April 21, 2014, 11:03:13 AM

Author Topic: Canon USA refurbished stock reduced?  (Read 1082 times)

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Canon USA refurbished stock reduced?
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »
Anyone else notice that Canon has completely removed the listings for all the high-end gear on their refurb store?

Usually it just says, "out of stock".

Now all the top cameras, flashes and lenses are gone.

Odd.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

Canon USA refurbished stock reduced?
« on: November 28, 2012, 08:22:34 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon USA refurbished stock reduced?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:58 PM »
During the 20% off sale, the high end stock is gone in a few minutes. Buyers snatch as many as they can afford and later sell them on ebay or craigs list.  Thousands can be sold in nothing flat.  I doubt that the 70-200 2.8 MK II lasted 5 minutes.

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »
During the 20% off sale, the high end stock is gone in a few minutes. Buyers snatch as many as they can afford and later sell them on ebay or craigs list.  Thousands can be sold in nothing flat.  I doubt that the 70-200 2.8 MK II lasted 5 minutes.

Oh I know that, I keep that page open all day during sales :)

But I was saying, the listings are all gone. Normally it just says "sold out". All L's are gone, the 17-55 f2.8, the top flashes, the 5DII...
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

dr croubie

• 1D X
  • Too many photos, too little time.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 11:53:05 PM »
Maybe because of the high-volume of traffic, they've slimmed the website down to run faster with everyone clicking 'refresh' every 5 minutes.
Less data to process and transfer means less bandwidth needed.

(i highly doubt that they're going to stop selling high-end refurbs)
Too much gear, too little space.
Gear Photos

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:35:00 AM »
Canon does this occasionally. The last time was last spring following a similar sale.

It looks like they have now restored most of the pages, although most items remain out of stock.

I suspect they just pull the pages at some point to re-assess what items to continue offering, maybe look at what is in the supply chain and determine if there are items they need to drop. Like many things about the Refurbished Store, it's all kind of mysterious to me.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »
Canon does this occasionally. The last time was last spring following a similar sale.

It looks like they have now restored most of the pages, although most items remain out of stock.

I suspect they just pull the pages at some point to re-assess what items to continue offering, maybe look at what is in the supply chain and determine if there are items they need to drop. Like many things about the Refurbished Store, it's all kind of mysterious to me.
Yes, they seem to do this during sales when most everything is out of stock.  Sometimes, popular products do not come back for weeks.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 02:36:20 PM »