September 22, 2014, 04:43:24 AM

Author Topic: 5D3 continuous shooting speed  (Read 5799 times)

Octavian

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 continuous shooting speed
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 06:16:18 AM »
pg 113 in the 5D3 Manual:

"When the battery level is low, continuous shooting speed may become slower"

They don't say how low or how slow but when I first got my 5D3 and the battery was fairly empty and tried High-speed continuous it was definitely not 6fps.

Still, I'm quite please with the autofocus and the frame rate when it is actually shooting at 6fps.  With my 7D and 8 fps, I always found if conditions weren't perfect, about 50% of the photos would not be critically sharp when viewed at 100% pixel peeping.  With the lower frame rate but better autofocus, I still find the 5D3 gives me more keepers.

This should be a menu option to disable that right and code it to go as low as e.g. 10% or something.
Some photographers (journalists, sports, wildlife) would require high speed up until the battery is close to depleted.
These heavy users would have other batteries to swap in when needed.
Having to do this after every 51% usage would be less than ideal for those folks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 06:16:18 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 07:00:54 AM »
How about a better battery?

Could it be that the better battery is the one mentioned in the spec list for the upcoming 7DII?

-PW

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 07:41:17 AM »
How about a better battery?
OP has already said that the battery was the original one. How better than this?

KubaN

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »
The recharge performance of both batteries that I'm using is 3 green, so that doesn't matter.

Today I'm going to the same store I bought my 5d3 and will check if the same problem is noticable in other bodies, with a fully charged battery and 49% of power. Will let you know what happens.

DeckardSolo

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 08:57:16 PM »
Just received my brand new 5D3 today from Adorama and this was one of the first things I tested.  Two brand new Canon batteries first time ever charged.  Brand new Sandisk Extreme Pro CF card only.  The first battery at 48% charge was shooting bursts very noticeably slower than the second battery at 92% charge. This would definitely be an issue for sports shooters.

KubaN

« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2012, 12:35:44 PM »
I've recently tested one 5D3 in the same store I bought my body. As I thought, the problem showed up in the same moment as in my camera, so 49%. FPS slowed from 6 to 3 when reached the level. I checked the SN and, I was suprised by the way, there was only one number differing from my SN, in the end, so it was the next body produced after mine. So, because of that I want to test another bodies in the future.

RustyTheGeek

• Buy and Sell
  • 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Images I've Shot...
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »
We need some comic relief!

I think that at some point with regard to all the 5D3 issues, we need a talented comic strip artist to draw some funny caricatures of photographers working with/around all the myriad bugs/"features" in this camera.  Low Light focus issues, no red blinking focus point, 50% battery slowdown, no UHS-1 SD slot = slow global writes to CF and SD, etc.  A little humor might at least make a it little easier to stomach having to deal with these things after spending around $3000 for this thing.

Yes, it's a great camera.  Unfortunately, the word 'except' or 'but' usually follows that statement with some ridiculous faults that I wish Canon would acknowledge and fix.  Aaargh!
Yes, but what would  surapon  say ??  :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2012, 02:12:05 PM »

tron

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 07:15:56 AM »
2 days ago while I was taking test photos with my 5D3 to check AFMA I noticed that the battery was well below 50%. I remembered this thread and switched to continuous high. The sound was like 5 to 6 frames per second. This has been confirmed when I used the info button to check which pictures had been taken the same second. I counted 5 but this is an approximation (there is no tenth's of a second granularity). I repeated the test when the battery indicator was a little more than 10% and the sound seemed the same. So I believe that my camera behaves OK.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2012, 07:15:56 AM »