November 28, 2014, 04:51:57 PM

Author Topic: PowerShot Rumor: S95 Replacement [CR2]  (Read 22445 times)

gordonsbuck

PowerShot Rumor: S95 Replacement [CR2]
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »
Not a rumor (but will probably start some), my own predictions for the next PowerShot G are posted at http://lightdescription.blogspot.com/2011/06/powershot-g-prediction.html

I'm curious what others might predict.

canon rumors FORUM

PowerShot Rumor: S95 Replacement [CR2]
« on: June 09, 2011, 09:09:31 AM »

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Re: PowerShot Rumor: S95 Replacement [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 12:36:42 PM »
Canon PowerShot S100 A brief bit of information in regards to the replacement of the S95. Apparently an S100 has shown up in an inventory system.

Brief Specs

• 12mp
  • 5x Zoom
  • Available in September

This would mark a small increase in MP (2) and a small increase in zoom. No mention of video resolution.

cr

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:26:56 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2011, 12:48:52 PM »
Hmmm...another minor update to the line, typically Canon.  But, a 5x zoom would be nice, providing they keep it as an f/2 lens and don't make the body any thicker than the S95.  2 more MP?  Could live without it, but it won't hurt.  Will I replace my S95?  For a 28-140mm lens (only longer than current), probably not, but for a 24-120mm (longer and wider than current), I probably would.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

cdcooker

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 04:06:03 PM »
Canon has a PowerShot S100 long time ago, a 2MP camera using CF card, probably the first digital Elph, as far as i remember.  They should give the new camera a new name to avoid any confusion.

The new "S95" replacement should have specs similar to the Olympus XZ-1.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »
Canon has a PowerShot S100 long time ago, a 2MP camera using CF card, probably the first digital Elph, as far as i remember.  They should give the new camera a new name to avoid any confusion.

I'm thinking the same. Hell, S95 Mk II would be fine.

I just don't see that they'd call it S100 due to the old model.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

CR Backup Admin

• Administrator
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
Camera manufacturewrs have had a dismal record of product naming.  They obviously did not forsee the rapid development of digital cameras, and thought that like film cameras, they might pop out a new model every 10 years.

They really need to develop a better plan for naming models.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »
Camera manufacturewrs have had a dismal record of product naming.  They obviously did not forsee the rapid development of digital cameras, and thought that like film cameras, they might pop out a new model every 10 years.

Well, they went from S80 to S90 to S95 . . . S100 is not inevitable . . .

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the MK version. Hell, Honda is so much better than GM just from sticking to a naming convention alone.  The current accord is informally the 8th generation . . . which is perfectly fine as insiders all know what it means, and you can quickly find out with a google search.

Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 10:08:07 PM »

ronderick

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 10:31:51 PM »
Bad naming aside... from the looks of it, the S95 and its successors will probably retain a comfortable standing in its market for a year or two. It seems that the only serious rival is the Olympus XZ-1 at this point (I'll disregard the LX-5 here, since it has too big a lens in the front to be considered a camera that can easily fit into one's pocket).  Maybe Nikon can do better with the P300 successor, but who knows? :P
Canon EOS 1D MKIV, EF 24-105mm F/4L, EF 70-200mm F/2.8L, TS-E 17mm F/4L, EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro
FujiFilm FinePix X100

gmrza

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:54:09 PM »

Well, they went from S80 to S90 to S95 . . . S100 is not inevitable . . .

Honestly, I don't see what's wrong with the MK version. Hell, Honda is so much better than GM just from sticking to a naming convention alone.  The current accord is informally the 8th generation . . . which is perfectly fine as insiders all know what it means, and you can quickly find out with a google search.

Maybe camera manufacturers have wanted to keep people on the upgrade path.
Maybe they think people will get confused if, for instance, an EOS5D was different depending on the model year of the camera.

On the other hand Apple stick with "Macbook" "Macbook Pro" etc. and refresh them every so often, and nobody gets confused, and everybody still wants the latest and greatest.  (On the other hand, Apple have a problem coming when they run out of big cats.)

Canon have a bigger problem:
- Powershot G13 - I think not!
- What comes after Powershot S99?  (S96 has no ring to it anyhow)
- What comes after the EOS 950D?
- What comes after the EOS 90D?

Canon have painted themselves into a corner.  Nikon will take a little bit longer to hit the same problem...
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

Aputure

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Aputure Blog
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 03:38:40 AM »
Hmmm...another minor update to the line, typically Canon.  But, a 5x zoom would be nice, providing they keep it as an f/2 lens and don't make the body any thicker than the S95.  2 more MP?  Could live without it, but it won't hurt.  Will I replace my S95?  For a 28-140mm lens (only longer than current), probably not, but for a 24-120mm (longer and wider than current), I probably would.

I agree, a 24-120 lens will be a worthwhile feature to upgrade for. I still have an S90 (and quite happy with it) and a wider angle would be worth going for. Also couldn't care about the extra 2MP, as long as it doesn't increase the noise levels. Please keep it the same size!

takeapic

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2011, 07:19:58 AM »
Any idea whether they will finally give the S some type of grip or at least something to better hold it comfortably?

I like the idea of the 24mm....finally!

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 02:27:34 PM »
Any idea whether they will finally give the S some type of grip or at least something to better hold it comfortably?

Try the Franiec grip.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »
Actually, come to think of it, the only thing the S95 is truly lacking is . . . a flash that isn't located where your finger intuitively holds the camera :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:22 PM »

bvukich

• Spam Assassin
  • Administrator
  • 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • My (sparse) ZenFolio Site
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2011, 10:46:41 PM »

I still have one.  It was my first digital Canon.  Still works, but the battery lasts a matter of minutes.  For the time, and it's size; it took outstanding pictures.

I was planning on using it for a CLP trade-in someday.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:46:38 AM »

I can't imagine anything they could do to make me "upgrade."

This is a camera I can pull out of my pocket, take a good picture, and put back in my pocket. Often, the pictures are even better than good. It gives me RAW files I can process myself. I can go full manual if I want to. It has lots of gadgets -- scene stuff, HDR, etc. to play with if I'm bored. The lens is fast so I can do reasonably well in reduced light. And all that for a song!

And since I almost never use anything but natural light....

I plan to be happy with this for a long, long time.

And I'm willing to bet they won't try to break the $400 barrier with it.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 12:46:38 AM »