August 22, 2014, 09:38:48 PM

Author Topic: Is canon going to come back?  (Read 21055 times)

leolol

Is canon going to come back?
« on: November 29, 2012, 09:11:05 AM »
So i´m in the market for a full frame camera right now. I only have FF lenses for EF mount, so switching would at least mean the loss of a lens or two (money reasons).
Right now canon is far behind others. Or lets just say it: Nikon.

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc. It´s just a really good body and much more in the price range of a 6d.

I want to stick with canon but if they are going to make their first competitive body in like 5 years i really have to consider switching....

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: Is canon going to come back?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 09:26:24 AM »
Is canon going to come back?

Come back from where?  ::) They are the market leader, everyone else is playing catch up.

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc.

Thanks for your opinion.  It's not universally shared.  Some folks love their D800.  Some have bought one, and returned/sold it for a 5DIII.  The 5DIII's AF is better (many more cross-type points, f/2.8 crosses, better overall performance), frame rate is better, shutter lag is shorter (half the lag), high ISO performance is better.

If I was a landscape/architecture shooter, the D800 would be a better choice.  IMO, while the D800 has an excellent sensor, the 5DIII is the better overall camera for general purpose use.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

PackLight

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 09:27:21 AM »
I think you should go ahead and switch now as your comments are obviously clueless and trolling.

leolol

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 09:33:33 AM »
it sure is the better general use camera but: i am doing stock, portrait, landscape stuff and the occasional low light event. And most of those are parts where the d800 shines and honestly destroys the 5d3. and it´s nearly the same price as a 6D.

and they even have the d600, which is cheaper and better then 5d2 and 6d and on the level with the 5d3 (besides the build quality). But obviously this one is out until they fix the sensor dust thing.

Yeah they are the market leader but look at their products: A 5d3 which is no real IQ improvment over the 5d2 - ok af, a bit high iso and video. 6D - a camera nobody knows who it is for... not rugged enough for landscape, no pc sync for studio, too much MP for awesome high iso. And now look at the other guys: d800 - can be the cheap medium format for everybody. d600 - take of 1000€ from the 5d3 and you have it. a99 - just wow for the video crowd.

@PackLight
Why should i be trolling? i am not trolling i just see what my beloved canon brand is doing and i´m thinking about it, yes.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:35:04 AM by leolol »

PackLight

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 09:44:49 AM »
@PackLight
Why should i be trolling? i am not trolling i just see what my beloved canon brand is doing and i´m thinking about it, yes.

You made an abolute statement that Canon is somehow behind, which on the surface apears to be a post to illicit a response from those Canon users that are dedicated to their equipment.

From Wikipedia;
"In Internet slang, a troll ( /ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is someone who posts inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as a forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking readers into an emotional response"

It may be your opinion that  you expressed about Canon trailing, while Nikon sensors do have a higher pixel count on some of their sensors but in other areas that are just as important they trail. For instace AF and Lens Quality. If you are buying in to the Nikon system based only on its sensor's ability you are not shorting yourself. I have considered Nikon because I want the best of the best and I am always comparing, however mainly because of the lens selection they have I would be switching to a product that overall would give poorer results for the type of shooting I do.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:49:18 AM by PackLight »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 09:48:39 AM »
Yeah they are the market leader but look at their products

Which is more important to overall IQ - the body or the lens?  Remember that we're talking about systems here, not just camera bodies.  Across the lineup, I think Canon has better lens offerings (with some exceptions, like the Nikon 14-24/2.8, and a 200-400/4 that actually exists).  The 24-105/4L, 400/5.6L, 100-400L, TS-E 17, MP-E 65, 28-300L are excellent lenses for which either no Nikon counterpart exists or the Nikon counterpart offers significantly worse IQ.  The Canon 200-400 will come, and for landscape shooters, the Nikon 14-24 does great on a Canon body with the Novoflex adapter, and that's a situation where AF is generally not needed, while the unique Canon lenses cannot be mounted on a Nikon body at all.

You made an abolute statement that Canon is somehow behind, which on the surface apears to be a post to illicit a response from those Canon users that are dedicated to their equipment.

This is true - the thread title is clearly trollish in nature.  Anyone with a few posts on CR who's been here for a couple of months should not be naïve enough to think a topic like this won't draw in other trolls like moths to a flame.  Expect a thread lock or deletion when this thread descends to flames, which is probably inevitable.  If one is legitimately asking for opinions on moving to Nikon, fine, there are better ways to do that than trolling. 

@leolol - This isn't the "I'm thinking of switching to the Yellow side" equivalent of a suicide hotline.  If you think the D800 is better, rent one to see if that's true, or just sell your Canon gear, take the loss and buy a D800.  Who knows, maybe the grass is greener.  For sure, it will require a lot more water and fertilizer (aka data storage capacity and CPU power).  Just do it.  Or not.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 09:54:21 AM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 09:55:51 AM »
...don't let the door hit you on the way out...

Dylan777

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • http://dylannguyen.smugmug.com/browse
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 10:11:13 AM »
So i´m in the market for a full frame camera right now. I only have FF lenses for EF mount, so switching would at least mean the loss of a lens or two (money reasons).

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc. It´s just a really good body and much more in the price range of a 6d.

I want to stick with canon but if they are going to make their first competitive body in like 5 years i really have to consider switching....

-1..........How? Have you ever hand on 5D III and/or D800?

Pick a camera that fit your shooting and move on
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 10:28:02 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 10:25:21 AM »
The ergonomics and menu system of the D800 are enough for me to stay away.
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 10:52:04 AM »

Wait until they get the 18 micrometer thingie going... The 7D mk II is going to be extremely awesome...
What is truth?

crasher8

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 11:01:59 AM »
Ask the same questions on  Nikon forum and get back to us. Thy at least won't pull the Troll card, they'll sing praises and welcome you into their fold. You have one thing going for you, EF lenses hold their value. If you go to Nikon and then switch back I'm not quite sure you'll have the same luck.

Jay Khaos

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 11:05:40 AM »
The 5DIII is hardly comparable to the D600... other than the fact that they both have full frame sensors.  If you do stock photos and regularly sell XXXL sized copies or print wall-sized murals that will be viewed up close, maybe a D800 makes sense over the 5DIII, but highly doubt that's the case.  Considering you already own EF lenses, and the 5DIII is NOT that much mroe expensive than the D800 anymore, I think it would be stupid to take such a loss to gain in megapixels...

I'm not a Canon fanboy by any means, I just happen to prefer the Canon over comparable Nikon more often than not.  Claiming that Canon is behind anyone, much less "far" behind is a ridiculous statement.  And to say that their products aren't up to par with Nikon's is even stupider.  There is not a single lens that Nikon makes that tempts me to switch--Canon has a rival to match or beat everything they offer.  Am I wrong?
5DIII | 85mm f1.2L • 70-200mm f2.8L IS II • 50mm f1.8 II

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 11:09:08 AM »

Canon's sensor tech is behind sony/nikon but its not as bad as some make it to be.

What really set's canon apart is the EF lens selection. Its simply the best, excluding the ultra-wide department. The d800 is a great camera but, overall the 5D3 is a better package.

PackLight

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 11:18:38 AM »
Canon has a rival to match or beat everything they offer.  Am I wrong?

Yes, Nikon does have a few specialty lens that have no Canon match yet.
There are a few nice Nikor lenses, there might even been one or two that have Canon matches that are close.
But when comparing the set of lenses as a whole offered by Nikon and Canon, Canon is well ahead.

unfocused

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 11:25:09 AM »
...i am doing stock, portrait, landscape stuff and the occasional low light event. And most of those are parts where the d800 shines and honestly destroys the 5d3....

I don't think I've ever heard anyone claim the D800 "destroys" the 5DIII in low light. In fact, just the opposite. Every credible review I have read and every comparison of images I've seen shows very clearly that the 5DIII way outperforms the D800 in low light/high ISO.

In fact, the choice between the D800 and the 5DIII is generally characterized as one of resolution vs. high ISO performance. If you absolutely must have the high resolution, go with the D800. If you absolutely have to have high ISO performance, go with the 5DIII. For everyone else it's a coin flip.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com