August 01, 2014, 07:16:29 AM

Author Topic: Canon 6D vs 5D MKII (Focusing?)  (Read 22359 times)

Nitoruu

Canon 6D vs 5D MKII (Focusing?)
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:53:34 PM »
Will the focusing system from the 6D be the same as the MKII or better?

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 6D vs 5D MKII (Focusing?)
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:53:34 PM »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
Re: Canon 6D vs 5D MKII (Focusing?)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:14:03 AM »
On paper, 6D might have a better AF in the center point even better than higher-end bodies from Canon.  In reality, it remains to be seen since only pre-production 6D bodies are the only one tested.  Let's wait for the actual release.  I'll be deciding what FF to get then.  5D3 is a little bit expensive for me considering I want to invest in more lenses.

M.ST

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:43:18 AM »
5D Mark III (prototype)
+ better AF system
+ faster
+ shutter durability
+ C1 to C3
+ better body
+ no visible moire
+ AEB with 7 shots
- soft images
- JPG quality
- video quality and video output

6D (prototype)
+ better image quality at higher ISO than the 5D Mark III
+ AEB with 7 shots
= AF point is only better in low light at the paper (looks like a marketing gag)
- 11 AF points compared to 9 plus 6 assist AF points in the 5D Mark II
- visible moire
- soft images
- only SD card slot (in my opinion, I want cf cards)
- body quality
- only C1 to C2
- poor shutter durability compared to the price
- quick control dial

Conclusion: If you want an entry FF camera and don´t need more speed and better AF for tracking subjects get the 6D.

Personal conclusion for both cameras: I don´t like the cameras and I am happy with my gear and two new prototypes.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 02:07:54 AM »
5D Mark III (prototype)
+ better AF system
+ faster
+ shutter durability
+ C1 to C3
+ better body
+ no visible moire
+ AEB with 7 shots
- soft images
- JPG quality

6D (prototype)
+ better image quality at higher ISO than the 5D Mark III
+ AEB with 7 shots
= AF point is only better in low light at the paper (looks like a marketing gag)
- 11 AF points compared to 9 plus 6 assist AF points in the 5D Mark II
- visible moire
- soft images
- only SD card slot (in my opinion, I want cf cards)
- body quality
- only C1 to C2
- poor shutter durability compared to the price
- quick control dial

Conclusion: If you want an entry FF camera and don´t need more speed and better AF for tracking subjects get the 6D.

Personal conclusion for both cameras: I don´t like the cameras and I am happy with my gear and two new prototypes.

I would gladly exchange any of both bodies for your 1DS3.  :)

Nitoruu

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 01:13:08 PM »
Well I asked about the MKII not the MKIII. I have tested and tried out the MKIII and I can use it whenever from a friend. I am considering on buying a MKII or the 6D. I can see the price differences but if the focusing on the 6D is better then there is a chance that I might get the 6D. Latest news is that the are shipping out the 6D soon so I guess I will wait for the DRTV review. If they do not mention focusing on the review I will do more research.

But right now there is no mention on how the focusing will be if the MKII or the 6D will be better. I do wish that they did release another 6D without the GPS and WIFI and have the price drop a bit. Personally I find those useless.

Nitoruu

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 01:39:08 PM »
EG-A II Focusing Screen.

While researching I stumbled upon this focusing screen for the 6D. If applied will the focusing be better? There is no mention or an actual review of what it does. All it states was that it "makes focusing easier." As in manual focusing easier? Because I don't see how that applies to manual focus

dpollitt

• Power Shot G16
  • Amateur Landscape & Portrait Photographer
    • View Profile
    • Pro Perspective Photography
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »
EG-A II Focusing Screen.

While researching I stumbled upon this focusing screen for the 6D. If applied will the focusing be better? There is no mention or an actual review of what it does. All it states was that it "makes focusing easier." As in manual focusing easier? Because I don't see how that applies to manual focus

That is the standard clear focusing screen with no specific prism or assistance lines. It isn't going to make focusing better, it is a necessity to see through the viewfinder more or less. You could purchase additional focusing screens to assist with alignment of the image or using a manual lens. See this for more info on what a focusing screen is: http://photo.stackexchange.com/q/23862/4892
Canon 6D, Canon 40D, 17-40mm L, 24-105mm L, 40mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 135mm L, 1.4x TC, Canon Canonet QL 17

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 01:43:47 PM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 04:04:34 PM »
I expect both are wretched and If its any better than that, good work canon.

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 06:06:27 PM »
I expect both are wretched and If its any better than that, good work canon.

under promise over deliver?  Hopefully?  =)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

R1-7D

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 06:44:56 PM »
I'm sure the 6D will focus just fine. I can't imagine it being worse than the 5D Mark II's, and in my opinion, the Mark II's isn't unusable by any means. 

I use a 5D Mark II, and to be honest, the focusing really isn't as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Sure the Mark III's is leagues away, but that doesn't mean the focusing of the Mark II is unusable. I've used mine to capture quite a few actions shots of animals, in particular dolphins swimming and jumping, and it kept up just fine.

In pitch black I also just use my flash focus assist and the camera locks on in a second.

I always manage to get the shots I want somehow on my "antiquated" system.

Cameras: 1DX, Canon M. Lenses: Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS II,  Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro, Canon EF 2X III, Tokina SD 16-28mm f/2.8 FX, Canon M 18-55mm IS, Canon M 22mm. Flashes MT-24 580EXII

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 10:59:52 AM »
I had it in my hands today at an exhibition today in an city in the Alps.
My personal opinion:
-AF works well, gets sharp even when there is not much light. But it had also troubles when there is not much contrast. (Only the center AF got it. It was focussing 2 times near and far, then it got it correctly, as I could see). The live view was not the hit, slow... And the AF is not very fast. I tried the 5D3 next to it. it was much faster.
And: The AF fields are more horicontally orientated. So, if you try to focus on something that is higher than the middle of the picture, in landscape  orientation it is difficult to get it focused.

Got some shots. For me the camera was not exiting. (But it is my personal view)

But the most persons were interested in Nikon. Where Nikon presented the D600 und D800 everybody was interrested. And the D600 is really a good camera. Subjective as fast as the 5D3, very good image quality. The 5D3 shots were to much saturated, the D600 more naturally. And it was very fast in focussing and saving the pictures to the cards.

It is a pity that the 6D is more than 500€ more expensive than the D600. I would like the D600 if there would be an "Canon" sign on it
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 11:03:53 AM by xps »

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 11:22:12 AM »
My personal opinion:
-AF works well, gets sharp even when there is not much light. But it had also troubles when there is not much contrast. (Only the center AF got it. It was focussing 2 times near and far, then it got it correctly, as I could see). The live view was not the hit, slow... And the AF is not very fast. I tried the 5D3 next to it. it was much faster.
And: The AF fields are more horicontally orientated. So, if you try to focus on something that is higher than the middle of the picture, in landscape  orientation it is difficult to get it focused.

But the most persons were interested in Nikon. Where Nikon presented the D600 und D800 everybody was interrested. And the D600 is really a good camera. Subjective as fast as the 5D3, very good image quality. The 5D3 shots were to much saturated, the D600 more naturally. And it was very fast in focussing and saving the pictures to the cards.

It is a pity that the 6D is more than 500€ more expensive than the D600. I would like the D600 if there would be an "Canon" sign on it

6D is a lot cheaper here in Malaysia than Nikon D600.  You can see here:
http://shashinki.com/

Stocks were gone on the first day.  :(

Nitoruu

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »
My personal opinion:

Thanks for this.

So can you be saying that the 6D and the 5DMKII are the same in focusing?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 01:33:39 PM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:38 PM »
And the AF is not very fast. I tried the 5D3 next to it. it was much faster.

Oh my, there goes the neighborhood :-( ... if that's true then it's really a letdown, I had hoped at least with center point af it would be as fast as the 5d3 since they're both using the same digic5.

What you describe is really just an updated 5d2 with newer (i.e. cheaper for Canon) parts, newer firmware plus a $5 integrated wifi/gps chip.

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »
As I wrote, that is my personal opinion. I took some shots. Not hundreds, just some.
I focused on high contrasted things, like an advertisement of nikon ( :-) ) and on other, more low contrasting things. In my opinion the AF of the 5D3 was as fast as the 6Ds. (subjectively!). And it had its problem like the 5D3s on focussiong on an plane, lowcontrasted thing. Even in changing the AF field manually ( that the seller did not like, when i performed this)
 And, for me, the AF-points are too much horizontally orientated.

The Nikonians there told me, that the 6D is just "a shot out of the hip to react on their overwhelming camera"
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 11:07:53 AM by xps »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2012, 11:05:21 AM »