August 02, 2014, 05:57:23 AM

Author Topic: BigValueInc - Ad claim of Canon USA Warranty is blatant lie, buyers beware!  (Read 12499 times)

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
CR recently ran a tip about Canon EOS 5D Mark III Body $2499. Go to the eBay link and the ad clearly states at the top for all to see "Canon USA Warranty" which is in fact a blatant lie.

I called Canon and asked them specifically about their warranty policy after reading their written legal warranty description. Despite the legal language not including a single mention of "authorized dealer", their stated policy is that they do not honor warranty on any item not purchased from an "authorized dealer", reasoning that non-authorized dealers are considered the "first purchaser", not the "reseller". According to Canon, that makes the buyer from BigValueInc the second buyer of a used camera. Yet the BigValueInc ad prominently lists it as "New" with "Canon USA Warranty".

BigValueInc is not on Canon's list of authoized dealers. In fact BigValueInc even states in their "about us" section that they are not an authorized dealer.

Yet there it is right at the top for all to see "Canon USA Warranty" and "New". Both of which are in fact a blatant lies.

It's also interesting that eBay is looking the other way on this matter.

I almost bit on one of these for $2886 after missing out on the $2499 deal...glad I looked into it closer...and felt this info was worth sharing.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
I purchased one for 2499$ and I've also purchased a 24-105L from them as well.The 24-105L was perfect, no issues.

Even If i were to stab my 5D3 sensor with a screw driver and send it in to be repaired, It'd still be cheaper than buying a 5D3 retail at that insane 2499$ price tag.

Just my 2 cents.

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com
It's a risk people willing to take to save money. This is perfect sample how "YOU" show your support to street activities. It's sad to see, but it's reality :( :( :(
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
I purchased one for 2499$ and I've also purchased a 24-105L from them as well.The 24-105L was perfect, no issues.

Even If i were to stab my 5D3 sensor with a screw driver and send it in to be repaired, It'd still be cheaper than buying a 5D3 retail at that insane 2499$ price tag.

Just my 2 cents.

Oh, I'd agree $2499 is a good price based on what retail is.  They sold 500 units at $2499. And if they would have properly labeled them as grey market they would have still sold 500 units at that price. Everyone would have reasoned as you did and said to heck with the warranty.

But it is not such a good deal at $2900. Yet they propogate the lies and eBay looks the other direction.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
It's a risk people willing to take to save money. This is perfect sample how "YOU" show your support to street activities. It's sad to see, but it's reality :( :( :(

How so??? I saw a price, I did the research and found the lies, and I did not buy it. Plus I had the decency to pass on the information.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
Your warranty is through BigValueInc, not Canon USA. Their wording is incorrect,  however they're a very solid seller. I think this would be an issue if the warranty was 2-3 years, but it's for one. In my experience, this camera is rock solid as far as reliability. If the camera does break, you have to send it to them, not to Canon USA. Although, I'm willing to wager you'd still get a warranty repair most of the time on the camera with a receipt from BigValueInc.

Going by the 5D Mark IIs we rent, the most expensive repair is about $300 bucks if a piece of electronics goes. We have yet to fix a 5D mark III, but I imagine they'd be about the same.

My 2cents.

[edit] OK, so I did more research:

From their "about" page: "We offer a one-year in-house warranty on imported goods at a nominal cost."

From their eBay ad: "Add warranty from $299.99"

Current BVI price $2886 plus $299 warranty equals $3185. Meanwhile B&H has it for $3299 including $146 of extra useable accessories equals $3153 for the body. So where is the "good deal" at BigValueInc??

Sorry, but it is total BS in my book for them to post claims about warranty that are patently untrue. They'd lose their behinds if a class action were filed. LOL, I'm not going to do it since I didn't buy from them, but obviously their legal counsel didn't come from an Ivy League school...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:41:16 PM by skitron »

Dylan777

• View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com

How so??? I saw a price, I did the research and found the lies, and I did not buy it. Plus I had the decency to pass on the information.

Just my thoughts on buyers bought the cameras from them
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

canon rumors FORUM

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile

Just my thoughts on buyers bought the cameras from them

I can understand your sentiment.

My personal opinion is that grey market is not really a bad thing as long as it is clearly stated that is what the product is.

My problem is when a seller like BigValueInc engages in deceptive trade practice, which is illegal in the US, and eBay looks the other way.

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
it seems recently the forum has degraded into countless threads about warrantee this and warrantee that.  i guess it's at least different than the usual "should I move to Nikon", "screw you canon I'm not buying a (insert newly announced product) unless it's 40% cheaper...so I'm moving to Nikon", and "Canon is dead because DxO says their sensor doesn't produce a million bits of dr...and I'm moving to Nikon"

So with that in mind, screw you canon for your authorized dealer warrantee stance...I'm moving to Nikon  :P

bikerbrub

I purchaced a 24-105mm from them. The lens was in perfect condition with the case. They were also upfront about their warranty in my case. I would rather spent $799 for a new lens with their warranty than purchace a used one with no wanrranty. I would recommend purchacing from them if the price is right.

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: BigValueInc - Ad claim of Canon USA Warranty is blatant lie, buyers beware!
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
it seems recently the forum has degraded into countless threads about warrantee this and warrantee that.

This thread is about deceptive trade practices.  It just happens to be the deception is with respect to warranty is all. I actually don't have a problem with Canon's stance on the issue.

Mendolera

• Canon AE-1
  • Heck, I’m not even mad; that’s amazing..
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 01:44:59 PM »
Agreed its somewhat deceptive by stating Canon USA Warranty when its not...
I totally understand anyone hesitant to by from them but IMO I was lucky to score one at the $2499 price for these reasons.

• They have a 99%+ rating on eBay.
    They have a 30 day full refund return policy if anything is defective so that was some reassurance for me. Usually if something is defective it will be in the first month.
    Canons warranty is only good for a year as it is so at the end of that year, it also not warranted and cameras are the same (Understand if your CPS it might be different). On refurbs its only 90 days..
    You can buy a three year square trade warranty for couple hundred and still be at around 2700 (considering)
    No sales tax for me in NY

I know of others that have gotten their stuff fixed through Canon buying from other non-authorized dealers though wouldn't count on it with MAP pricing
5DIII | EOS M | 24-105 F/4L | 100-400 F/4.5-5.6L | 70-200 F/4L | 85 F/1.8 | 50 F/1.4 | 580EXII | 22 F/2 M / 18-55 M | Sigma 105mm OS Macro

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
There are plenty of threads on CR and other forums about unauthorized sellers, and the fact that Canon will tell you that they do not warranty them.
A new camera means its unused and unopened, It does not imply that the seller is a authorized seller.  The fact that it contains a USA warranty card merely shows it was made for the US market.
They should not list it as having a Canon USA warranty.
I haven't actually heard of anyone who was refused USA warranty service as long as they registered it when they received it.  In Canada, they seem to be tougher about it, and Canon USA may also start actually refusing them at any time rather than just threatening to.

It was a birthday / christmas gift from your rich grandma who did not include the warranty card wasn't it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »

skitron

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 02:31:00 PM »
I totally understand anyone hesitant to by from them but IMO I was lucky to score one at the $2499 price...

I agree it was a good price even with no warranty. The thing that was so goofy about them making the false claim it had a Canon USA warranty is that at the $2499 price point, I would buy the camera AND their $300 warranty if the deal were clearly labeled as grey market. And since that equates to a little over 10% discount over retail of $3200 I guarantee they would have still sold out PLUS sold a bunch of warranties.

But at the current $2900 plus $300 for the warranty plus the deceptive trade practice, when I can buy from a top tier reseller for the same price, BigValueInc is a complete AVOID in my book... And meanwhile a bunch of unsuspecting poor saps are going to buy from them thinking they're saving a few bucks and have Canon tell them to take a hike if it breaks...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 02:35:37 PM by skitron »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »
I totally understand anyone hesitant to by from them but IMO I was lucky to score one at the $2499 price...

I agree it was a good price even with no warranty. The thing that was so goofy about them making the false claim it had a Canon USA warranty is that at the $2499 price point, I would buy the camera AND their $300 warranty if the deal were clearly labeled as grey market. And since that equates to a little over 10% discount over retail of $3200 I guarantee they would have still sold out PLUS sold a bunch of warranties.

But at the current $2900 plus $300 for the warranty plus the deceptive trade practice, when I can buy from a top tier reseller for the same price, BigValueInc is a complete AVOID in my book...

They are not gray market bodies (as being imported from another country).  They are USA models which were bought from a Authorized Dealer either because the dealer was pinched for cash, as many now are, or in a under the table deal to increase the sales volume of the authorized dealer so that he meets sales targets necessary to earn a incentive.
Both the buyer, the authorized dealer, and the customer are winners.  Canon also sells a few more cameras and keeps workers employeed in Japan.  Its hard to identify a loser.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 02:39:59 PM »