October 24, 2014, 06:16:24 AM

Author Topic: Canon 6D pricing... so much difference worldwide  (Read 10956 times)

Eric_2012

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Canon 6D pricing... so much difference worldwide
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »
Why is there so much difference on the pricing of the Canon 6D? Some countries really get a raw deal.  From my digging around it seems US citizens will be able to pick one up for $2100 whilst if you are in the UK it's quoted on several sites at £1799 the equivalent of $2,900.  That's 38% more expensive. 

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 6D pricing... so much difference worldwide
« on: November 27, 2012, 12:17:13 PM »

Eric_2012

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 6D pricing... so much difference worldwide
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 12:25:39 PM »
Check this out even a Japanese buyer has to pay the equivalent of Yen 198,000 which is $2,400 - US only $2,100.   I shall import and get it quicker.  I just Googled this site which-canon-camera and found from a post on their blog I can save a heap of cash on list and duty paid too
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 12:55:14 PM by Eric_2012 »

Tozz

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 07:34:12 AM »
In Switzerland I can preorder the 6D for about 2050$ :D

anden

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »
Sweden right now: $2600, $2100+VAT

SwampYankee

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 08:40:01 AM »
I tried to get a 6D, seems there are non.  got a 5D3 instead for $2800.  Bird in the hand I suppose.  5D3 came down 20% in less than a year.  If the 6D goes the same way, and the early adopter fee is 20%, you would be looking at a $1,700 6D this time next year
5DIII | 70-200 IS F4L | 24-105L |50 1.8 I |1002.8L | Tokina 16-28 2.8 |600EX

Sad_Dave

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 09:30:54 AM »
In Germany it is $ 2600 as i see.

beetle

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »
1999 EUR here in Slovakia.
5D3, 24-105, 85 1.8, 35 art or 50 art will be next

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2012, 09:53:54 AM »

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
Check this out even a Japanese buyer has to pay the equivalent of Yen 198,000 which is $2,400 - US only $2,100.   I shall import and get it quicker.  I just Googled this site which-canon-camera and found from a post on their blog I can save a heap of cash on list and duty paid too

actually amazon.jp has the 6D for 178,201 Yen.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 10:07:12 AM »
Why is there so much difference on the pricing of the Canon 6D? Some countries really get a raw deal.

In Germany it's €1998 on Amazon which is pretty reliable at matching the lowest non-shady online price. That's certainly not great, but not bad enough to wait a year for it to drop significantly - in absolute €€€ terms the devaluation cannot be as large as fast as with the 5d3.

daniemare

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 10:57:33 AM »
One reason is VAT.  In EU and most VAT countries, my understanding is that you have to advertise INCLUSIVE of VAT.  The US does not.

If you strip out the relevant VAT charge, you will be closer.  Now the fact that the US has lower sales tax or no sales tax at all (depending on where you live and how you buy), that is what each country/state votes for I suppose.

Now this is not the only one reason.  There are a myriad of others, like import duty, business tax and payroll taxes etc.  Take for instance the female employee at Canon USA. Canon has relatively no legal obligation towards her if she wanted to go on maternity leave, while the Scandanavian employee has a mandatory 2 years (if I recall correctly).  Regardless of who pays for that directly, the money has to come from somewhere.

Then last but not least is volumes and turnover.  Not a lot of countries beat the USA on this one.  Especially not us here in Canada where bodies are beginning to  come on par but not lenses.
Canon 6D, Canon 24-105 F4L IS, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100 F2.8L IS macro, Canon 50 F1.4, Canon 28 F1.8

nameless

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 11:15:53 AM »
One reason is VAT.  In EU and most VAT countries, my understanding is that you have to advertise INCLUSIVE of VAT.  The US does not.

If you strip out the relevant VAT charge, you will be closer.  Now the fact that the US has lower sales tax or no sales tax at all (depending on where you live and how you buy), that is what each country/state votes for I suppose.

Now this is not the only one reason.  There are a myriad of others, like import duty, business tax and payroll taxes etc.  Take for instance the female employee at Canon USA. Canon has relatively no legal obligation towards her if she wanted to go on maternity leave, while the Scandanavian employee has a mandatory 2 years (if I recall correctly).  Regardless of who pays for that directly, the money has to come from somewhere.

Then last but not least is volumes and turnover.  Not a lot of countries beat the USA on this one.  Especially not us here in Canada where bodies are beginning to  come on par but not lenses.

In Switzerland you can preorder the 6D for 1965 Swiss Francs, which is around 2100 USD and INCLUDES tax. And Switzerland is obviously smaller than the USA (and Canada, Germany, UK, ...). The two stores, which have this price are not shady, I buy at both regularly.
5D III / 7D
UWA - Supertele

Eric_2012

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 11:35:08 AM »
That Swiss price appears to be a bargain as I know prices there traditionally are higher.  I have checked out that post on which-canon-camera.com and it appears that could be the way to go as Duty and Shipping are paid and a warranty is supplied which is a major concern when buying across borders.  Although some prices elsewhere are cheaper you might end up with a warranty that cannot be used easily in the event of a problem.

anden

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »

Just for the protocol, the parental leave rules vary between the Scandinavian countries but in the largest one, it's a total of 15 paid months per child by which 2 can only be taken by the mother and 2 only by the father.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 12:39:15 PM »

anden

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 12:40:54 PM »
That Swiss price appears to be a bargain as I know prices there traditionally are higher.  I have checked out that post on which-canon-camera.com and it appears that could be the way to go as Duty and Shipping are paid and a warranty is supplied which is a major concern when buying across borders.  Although some prices elsewhere are cheaper you might end up with a warranty that cannot be used easily in the event of a problem.
Indeed a low Swiss price there. Since Switzerland is outside EU, customs in my country would add, just like for shipments from USA and any other non-EU country, local VAT and customs fee, making the camera land above my local price.

But for that price difference, I could actually buy a round-trip air ticket to the Alps and carry it home myself.

Eric_2012

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »

Yes Anden, of course Switzerland is not EU and VAT would be added making it 20% more expensive in UK and similar amounts in other EU countries.  Not sure how that company in the post can afford to export and carry the cost of the duty but I know a few in UK that have used them and nothing but positives

« Last Edit: November 28, 2012, 12:50:41 PM by Eric_2012 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 12:47:03 PM »