November 21, 2014, 04:01:35 PM

Author Topic: Photography websites. Where are you posting?  (Read 11420 times)

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
Re: Photography websites. Where are you posting?
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 03:06:40 AM »
not a big fan of putting my work on 3rd party sites as it usually means i give away my copyright

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 03:06:40 AM »

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 12:03:32 AM »
I've used zenfolio.com for years.

Maintaining ownership and sometimes limiting access was important since I shoot a lot of boy scouts, church and school events, etc.  I don't want an image in the public domain (end up on a news story, cereal box or billboard) because I gave away the rights through a terms and agreements clause when I posted the images on a free site.  Most public and free sites take the rights away from you when you post.

You can also restrict Google search access, add temporary watermarks, secure the galleries or pictures, use passwords, etc.
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

Sunnystate

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 12:35:07 AM »
Have account for years with Smugmug, but after experimenting using someone else computer in the near by city, and seeing my stats not reflecting the true counters, I have posted big watermarks and waiting to see any of my photos printed somewhere without permission.... maybe, I will get lucky...
And for the FB users, my God get to your senses...

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 12:48:27 AM »
I use both 500px, and Flickr.

Both have positives and negatives.  500px generally looks nicer, and cleaner.  However, 500px comments seem to be mostly made to get attention - and the down-vote system seems to be harming the ranking algorithm - since less good stuff seems to be marking it to the front page.   Having said that the ranking algorithm still works far far better than Flickr's "explore".

Flickr is great for groups, storing full resolution copies of images (worst cast backups), private photos, and it has a great API for integration into other sites.  The comments you get on Flickr are generally better, but it's harder to get noticed.

Also maybe this is just me, but 500px seems to favour colourful saturated images of landscapes and women, and cares less about more subtle "artistic" photos.  Where as you can find groups for those kind of photos on Flickr fairly easily. 

I've taken to using Flickr for general photo-sharing, and 500px for my better portfolio level images.
6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
  • IR and Long Exposure junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »
I use both 500px, and Flickr.

Both have positives and negatives.  500px generally looks nicer, and cleaner.  However, 500px comments seem to be mostly made to get attention - and the down-vote system seems to be harming the ranking algorithm - since less good stuff seems to be marking it to the front page.   Having said that the ranking algorithm still works far far better than Flickr's "explore".

Flickr is great for groups, storing full resolution copies of images (worst cast backups), private photos, and it has a great API for integration into other sites.  The comments you get on Flickr are generally better, but it's harder to get noticed.

Also maybe this is just me, but 500px seems to favour colourful saturated images of landscapes and women, and cares less about more subtle "artistic" photos.  Where as you can find groups for those kind of photos on Flickr fairly easily. 

I've taken to using Flickr for general photo-sharing, and 500px for my better portfolio level images.

+1 on that. Flickr is more wholesome but 500px is more presentable... Other photo sharing sites to consider are smugmug and pixoto.
My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »