December 20, 2014, 05:02:03 AM

Author Topic: Canon 6D vs 5D MKII (Focusing?)  (Read 24544 times)

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 6D vs 5D MKII (Focusing?)
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »
Anything is better than 5D mark I and II outer points.... seriously. If the 6D can focus outer points accurately in decent lighting for portraits (like wide open portraits 2.8 and faster) then I'd be more than happy to pick one up as well.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 01:48:34 AM »

M.ST

« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 05:29:14 AM »
Re to: In terms of AF accuracy, the 6D is closer to the 5DII than the 1DX/5DIII.

I am not impressed from the 6D AF-system and can confirm the test.

It´s only a little bit better then the 5D Mark II AF-system.

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 08:06:16 AM »
Re to: In terms of AF accuracy, the 6D is closer to the 5DII than the 1DX/5DIII.

There's always a 5D Mark III or 1DX for you.  5D3 is getting cheaper now.  I guess Canon can't please everybody.  For me, 6D AF is enough as I'm not into sports or anything fast.  The overall better center point is more than enough for my needs.   All I'm after is IQ which if we rely on some feedback, is already better than 5D3.  (I want to prove it myself though.)  You can also wait for 7D2 with its better AF.  If you're still not satisfied, then I suggest you look into other systems such as Nikon or Sony  If you're invested in lenses, I think you'll lose something if you go from one system to another but that's the harsh reality.   But don't worry, I know Canon lenses holds their value well.  As photographers, let's not limit ourselves with the tools you use.  Let creativity be the only thing that limits us but again, that can also be learned as long as you're willing to work.  :)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 11:54:53 AM »
I now own all three cameras, the 5DIII, 5Dii, and 6D.

The 6D's optical focusing system is significantly better than the 5Dii's, but it the 5DIII is ridiculously good. Even the outer points did very, very well in my first tests. Will try to do some low light testing on the 6D tomorrow.

5DIII > 6D > 5Dii

Let me know if you guys have anything specific you want me to test out!

MM

Hey michael, watched you video on the wifi app.  I like it, and yeah, that would be a game changer for many things (On that front, I tinker about for fun with night time long exposures, does the app work with bulb mode?)

On a working level though, I shoot weddings and portraits and am seriously considering this as a secondary body (I'd probably use it for mostly wide angle work, using either my 16-35 or 24-70 on it, and leave the long end to the mk3).  My worries about IQ seem to be satisfied, but the AF system  Still waiting to hear more, some kind of word on how the outer points work in lower light.  My potential secondary bodies were - 5d2, 1dmk4, 5d3, or 6d.  The high ISO capabilities of the 6d (at least what i have seen and read so far) takes the 5d2 off the list.  1d4, great camera, but i don't really need the fps (it is a nice idea, but if i drop 3k+ my money is probably better spent on a second mk3.  So that leaves mk3 and 6d.  So, anything you or anyone else might be able to say on the AF system would rock, as it's really the only factor I see at this point that may stop me from snagging one.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 02:19:04 PM »

Personally, I found the 5D2 center point AF accurate enough for my needs. The issues with it were (1) it wasn't very fast and (2) it didn't work so well in low light.

My understanding is the 6D center point fixes these two issues.

Still nothing to get very excited about, but it would at least make it adequate for my purposes.

And if this is not the case, I guarantee mine will get boxed right back up and shipped back where it came from when it shows up Friday.  :)
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

MichaelTheMaven

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Michael The Maven
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 04:16:58 PM »
@ Chuck- I am doing some low light focusing testing today and will verify what you are asking. My gut impression is that the 6D seems to be better geared between the higher ISOs (which are also a little "soft") and low light focusing, which as you know will be fantastic for shooting receptions and low light events. Ill post the info as soon as my tests are done, should be later today or tomorrow.

If anyone else wants any comparisons done let me know, I have a 5Dii, 5Diii, & Nikon D600.

M

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »
My gut impression is that the 6D seems to be better geared between the higher ISOs (which are also a little "soft")

I guess we'll have good af reviews shortly from the usual suspects (dpreview announced a 6d-d600 shootout).

But one thing missed in the "pro" reviews until now is that the higher iso capability of the 6d may be partly due to in-camera chroma nr even in the raw files, resulting in the softer images. The samples I saw are not conclusive, but if you happen to shoot any fine patterns it would be interesting what you think about it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 04:51:31 PM »

PhotoCat

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 06:24:55 PM »
@ Chuck- I am doing some low light focusing testing today and will verify what you are asking. My gut impression is that the 6D seems to be better geared between the higher ISOs (which are also a little "soft") and low light focusing, which as you know will be fantastic for shooting receptions and low light events. Ill post the info as soon as my tests are done, should be later today or tomorrow.

If anyone else wants any comparisons done let me know, I have a 5Dii, 5Diii, & Nikon D600.

M

Hi Michael, thanks for the effort!

It would be interesting to compare AI-Servo accuracy with the centre AF point between all 3 cameras.

Also repeating the AI-Servo test with the top-most AF point in portrait orientation would be very interesting.

I guess the test condition would be similar to shooting a wedding processional in a church :)

Thanks!

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 07:23:42 PM »

M

TY!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 10:20:10 AM »
My 6D shows tomorrow and I'll do some testing and post. One thing I will test for that I haven't seen elsewhere is the "in focus range size".

Here's what I mean... When testing my 50D and 5D2 I found an interesting phenomenon when trying to dial in the AFMA for an autofocus confirm chip on my manual focus Rokinon aka Samyang 35mm (nice lens BTW). It mattered whether I was focusing from infinity to closer in, or from close in to further out when shooting a test target at a fixed distance.

My first thought was "well, we just discovered the 'cheap' part of this lens" and the first thought was there is play in the internal workings of the lens. But upon digging in a bit more, I discovered this phenomenon was very pronounced on the 50D and much less so on the 5D2.

So then I start thinking it has something to do with the body rather than the lens. So I test the 100L and get essentially the same results manually focusing it while using AF confirm. The conclusion being it is in fact an issue with the bodies and not the lenses.

While using manual focus plus AF confirm with either lens, I was able to determine the 50D had a fairly significant range of focus in which it would confirm with a beep and a red indicator. Meaning if I slowly focused from infinity 'inward', it would confirm (after best effort AFMA adjustment) while about 4 'AFMA clicks' back focused. And if I slowly focused from min to 'outward' it would confirm about 3 'AFMA clicks' front focused. And this was true with either the Rokinon or the 100L on the 50D.

So same test on the 5D2 and the "range of in focus" was probably 1/4 that of the 50D (a good thing). Which explained alot of unpleasant things I experienced shooting the 50D at very shallow DOF (hit, miss, hit, miss)...

So anyway, I'll do the same test on 6D and post results.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 10:22:41 AM by skitron »

dlleno

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 11:21:57 AM »
interesting observation skitron .   whether its related or not, Roger over at lensrentals  has done extensive testing on the AF accuracy ,and measures this via standard deviation of AF accuracy.  His work showed that that auto focus of the 5d2 and 50d to be in the same ballpark. this makes me wonder of the AF "confirmation" behavior is different..

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/08/01/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

phase detection AF accuracy of the 6D was measured as being similar to the 5D2

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/11/30/autofocus-reality-revisited-how-does-the-Canon-eos-6d-measure-up

just FYI this is just interesting stuff :D

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »
interesting observation skitron .   whether its related or not, Roger over at lensrentals  has done extensive testing on the AF accuracy ,and measures this via standard deviation of AF accuracy.  His work showed that that auto focus of the 5d2 and 50d to be in the same ballpark. this makes me wonder of the AF "confirmation" behavior is different..

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/08/01/autofocus-reality-part-3b-canon-cameras

phase detection AF accuracy of the 6D was measured as being similar to the 5D2

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2012/11/30/autofocus-reality-revisited-how-does-the-Canon-eos-6d-measure-up

just FYI this is just interesting stuff :D

I saw Roger's stuff. The one thing I don't know about his test is whether he was always focusing "a single direction" or "both directions".

I was pretty surprised by the 50D performance since it had a band equvalent to about 7 AFMA clicks that it would confirm in. You could literally see it go OOF in the view finder (f1.4 so very shallow DOF) while very slowly turning the manual focus and it just kept on confirming, LOL. Who knows, maybe a bad body? I'll definitely check the 6D tomorrow for it, I doubt it will be like that, but it will be checked non the less.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 04:35:37 PM »