December 20, 2014, 11:12:22 AM

Author Topic: Is canon going to come back?  (Read 23701 times)

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Is canon going to come back?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »
My real question was if canon is going to be better when they come out with 18nm or if they will just be on pair with Nikon.

One sentence and a good question. The answer: no one knows. I doubt Nikon is resting on their laurels. But i would be surprised if canon isnt able to at least address some of your concerns in the not too distant future. Whether they do that at a price point you agree with is maybe another important issue. Advances come and go and every few years one will pass the other, you just have to deal with the ebb and flow...or have enough cash on hand to own both...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 12:54:54 PM »

leolol

« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 12:57:09 PM »
You´re right. I am shure that Canon is going to come back but when and how will they make it worth the wait. And because canon isnt nice to us i´m considering switching.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 01:00:44 PM »
And because canon isnt nice to us i´m considering switching.

Is Nikon nicer?   ::)  Ever needed a Nikon body or lens serviced?  Hope you have a LOT of patience for their 'niceness'...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PackLight

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 01:02:23 PM »
Lenses: Sure, Canon has the edge here. That´s why i chose them 4 years ago. But now, 4 years later, i came to realize that i will never really need those lenses and that Nikon has some really good glass to offer (for example the 24-70). And you can use their old glass on their new bodys too.

What makes  you think the Nikon sensor will be any better for you?

If  you do not need the better lenses now with the camera equipment you have, you will not utilze the D800's potential, because that is the type of glass you will need to take advantage of the high MP sensor. If you are not striving to own the fine quality Ziess 21mm or 35m f/1.4 or other lenses of comparable quality and resolution, there is no need to want a D800 because you are waisting all that additional resolution.

Edit; a crappy lens on camera capable of high resolution, will give you highly defined crap.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2012, 01:04:20 PM by PackLight »

leolol

« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 01:29:01 PM »
I never had problems with canon service, i am talking about their whole product line (6d).

Obviously good glass is key. I meant that i dont need the MP-E, Tilt-Shift or any of those lenses.

PackLight

« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 01:42:14 PM »
I never had problems with canon service, i am talking about their whole product line (6d).

Obviously good glass is key. I meant that i dont need the MP-E, Tilt-Shift or any of those lenses.

Yes it is. But you will need lenses that are L class prime quality for it to matter. That is why not long ago Zeiss anounced a new series of lenses aimed at the high MP sensors. This is probably an idication that the rumors will be true and a high MP camera from Canon is in the works.

leolol

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »
It sure is in the works but it´s gonna be pricey, as always lately.
And glas is key but it is a bit overrated. We all know that we need good glass but many more lenses then you think are performing well on high MP bodys.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 02:07:04 PM »

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 02:17:18 PM »
And glas is key but it is a bit overrated.

just curious, what type of shooting do you do, predominantly?  I've put good consumer lenses on my 5D Mark II and L-glass on my wife's T2i, and the images that come from the (vastly inferior) crop sensor look tons better than those coming from the full-frame.  just because of the glass.  what's overrated about it?  the superior contrast, the better color, the improved AF response, the softer, smoother bokeh?  if you have legitimately shot with both L and non-L glass and have come to the conclusion that glass quality is irrelevant, then like Neuro above I'm fairly surprised you are discussing sensor image quality issues.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ... on superhero vacation!
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 02:18:49 PM »
Ever needed a Nikon body or lens serviced?  Hope you have a LOT of patience for their 'niceness'...

I never tried Nikon, but I have tried Canon non-CPS (which is what European with only one camera body get, no matter how much L glass and flashes). Repair time for a Canon lens in Berlin is ~10-14 days... it should be noted that Tamron/Sigma lenses get repaired faster...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 02:29:53 PM »
And glas is key but it is a bit overrated.

Sorry, but you really can't overrate the importance of a good lens...   ;)

We all know that we need good glass but many more lenses then you think are performing well on high MP bodys.

Sure...and really bad lenses can take good pictures, so can iPhones.  The point is that you're claiming a significant advantage of the high MP D800, but without a lens capable of delivering an appropriately matched resolution, you're leaving most (not all) of that advantage on the table. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

leolol

« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
I have shot with L glass but never bought any lenses because my third party 2.8´s deliver good results. Shooting a 17-35 (performs well on a 5d3, tried it), 28-75 and a sigma 70-200 (good copy).

I´m also in europe and our canon service is slow, even more slow as i am in austria and many lenses and bodyie have to get sent to germany.

Yeah, weakest link in the chain etc. i know that. I didnt mean that good glass is overrated in general but with every new body everybody says you need the best glass. Thats true! But also the best glass from some time ago is still good enough.

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 02:36:24 PM »
Right now canon is far behind others. Or lets just say it: Nikon.

If you really believe this there is no way we can help u here...
In normal use it doesnt matter a brick what camera brand you use...
And if ur really professional u will use ANY cam  depending on the situation...

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »
But also the best glass from some time ago is still good enough.

we're just trying to understand why you're nitpicking the difference between the D800 and 5DIII sensor (which even the Nikon-favoring reviews agree is a very small difference, if any), when there is a much bigger image quality degradation imposed on whichever sensor by the lenses you're choosing to shoot.

it's like debating which motorcycle jacket is better protection, and then refusing to wear a helmet.  what's the point?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 02:39:33 PM »

PackLight

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 02:42:16 PM »
I have shot with L glass but never bought any lenses because my third party 2.8´s deliver good results. Shooting a 17-35 (performs well on a 5d3, tried it), 28-75 and a sigma 70-200 (good copy).

I´m also in europe and our canon service is slow, even more slow as i am in austria and many lenses and bodyie have to get sent to germany.

Yeah, weakest link in the chain etc. i know that. I didnt mean that good glass is overrated in general but with every new body everybody says you need the best glass. Thats true! But also the best glass from some time ago is still good enough.

Im sorry and don't mean to sound condescending but, if you are making the selection to go to FF and debating 5D III vs the D800 with the experience and opinion of glass you expressed then IMO the D800 is not even a contender. To take advantage of the denser pixel count you should be talking tripod style of shooting and the highest resolving lenses you can get. You can talk DR and ISO performance and compare those but I think you lost the majority of the D800's argument.

leolol

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »
I can understand that you guys dont get my view on lenses. If i go the nikon way i´ll get the 20-35, 35-70 or 28-70 and the 70-200ed (the first "normal" non pull push) which all are lenses that arent the best but also far from worst.

Maybe i didnt express right in this point. I love good glass but i just think you always need the newest and very best.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2012, 02:52:17 PM »