April 20, 2014, 12:10:04 AM

Author Topic: PowerShot Rumor: S95 Replacement [CR2]  (Read 20978 times)

donjensen

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Re: PowerShot Rumor: S95 Replacement [CR2]
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »
Nobody missing a 1080p video recording?
I would also love to see it go wider than 28, and don´t care about hot shoe, viewfinder or more megapixel.

I was planing to buy the S95 for my wife, for our travel to florida in september. It´s going to be an addition to my Canon 7D.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2011, 05:34:14 PM »

henryblyth

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2011, 07:47:23 PM »
I would also love to see it go wider than 28, and don´t care about hot shoe, viewfinder or more megapixel.

I was planing to buy the S95 for my wife, for our travel to florida in september. It´s going to be an addition to my Canon 7D.

Agree with all of the above. I can also fully recommend the S95. It's an amazing camera. So much easier to 'have around' than a 7D. I'm not a fan of always having a DSLR in my hand, and the S95 is just as quick to start up, especially if you have your fingers already pushing the zoom lever or other functions, setting up the composition you have framed in your mind.

Unfortunately, so far it seems, no compact camera turns on or wakes from sleep to the same focal length it was at last.

bibdd

« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2011, 06:07:10 AM »
Only Thing that really bothers me is the rather poor shutter lag. I hope they will improve that significantly. Manual autofocuspoint selection, zoom during video, 1080p and wider and longer lens would be nice of course. Assuming that the camera remains the same size as the S95.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2011, 08:13:04 AM »
Only Thing that really bothers me is the rather poor shutter lag. I hope they will improve that significantly. Manual autofocuspoint selection, zoom during video, 1080p and wider and longer lens would be nice of course. Assuming that the camera remains the same size as the S95.

me too, love the camera, but when chasing my little one around... too slow...

brainman

« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2011, 09:10:22 AM »
I was about to buy an S95 as a pocket camera / back up to my SLR but looking back announcements for S90 & S95 have both been on 19th August in 2010 & 2011 repectively so I will hang fire to either get an S100(?) or cheaper S95 depending on what it delivers.  S100 sounds like evolutionary improvement on S95 which in turn was on S90 and is expected to be a 'better' camera following Canon's Kaizen strategy but I may not need it to turn out good pictures.

12mp would be nice but is not essential and wouldn't make me buy s100 over a cheap s95.
5x Zoom again good but better if wide angle goes out to 24mm (to 120) or even 27mm (to 135).   Wider + 5x zoom would make me get the s100.

Other items I would like:
Even better dynamic range / low light handling / even bigger sensor (as rumored for G13).  We can dream.
No change in max aperture unless it becomes f/1.8!
1080p would be interesting but is not essential.  Slomo/fastmo capabilities of Nikon P300 would also be nice.
No increase in size/weight unless building in improved grip.
Move from 460k to 920k screen to rival P300 would also help in-camera review.
Improved start up time.
Closer macro focus.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2011, 04:06:43 PM »
I was about to buy an S95 as a pocket camera / back up to my SLR but looking back announcements for S90 & S95 have both been on 19th August in 2010 & 2011 repectively so I will hang fire to either get an S100(?) or cheaper S95 depending on what it delivers.  S100 sounds like evolutionary improvement on S95 which in turn was on S90 and is expected to be a 'better' camera following Canon's Kaizen strategy but I may not need it to turn out good pictures.

12mp would be nice but is not essential and wouldn't make me buy s100 over a cheap s95.
5x Zoom again good but better if wide angle goes out to 24mm (to 120) or even 27mm (to 135).   Wider + 5x zoom would make me get the s100.

Other items I would like:
Even better dynamic range / low light handling / even bigger sensor (as rumored for G13).  We can dream.
No change in max aperture unless it becomes f/1.8!
1080p would be interesting but is not essential.  Slomo/fastmo capabilities of Nikon P300 would also be nice.
No increase in size/weight unless building in improved grip.
Move from 460k to 920k screen to rival P300 would also help in-camera review.
Improved start up time.
Closer macro focus.

The S95 (or replacement) are technically P&S cameras and thus, the (in-stock) sweet spot tends to be between The first part of November and the middle of December for hot deals.  Got mine for $299 from Amazon around Thanksgiving. 

That said, clearance time is always awesome for those of us that are frugal as well, but you risk missing out.  Every month or so, I remind her that it's now selling for $400 . . .  ;D
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »
I bought a S90, but I have large hands, and had to hold my finger such that I could push the buttons with the edge of my fingernail, and then, it took several tries to push it correctly.  My fingers kept covering the lens when I held it, and when I did take some photos under incandescent light that normally come out fine with my DSLR, the color was horrible and hard to correct.

Outdoors in bright sun, there was no way to fram a image, just point and hope you got something.  I'm glad that some are able to use it, but its not for everyone.  I have a little trouble with my wife's G12 in pushing the control buttons, but It has a viewfinder, and the fold out lcd let me hold it high over my head at a outdoor concert and take photos that were not blocked by the big crowd in front of me.  It was a overcast day, and I could tilt the display until I could see well enough to frame the photos.

Be sure to give one a try if your hands are large, and don't expect to use that lcd display in bright sun.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2011, 05:57:31 PM »

gordonsbuck

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2011, 09:03:41 PM »
Although not in my predictions, I hope that the S100 <-- S95 will have a different lens with increased zoom ratio because the G14 would then naturally also have a new lens as well to establish product differentiation. 

I really do believe that the G14 and S100 will have 12MP -- hope that these are 12MP of good pixels!

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2011, 12:38:32 AM »

Nope. It's a camera for family snaps and when I'm out...

Plus, playing 720p is much easier on more computers than 1080p.

yup, going out to 24mm would be marvelous.

Perfect handbag/purse camera.

junipa

« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2011, 10:36:20 AM »

This is my dilemma also. I've been umming and erring about buying an S95 for a few months and finally thought I might as well wait until its replacement comes out. No point in buying a camera just before it's due to be superseded, right? But if the speculation on this board is correct, I don't think it'd really be worth the wait. Might as well get the S95 and be done with it.

The only thing which puts me off the S95 is lack of viewfinder. My current compact is an SX210 IS, which replaced my Ixus 850 and I hate that it doesn't have a viewfinder. I know that makes me a dinosaur but I'm thinking of getting a G12 (or whatever comes next) just for the viewfinder.

dilbert

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 10:08:21 AM »

This is my dilemma also. I've been umming and erring about buying an S95 for a few months and finally thought I might as well wait until its replacement comes out. No point in buying a camera just before it's due to be superseded, right? But if the speculation on this board is correct, I don't think it'd really be worth the wait. Might as well get the S95 and be done with it.

The only thing which puts me off the S95 is lack of viewfinder. My current compact is an SX210 IS, which replaced my Ixus 850 and I hate that it doesn't have a viewfinder. I know that makes me a dinosaur but I'm thinking of getting a G12 (or whatever comes next) just for the viewfinder.

Being able to get rid of the view finder on compact cameras is the best thing the digital revolution ever did for that market segment. Seriously. Unless your view finder images through the lens, what's the benefit to be gained by squishing the camera up against your face?

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 10:14:38 AM »
Unless your view finder images through the lens, what's the benefit to be gained by squishing the camera up against your face?

Shade.  A blast of sun on the rear LCD can make it tough to compose a shot (although I've not had that issue with my S95 - the display is quite bright).
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 12:00:20 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »
Unless your view finder images through the lens, what's the benefit to be gained by squishing the camera up against your face?

Shade. 

Listen, unless you're using a XH G1S, I think you're still gonna get a sunburn regardless of your technique.

Yes. I know I'm going to hell for that.
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 11:51:51 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2011, 02:39:27 PM »
Being able to get rid of the view finder on compact cameras is the best thing the digital revolution ever did for that market segment. Seriously. Unless your view finder images through the lens, what's the benefit to be gained by squishing the camera up against your face?

I like to be able to frame my subjects when outdoors as well as indoors.  Having no viewvinder is great for those who do not worry about framing their photo, just pointing the camera in the general direction of the subject doesn't cut it for me.  I often hear complaints from P&S owners who never dreamed that a camera would not have a viewfinder, they shell out $$$ for a camera to take on Vacation to a nice sunny place like Hawaii, and then discover the camera is worthless for composing a image.

My G11 has a viewfinder, and it works very well for composing images.  Not as good as a EVF, but better than point and hope.

When using liveview outdoors for macro, I have a big black cloth I put over the camera and my head so I can see to get perfect focus.  Just like they did in the 1890's.

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »

Shade. 

Listen, unless you're using a XH G1S, I think you're still gonna get a sunburn regardless of your technique.

nice one  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2011, 03:37:23 PM »