August 29, 2014, 02:24:16 PM

Author Topic: Is canon going to come back?  (Read 21127 times)

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
  • IR and Long Exposure junkie
    • View Profile
Re: Is canon going to come back?
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
For you!
For Many.

+100... And for so many Canonistas who can afford to buy a 5DIII body.  ;)
My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 30, 2012, 07:52:53 PM »
So i´m in the market for a full frame camera right now. I only have FF lenses for EF mount, so switching would at least mean the loss of a lens or two (money reasons).
Right now canon is far behind others. Or lets just say it: Nikon.
I want to stick with canon but if they are going to make their first competitive body in like 5 years i really have to consider switching....

Yawn...troll. Please go ahead and get your Nikon. Take your misinformed negativity elsewhere.

-PW

+1... Go ahead  and jump over to Nikon. And good luck with the after sales services down there.... Here's a link to prove myself: http://www.stuckincustoms.com/2012/10/31/bad-experience-with-nikon-professional-services/
My Flickr
5D3 ı 7D ı 50D(IR) ı 20D(IR) ı TS-E24 f/3.5L II ı 17-40 f/4L ı 24-70 f/2.8L II ı 70-200 f/4L IS ı 100 f/2.8L  Macro IS ı 40 f/2.8 ı 50 f/1.4 ı 85 f/1.8 ı 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 ı Lensbaby Composer Pro ı Rokinon 8mm ı 600EX-RT/ST-E3-RT

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 30, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
For you!
well, "for you" it's only a better camera at low iso and controlled lighting conditions like studio and landscape. If I were you I'd just buy the bloody camera already and stop whining. Or perhaps you should apply for R&D at Nikon because it seems like you're more worried about tech than actual photography.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

shutterwideshut

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 30, 2012, 08:44:48 PM »
For you!
well, "for you" it's only a better camera at low iso and controlled lighting conditions like studio and landscape. If I were you I'd just buy the bloody camera already and stop whining. Or perhaps you should apply for R&D at Nikon because it seems like you're more worried about tech than actual photography.

;D ;D ;D
My Flickr

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #79 on: December 01, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »
Fair enough, and that's a really good goal.  But...I can think of a dozen or more better ways to determine that, and no ways worse than posting this topic that you posted on this forum.

Still fun to read it :-> ... but indeed given the large differences in requirements and esp. the amount of people who exhausted their budget to buy a $3500 camera body and those who cannot/don't want to afford it at all it's very tricky to get a unbiased view (if there is such a thing).

Better ask "I want to shoot xyz, already have got xyz gear, have xyz $$$ for lenses+body now and would be ok to invest xyz $$$ more later on".

johnf3f

• Canon 70D
  • Canon 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 01, 2012, 09:43:08 PM »
The D800 offers the highest resolution currently available in 35mm format, but do you need it? I certainly don't!
There is another issue - reliability. Have a look on Twitter at Andy Rouse's posts. He has a tump of Nikon gear so why is he moving back to Canon? Well it's simple his D4 and D800 don't always work - not a good situation for one of the worlds top wildlife photographers! I was at a talk given by him on Friday and he was very cagey about his shift back to the bright side but he couldn't praise the 1DX highly enough (pity about his D4/D800 sitting at home).
The bottom line is that he has 2 of Nikon's top cameras that have problems that Nikon cannot fix - if the OP wants to go there then be my guest!
Now if he were advocating a D7000 that would be a different story, in it's class it is a cracker!

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »
So i´m in the market for a full frame camera right now. I only have FF lenses for EF mount, so switching would at least mean the loss of a lens or two (money reasons).

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc. It´s just a really good body and much more in the price range of a 6d.

I want to stick with canon but if they are going to make their first competitive body in like 5 years i really have to consider switching....
Since you have no clue whatsoever about 5D MK III capabilities, do us all a favor and swith to Nikon ... that way the good folks at Nikon Rumors will have to deal with your complaints. ;D
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: December 01, 2012, 10:59:47 PM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #82 on: December 02, 2012, 05:26:16 AM »

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc. It´s just a really good body and much more in the price range of a 6d.

Since you have no clue whatsoever about 5D MK III capabilities, do us all a favor and swith to Nikon ... that way the good folks at Nikon Rumors will have to deal with your complaints. ;D
Best response so far  ;D . But I do have to say that many of the guys there are very nice people. I have asked a couple of questions around lenses and stuff to help friends and have gotten a lot of really friendly and informative replies.  I wish those guys well.

leolol

« Reply #83 on: December 02, 2012, 07:29:11 AM »

what a nice comment. i know about its capabilities but it´s not the camera for me, especially at over 600€ more than the d800, which is much more a camera for me.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 02, 2012, 09:56:45 AM »
I'm not sure why everyones getting so heated about this. Nikon has a lead on Canon at the moment and its likely to remain that way unless Canon spend more cash on R & D.

Unlike the negative comment about Nikon service, I used Nikons for years and they were always OK with me.

I believe Canon have to come back or suffer financially. It will not be quick, maybe a couple of years, but I have high hopes for the 1Ds replacement when it eventually arrives. We need a high MP camera with waaay less noise than Canon can offer right now but if Nikon can do it, then so can Canon.

We should thank our lucky stars that we have these two big players fighting for our custom.

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #85 on: December 02, 2012, 10:14:36 AM »
There are a number of factors to consider when buying a camera (or lens for that matter) and it is the answers to all the points that ultimately decides. Each person will have different considerations, even if their subject matter overlaps.

1. What do I like to shoot?
   a) Do I need a fast frame rate?
   b) Do I need fast or accurate AF?
   c) Is DR more important than anything else?
   d) Do I need to shoot in low light at high ISO?
   e) Can I control the lighting?
2. How large do I want to print?
3. What range of lenses will I need?
4. Is the exta cost (i.e. camera or other accessories, including computer hardware) worth it?
   a) Will it give me improved image quality?
   b) Will it give me a competitive edge?
5. Will something that is cheaper do just as good a job?

I shoot a combination of wildlife and landscapes mostly, often in low light. For me, the most important features were good AF speed and reliability, good image quality and good high ISO capabilities. The silent shutter has come in very useful already and dynamic range would be nice, but not a high consideration and certainly not at the expense of something else. In fact the IQ is improved so much over the 7D (despite the lack of reach) and the AF is such a big improvement over the 5D MkII and even the 7D, that the 7D has been relegated to a back up body, instead of the main wildlife body. For lansdscapes, I use filters, which mostly give much better results than an extra stop or two of DR for my style and I can print up to A1 without any problems (at east in theory, I can't actually print that large), so the extra resolution would be overkill. In fact, there are very few lenses that will get the best out of the D800 sensor, even the 14-24 seemed to struggle going by Nikon's sample images, athough sample images aren't always the best examples of what a camera or lens is capable of. You are probably looking at recent, expensive pro-grade lenses to have a hope of getting the best out of the sensor and even then, if you aren't printing very large or pixel peeping, I doubt you'll notice the difference.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 02, 2012, 10:54:27 AM »
I believe Canon have to come back or suffer financially.

Again, I ask - come back from where?  They're ahead!  They sell more cameras and lenses than Nikon.  Nikon has had 'better sensors' (as far as DxO scores, anyway) for years - years during which Canon gained market share while Nikon lost it.  Having 'worse' sensors certainly hasn't made Canon suffer so far...
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

leolol

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »
Thanks for those two very helpfull comments, and i totally agree with both of you.

@meuroanatomist
They´re ahead because they sold so many 5d2 and now they give those users everything they wanted in the first place with the 5d3. They are forced to upgrade, even tough the camera doesnt provide anything fantastic or revolutionary and is pretty pricey (when you look at the competition).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #87 on: December 02, 2012, 11:23:19 AM »

PackLight

« Reply #88 on: December 02, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
Thanks for those two very helpfull comments, and i totally agree with both of you.

@meuroanatomist
They´re ahead because they sold so many 5d2 and now they give those users everything they wanted in the first place with the 5d3. They are forced to upgrade, even tough the camera doesnt provide anything fantastic or revolutionary and is pretty pricey (when you look at the competition).

Nikon bodies fell behind when the 5D II was released. They didn't make any real progress to be in any kind of lead till the D800. They have played leapfrog with bodies for years. With the rumored 46 mp Canon in the wild, who will be behind in bodies when it is released.

Lets not forget, Nikon has always been behind with glass.

I stand by the first comment I made in the thread.

leolol

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »
We all know that Canon is still on the 50nm process so i´m sure they will come back. It´s much more about the when, at which price. And I am not shure if i want to support a company that makes products which arent really new, and just lay on there 5d2 glory.

Nikon has been behind in glass. Ok that´s fine with me, i dont need the MP-E etc.

46mp body for i say ~8k if i look at their picing right now. Thats ok, but not for me. And even if it would be cheaper, that doesnt mean that it will be on par. And if the 14-24 struggles with the d800 then imagen the 16-35 with a rumored 46MP Body. lol

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: December 02, 2012, 11:42:51 AM »