August 23, 2014, 01:53:07 AM

Author Topic: Review - Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro  (Read 26961 times)

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
Re: Review - Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2013, 12:16:25 PM »
I am worried about the Hybrid IS since someone in this post said that, because of it, his/her photos were soft (and sharp when tuned off). Though, it was only 1 comment going that route.

Nah, that's either a broken lens or people simply don't realize that IS doesn't stop the world around them and the effect diminishes to nearly zero when going near 1:1 mag. And with very fast shutter speeds you should turn IS off because the lens shutter speed is faster than the IS sampling rate resulting in a bit of blur.

The advantage of the hybrid is over other IS systems is that esp. with a 7d/5d3-type af system the lens speeds up the sample rate, so tiny adjustments are adjusted plus it also compensates for forward/back movement next to panning. It's a theoretical advantage esp. when shooting med distance handheld macros, but I wouldn't make a lens choice Canon/Sigma depend on the hybrid is - the downside is that it's noisier and might be more prone to failure since it's more complicated.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
I am worried about the Hybrid IS since someone in this post said that, because of it, his/her photos were soft (and sharp when tuned off). Though, it was only 1 comment going that route.

Nah, that's either a broken lens or people simply don't realize that IS doesn't stop the world around them and the effect diminishes to nearly zero when going near 1:1 mag. And with very fast shutter speeds you should turn IS off because the lens shutter speed is faster than the IS sampling rate resulting in a bit of blur.

The advantage of the hybrid is over other IS systems is that esp. with a 7d/5d3-type af system the lens speeds up the sample rate, so tiny adjustments are adjusted plus it also compensates for forward/back movement next to panning. It's a theoretical advantage esp. when shooting med distance handheld macros, but I wouldn't make a lens choice Canon/Sigma depend on the hybrid is - the downside is that it's noisier and might be more prone to failure since it's more complicated.

agree with marsu, I don't buy the "IS makes it soft" thing at all, unless it's a broken lens. just this morning I spent tome extra time messing around with my 100mm f/2.8 L Macro and it delivers crisp images handheld at 1/15 shutter speed. if I'm patient I can get good-but-not-perfect images at 1/8.

LOLID

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2013, 12:17:10 AM »
I made a choice and since members have been kind enough to post some advises, I believe it is my duty to contribute in articulating my review of the lens (and choice).

I ended up buying the Canon 100L and not the Sigma 150mm.

+ Sharpness: excellent

+ Color and dynamic range: very good (though the tint seems to be a bit on the pink side, easily fixable in post-p)

+ Very versatile: great portrait lens (love the 100mm length / compression on a FF), interesting length for landscape photos (although I wished several times I had a zoom)

- Bokeh = barely decent. I wish it could provide the Bokeh quality of the Canon 50 1.4

- A bit short on a FF for tiny insect macro. By the way, to remedy this, could someone tell me what would be better a (series of) Tube(s) or an Extender x1.4 or x2 ?

- Autofocus seems a bit slow. But maybe I have a bad copy. And lately I have noticed I have an unsual low rate of keeper. Focus misses the mark - nothing is in sharp focus not only at 2.8 but even till 7.1 (and it's not shutter speed issue, neither an IS turned on issue). Not sure if it is an AFMA issue or if my 5D3 has a problem. My 5D3 does its job in terms of AF with the 17-40 but it was impossible to get more than a 2/10 keeper rate with the 50 1.4 that I ended up selling (same problem - nothing in focus).
I read some people ship their body + lens to canon to make sure everything is okay. Is this free of charge?

Thanks for reading.
O.

JVLphoto

• Administrator
  • EOS M2
  • Whatever clicks
    • View Profile
    • JVLphoto
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2013, 08:37:43 AM »
I made a choice and since members have been kind enough to post some advises, I believe it is my duty to contribute in articulating my review of the lens (and choice).

+ Color and dynamic range: very good (though the tint seems to be a bit on the pink side, easily fixable in post-p)

+ Very versatile: great portrait lens (love the 100mm length / compression on a FF), interesting length for landscape photos (although I wished several times I had a zoom)

- Bokeh = barely decent. I wish it could provide the Bokeh quality of the Canon 50 1.4

- A bit short on a FF for tiny insect macro. By the way, to remedy this, could someone tell me what would be better a (series of) Tube(s) or an Extender x1.4 or x2 ?

- Autofocus seems a bit slow. But maybe I have a bad copy. And lately I have noticed I have an unsual low rate of keeper. Focus misses the mark - nothing is in sharp focus not only at 2.8 but even till 7.1 (and it's not shutter speed issue, neither an IS turned on issue). Not sure if it is an AFMA issue or if my 5D3 has a problem. My 5D3 does its job in terms of AF with the 17-40 but it was impossible to get more than a 2/10 keeper rate with the 50 1.4 that I ended up selling (same problem - nothing in focus).
I read some people ship their body + lens to canon to make sure everything is okay. Is this free of charge?

Thanks for reading.
O.

That's not my experience with the lens at all - for enlarging insects you'll want an extension tube to be able to focus even closer (extenders would allow you to shoot from farther away, but not necessarily frame the insect better).

Focus could be an issue on the focus limiter switch? And I'll also note that f/2.8 on a macro photo is incredibly thin, and I wouldn't expect much to be in focus at that. Have you tried a live-view manual focus, with IS off, on a tripod just to be absolutely sure? If that doesn't work then yeah - best to send it in while it's still under warranty.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2013, 10:06:02 AM »
Focus could be an issue on the focus limiter switch? And I'll also note that f/2.8 on a macro photo is incredibly thin, and I wouldn't expect much to be in focus at that. Have you tried a live-view manual focus, with IS off, on a tripod just to be absolutely sure? If that doesn't work then yeah - best to send it in while it's still under warranty.

+1.  Check the focus limiter switch.  If it is in the range that you are trying to use it (non-macro in good light), then check live view.  If live view is a lot better than PDAF, then send it to Canon to have it checked out.  I had a lens that worked in LV fine but wasn't sharp until f/5.6 using PDAF.  Canon adjusted the lens, and it was much better after.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #80 on: August 12, 2013, 10:19:54 AM »

Get the Kenko extender, works great though afaik has issues with afma on 6d/5d3 (check if kenko has updated the fw).

- Autofocus seems a bit slow. But maybe I have a bad copy.

Af is slow, this is a macro lens dual-usable for portraits, in this order.

And lately I have noticed I have an unsual low rate of keeper. Focus misses the mark - nothing is in sharp focus not only at 2.8 but even till 7.1

Try to determine if lens sharpness of the af system is the issue by shooting a chart with mf or contrast af. The 100L should be sharp even wide open, though this is nearly useless for macro b/c of the small dof.

LOLID

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 17, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »
Thanks guys for your advice guys.
I will check AF as you mentioned.
And will get a set of Kenko tubes as the Canon one(s) are ridiculously expensive.
O.

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #82 on: August 17, 2013, 08:25:12 PM »

Thanks for reading.
O.

I simply don't agree with this bolded part AT ALL.  The bokeh on the 100L is beautifully soft and creamy and the rounded aperture blades ensure that the highlights stay round when stopped down.  The bokeh from the 50mm f1/.4 isn't even close.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

tnargs

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2013, 09:21:34 AM »
I simply don't agree with this bolded part AT ALL.  The bokeh on the 100L is beautifully soft and creamy and the rounded aperture blades ensure that the highlights stay round when stopped down.  The bokeh from the 50mm f1/.4 isn't even close.
Totally agree!

Bubba Jones

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »
Discuss the review of the Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
To Justin VanLeeuwen,
In your review, Canon EF 100 f/2.8L, is an error in the second paragraph, "…The new lens complimented, rather than replaced…". It should read "…complemented…". Those two words have different meanings and usages.

Cordially,

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2014, 02:59:55 PM »
Discuss the review of the Canon EF 100 f/2.8L IS Macro
To Justin VanLeeuwen,
In your review, Canon EF 100 f/2.8L, there is an error in the second paragraph, "…The new lens complimented, rather than replaced…". It should read "…complemented…". Those two words have different meanings and usages.

Cordially,

Glass houses and all that. It's OK. We know what both of you meant...

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2014, 06:09:14 PM »
Totally agree!

The 50mm f1.4 USM's out of focus rendering is a little harsh compared to the 50 f1.2 L's
I've found the 100mm f2.8 L Macro lens to be very smooth in it's out of focus rendering too, although no better than most tele L lenses. The 135L and 85IIL spring to mind.

As to the 100mm f2.8 L Macro's AF speed, it's fast for a macro lens, but slow for a L lens.