Gear Talk > Canon General

Is canon going to come back?

(1/25) > >>

leolol:
So i´m in the market for a full frame camera right now. I only have FF lenses for EF mount, so switching would at least mean the loss of a lens or two (money reasons).
Right now canon is far behind others. Or lets just say it: Nikon.

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc. It´s just a really good body and much more in the price range of a 6d.

I want to stick with canon but if they are going to make their first competitive body in like 5 years i really have to consider switching....

neuroanatomist:

--- Quote from: leolol on November 29, 2012, 09:11:05 AM ---Is canon going to come back?

--- End quote ---

Come back from where?  ::) They are the market leader, everyone else is playing catch up.

--- Quote from: leolol on November 29, 2012, 09:11:05 AM ---Right now canon is far behind others. Or lets just say it: Nikon.

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for your opinion.  It's not universally shared.  Some folks love their D800.  Some have bought one, and returned/sold it for a 5DIII.  The 5DIII's AF is better (many more cross-type points, f/2.8 crosses, better overall performance), frame rate is better, shutter lag is shorter (half the lag), high ISO performance is better.

If I was a landscape/architecture shooter, the D800 would be a better choice.  IMO, while the D800 has an excellent sensor, the 5DIII is the better overall camera for general purpose use.

PackLight:
I think you should go ahead and switch now as your comments are obviously clueless and trolling.

leolol:
it sure is the better general use camera but: i am doing stock, portrait, landscape stuff and the occasional low light event. And most of those are parts where the d800 shines and honestly destroys the 5d3. and it´s nearly the same price as a 6D.

and they even have the d600, which is cheaper and better then 5d2 and 6d and on the level with the 5d3 (besides the build quality). But obviously this one is out until they fix the sensor dust thing.

Yeah they are the market leader but look at their products: A 5d3 which is no real IQ improvment over the 5d2 - ok af, a bit high iso and video. 6D - a camera nobody knows who it is for... not rugged enough for landscape, no pc sync for studio, too much MP for awesome high iso. And now look at the other guys: d800 - can be the cheap medium format for everybody. d600 - take of 1000€ from the 5d3 and you have it. a99 - just wow for the video crowd.

@PackLight
Why should i be trolling? i am not trolling i just see what my beloved canon brand is doing and i´m thinking about it, yes.

PackLight:

--- Quote from: leolol on November 29, 2012, 09:33:33 AM ---@PackLight
Why should i be trolling? i am not trolling i just see what my beloved canon brand is doing and i´m thinking about it, yes.

--- End quote ---

You made an abolute statement that Canon is somehow behind, which on the surface apears to be a post to illicit a response from those Canon users that are dedicated to their equipment.

From Wikipedia;
"In Internet slang, a troll ( /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response"

It may be your opinion that  you expressed about Canon trailing, while Nikon sensors do have a higher pixel count on some of their sensors but in other areas that are just as important they trail. For instace AF and Lens Quality. If you are buying in to the Nikon system based only on its sensor's ability you are not shorting yourself. I have considered Nikon because I want the best of the best and I am always comparing, however mainly because of the lens selection they have I would be switching to a product that overall would give poorer results for the type of shooting I do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version