December 19, 2014, 02:25:41 AM

Author Topic: Technical novice upgrading to EOS 5D?  (Read 1385 times)

jimc8p

Technical novice upgrading to EOS 5D?
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »
I am thinking of upgrading from an Eos 30D to an Eos 5D MkII. Basically I am a hobby photographer who'd like to do stills along with video at a much higher image quality. My style is not so much about perfect detail and technical images - I don't mind a little dithering from noise and blur. My problem with the 30D is its focus reliability, along with low resolution and no ability for video.

2 things I'd like to know are -

Do my needs justify a 5D over a 7D?

Will my lenses now be useless?

-Canon Zoom Lens - 17 mm - 85 mm - F/4.0-5.6 - Canon EF-S
-Canon Lens - 50 mm - F/1.8 - Canon EF

Here's some of my photos for ref:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Photography/775988
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Portrait-Photography/2075548

Many thanks :)

canon rumors FORUM

Technical novice upgrading to EOS 5D?
« on: November 27, 2012, 10:22:33 AM »

Area256

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Technical novice upgrading to EOS 5D?
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 11:16:56 AM »
Your 17-85mm won't work on full frame (the 5Dmk II), the 50mm will.  Both will work on the 7D.

The focus reliability of the 7D is considered much better than the 5D mark II, especially for moving subjects.

The 5D mark II will produce higher image quality, but the 7D is by no means a bad camera when it comes to IQ.

I would have a look at DPreviews to get a better understanding of what each has to offer.

If you don't really need to extra image quality of the full frame (I.e. you aren't printing large), and don't need the extra depth of field control and high ISO performance of a full frame, the 7D is a great camera.

Nice work by the way.

6D, 24-105mm f/4L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 50mm f/1.4, 40mm f/2.8, lots of strobist stuff.
Flickr  500px

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 11:21:00 AM »
I am thinking of upgrading from an Eos 30D to an Eos 5D MkII. Basically I am a hobby photographer who'd like to do stills along with video at a much higher image quality. My style is not so much about perfect detail and technical images - I don't mind a little dithering from noise and blur. My problem with the 30D is its focus reliability, along with low resolution and no ability for video.

2 things I'd like to know are -

Do my needs justify a 5D over a 7D?

Will my lenses now be useless?

-Canon Zoom Lens - 17 mm - 85 mm - F/4.0-5.6 - Canon EF-S
-Canon Lens - 50 mm - F/1.8 - Canon EF

Here's some of my photos for ref:

http://www.behance.net/gallery/Photography/775988
http://www.behance.net/gallery/Portrait-Photography/2075548

Many thanks :)

I would probably get the 7D over the mk2. It's got everything but the IQ of a FF sensor.

If you do plan on going FF, Skip the 5D2 series camera and get a MK3. It will save you alot of headaches.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 02:19:29 PM »
My 30D had wonderful IQ, so if yours doesn't, your camera or likely lens is the issue. 
Some of the new Sigma lenses will have AF fine tuning (they really needed that), and will work great on bodies with no AFMA.
The 5D MK II will be a big step up, and you will love it.  You will want a longer lens to get the same FOV, the 24-105mmL is ideal for that.
The 5D MK II has very good and accurate AF with the center point, even in very low light.  However, don't bother with tracking or outer AF points.

SJTstudios

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »
7d!
 you get to keep your 17-85, you get a little bit more reach with that (24-105 equivalent). So then you get all the nice things like focus, and af for things like the oars and cat you shot. I'm sorry to say that you don't have the gear to move up to ff, and other than portraits, it may not benefit you.
Moving up on cameras is all about what you shoot, if you work well on crop, than keep it, if your hindered by it, go to ff. the 5d ii is descent, so don't worry even if you buy one, I shoot with a rebel and I've used the 5dii before. They both have 9af points, and the 5d ii actually has 1+ fps! So if you don't do that much action, get the 5d ii, you'd just have to sell your 17-85, and buy a sigma 24-70, which is decent for the price or the tamron 28-75, both are decently priced used. Sigma for the compactness, or the tamron for the sharpness.

But it really is up to you, if you feel comfortable, with what you use, and all you want is better iso! The 7d would work better, without you having to learn how to go about using ff. but if you like learning, and you about photography in a lazy faire fashion, then get the 5d ii and a new lens, it would work nice for what your doing as an enthusiast, that is what the 6d is designed for, while the 7d is the pro-flagship aps-c body for action and wildlife shooters.
So really the 5d would work for you, you just have to fork in a bit more $$$.

But thats only when it comes to the two.

I'd honestly suggest a 60d/50d, the get better ISo, have better fps, and the 60d has video. The low price could give you some money to put towards a 70-200 f4 (great iq) and a 17-40, with you 50 filling the gap, at that point ff, would be good. Because right now, your used to the crop dslrs, and you should just ease into it, jumping into it can screw you sometimes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 12:19:05 PM »