii, I hope it is like the Nikon d300 grip, where you add in a different battery for more power. If they do this with the 1dx battery, and allow the fps to go up, or the fps to last longer, sports/wildlife photographers would really go for that.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: November 27, 2012, 04:42:06 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 27, 2012, 05:50:04 PM »
My guess it will cost right about 9699.00 for the body only.

Lee Jay

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 27, 2012, 06:05:42 PM »

No, it doesn't.  The extra pixels are capable of showing the blur that was already there in more detail.  Reducing the pixel count just hides that blur inside the blur due to poor sampling.

Advanced Diffraction calculator for different sensor types:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/diffraction-photography.htm

Please don't use that site.  That guy barely understands diffraction and the site itself is misleading in that it could lead people into thinking that smaller pixels cause more diffraction, which is just flat out false.  Diffraction is caused by lens aperture, and nothing else.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spatial_cutoff_frequency

Spacial cutoff frequency = 1/lambda*f#

Notice there's no mention of film, sensor, pixels or or pixel size.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2012, 06:08:20 PM »
HMMM...New ergonomic design? Why? The 7D's, and 5D III which borrowed from it, ergonomics are pretty damn stellar...

7D & 5D3 ergonomics are pretty good but I'd comfortably reserve the Stellar award for 1-Series bodies.

Non 1-Series bodies feel almost clunky by comparison. I use both on a daily basis. Ergonomics is one of the defining points of difference between 1-Series and 7D/5D3. Once used, it's hard to settle for less.

If the 7DII can close the gap with further ergonomic refinement then what's there to argue?

-PW

symmar22

« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2012, 06:12:20 PM »
New design and battery.. WHY CANON, WHY?! But other specs looks nice, but I'll pass if I'm not getting good deal out of that one.

New batteries because too many cameras use the same battery and people have enough BP-E6 so they don't buy new ones. If you are a serious user, you want at least a spare one, that you have to buy separately. You cannot reuse the spare from your old camera anymore. A new accessory they can make money from.

stoneysnapper

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »

I also think it will have built in wifi and gps like the 6D has.

As long as it has a mag-alloy chassis, it most probably will not have integrated GPS and WiFi.  The mag-alloy chassis acts as a Faraday cage, preventing decent radio reception/transmission.  Canon would probably compromise on the integrity of the chassis in order to get the wireless antennas into a position where reasonable radio performance is possible.

Fair point.
1Dx, 7D, 24-105, 70-200 IS II, 16-35 II, 100mm Macro IS, 85mm F1.2L II, 24mm F2.8 IS, 18-200, Sigma 1.4x, Canon 2x iii, 430EXII, 600EX- RT, ST-E3 Fuji x100s and X-T1

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »
I only want two things in the 7D2.  Less noise at higher ISO -- ideally a 2 stop boost.  And a locking mode dial.  More AF points and higher FPS would be nice pluses, but not necessary for me.

The one feature that intrigues me about the 5D3 is it's performance in low light.  Based on researching online reviews, I estimate the benefit to be about 3 stops over the 7D (and my 60D).  So, I've dreamed about swapping my 60D/17-55 2.8 IS for the 5DIII/24-105 4L IS -- a logical upgrade path.
I would be losing a stop on the lens for a net gain of 2 stops in low light performance.

Now, if the 7D2 offered that 2 stop boost, I wouldn't need the 5D3 -- which is why I fear that the 7D2 will only have a modest boost in low light performance.  Granted, the 5D3 offers sharper images and deeper color, but I suspect its low light advantage is a key reason that many consider it to be the logical upgrade for a 7D.  Canon may want to preserve this path.

I do think that Canon will position the 7D2 to be the king of crop bodies.  This means more MP, maybe more FPS, and better video -- better than the consumer bodies.  I suspect this is why the 5D3 and the 6D lack the STM video focus benefits of the T4i.  Canon may be saving a better video focus system for the 7D2.  However, I doubt that the 7D2 will get the articulating screen simply because it lessens the durability factor.

I hope I'm wrong.  I don't really care about the video improvements.  All I want is better low light performance -- and a locking mode dial.
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: November 27, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »

Lee Jay

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 27, 2012, 08:35:09 PM »
I only want two things in the 7D2.  Less noise at higher ISO -- ideally a 2 stop boost.

I seriously doubt that's possible.

The one feature that intrigues me about the 5D3 is it's performance in low light.  Based on researching online reviews, I estimate the benefit to be about 3 stops over the 7D (and my 60D).

Not even close.  Slightly more than 1.  Much less than 2.  1 1/3 is what you'd get from nothing but the larger sensor so this is about right.

You might be looking at JPEGs.  The processing engines in the new cameras are quite good, but the raw data hasn't really improved much since the 7D came out.

Have a look:  http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-5d-mark-iii/28

Select the 5DIII and the 7D.  Compare 25,600 on the 5D to 12,800 and 6,400 on the 7D.

FTb-n

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2012, 12:20:32 AM »
I know, a 2 stop boost in high ISO noise reduction is a lot to ask for.

Regarding the noise reduction benefit of the 5D3 vs. 7D, I was definitely looking at the JPEGs and have looked at DPReview's comparison tool.  In a way, I'd take it as good news that the difference is less than two stops since I don't want to spend the money on a 5D3.

I've also looked at the Image Resource's Comparometer (link below).  I don't know if they use in-camera JPEGs or RAW converted by software.  But, to me, the 5D3 at 25600 looks better than the 7D at 6400, but not as good as the 7D at 3200 -- roughly 2 1/2 stops.  Now, I suspect this is a controlled test and real world results may not be as significant.  So, it helps to hear from those with hands on experience.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/IMCOMP/COMPS01.HTM
5D3, 7D | 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-70 f2.8L II, 24-105 f4L IS, 35 f2 IS, 17-55 f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8...  |  PowerShot S100

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2012, 08:17:47 AM »
I do not resist new battery. How will we have better batteries if we do not upgrade every now and then? Yeah it would be a bonus if it was back compatible.

Secretariat

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2012, 08:49:39 AM »
Would make a good backup camera for the 1DX,especially for the reach factor.

Lee Jay

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2012, 09:10:25 AM »

Regarding the noise reduction benefit of the 5D3 vs. 7D, I was definitely looking at the JPEGs and have looked at DPReview's comparison tool.  In a way, I'd take it as good news that the difference is less than two stops since I don't want to spend the money on a 5D3.

I've also looked at the Image Resource's Comparometer (link below).  I don't know if they use in-camera JPEGs or RAW converted by software.  But, to me, the 5D3 at 25600 looks better than the 7D at 6400, but not as good as the 7D at 3200 -- roughly 2 1/2 stops.  Now, I suspect this is a controlled test and real world results may not be as significant.  So, it helps to hear from those with hands on experience.

Those are JPEGs and, yes, the new JPEG engine is very impressive in this regard.

Secretariat

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »
HMMM...New ergonomic design? Why? The 7D's, and 5D III which borrowed from it, ergonomics are pretty damn stellar...

7D & 5D3 ergonomics are pretty good but I'd comfortably reserve the Stellar award for 1-Series bodies.

Non 1-Series bodies feel almost clunky by comparison. I use both on a daily basis. Ergonomics is one of the defining points of difference between 1-Series and 7D/5D3. Once used, it's hard to settle for less.

If the 7DII can close the gap with further ergonomic refinement then what's there to argue?

-PW

+1 here.One of the reasons that made me choose the 1DX over the 5D MKIII even if it was twice more expensive.Of course,that is aside from the 1DX being a bit better and AF and a bit better higher ISO performance,and last but not least,the 12 FPS as compared to the 6 FPS of the 5D MKIII.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: November 28, 2012, 11:13:13 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #118 on: November 28, 2012, 01:10:00 PM »

Those are JPEGs and, yes, the new JPEG engine is very impressive in this regard.

JPEG engines are good, yes, but it is not just processing that improves ISO on Canon's latest sensors. Improvements to Q.E. increase the full well capacity (FWC) in terms of electrons. That in turn allows the use of a higher gain at ISO 100, which increases gain at all other ISO settings (which drop by a factor of two for each stop of ISO.) So, I wouldn't go so far as to say improving ISO by around two stops on the 7D is impossible. Based on sensorgen.info, Canon has been able to improve ISO by about a stop for every 8% increase in Q.E. At the moment, the 7D has 41% Q.E., so if the 7D II was improved to around 57% Q.E. or so, I do not see why it would be impossible for then to achieve two stops better ISO.
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: Canon 5D III/7D II | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »
I wish they would build it with the battery grip, however I know that would be very inconvenient for many folks that don't like it or it's too large for.

I don't see why anyone would want the grip to be built in and not removable.

Granted, it's a limited and self-selecting population, but in the recent Custom Brackets poll, more people have gripped bodies than not, and the majority of people who have a grip on their body use it frequently.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: November 28, 2012, 02:23:00 PM »