September 21, 2014, 10:23:02 AM

Author Topic: Is canon going to come back?  (Read 21547 times)

leolol

Re: Is canon going to come back?
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »
So what do they make better outside the af department?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
And if the 14-24 struggles with the d800 then imagen the 16-35 with a rumored 46MP Body. lol
It's my opinion that Canon have been concentrating more on updating old lenses before adding a high MP camera body top their line-up for that reason. As it stands, you're probably looking at the super-teles, the 70-200 f/2.8 MkII and the new 24-70 MkII, plus a few others (mostly primes) that can actually cope with a high resolution sensor in Canon's line-up. To my mind, they have got it the right way around, although I still wouldn't get it, as I don't want to have to change half of my lenses to get the best out of a high MP sensor, as out of my current lenses, probably only three at best, would stand a half-decent chance of being a good match.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »

Cameras.

Haven't you decided what to buy? Why do you still keep asking?

Rocky

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
I never meant that they are behind sales whise. But technology whise.
DSLR is a system. So you need to look at is as system: lens performance, color redition, AF accuracy and speed, ergonomics etc. You can not just single out pixel count, noise level and say who is more advance in technoloy. Have you ever compare the facial color between Canon and Nikon with the same level of camera under the same condition? Have you compare the handling of Canon and Nikon with the same level of cameras?? If you have done them, you  will understand why the sales of Canon is better than  the Nikon.

RVB

• Canon AE-1
  • 1DX
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2012, 03:45:33 PM »

I shoot with both systems so I'm no fanboi.. canon makes some amazing glass,the new flash system is excellent too.. the supertele's are the best around....

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2012, 03:46:03 PM »

Oh, let's see...faster frame rates, better metering (1D X vs. D4), a radio-triggered flash system, better real-world high ISO performance...I could go on, but I'm growing bored with feeding this particular troll.

DSLR is a system. So you need to look at is as system: lens performance, color redition, AF accuracy and speed, ergonomics etc. You can not just single out pixel count, noise level and say who is more advance in technoloy.

Well, of course you can. I mean, if that's not what the Internet is for, then what good is it?!?   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

leolol

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »
I am all for what you say that canon makes better but you may have read what i shoot. And i dont need any of that. And no i havent decided what to buy yet.

So if you guys think so good of canon then i am sure you can give me some stuff they make better for what i shoot. Or not?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2012, 03:55:14 PM »

jondave

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2012, 04:29:55 PM »
I am all for what you say that canon makes better but you may have read what i shoot. And i dont need any of that. And no i havent decided what to buy yet.

So if you guys think so good of canon then i am sure you can give me some stuff they make better for what i shoot. Or not?

No, it seems you've already decided even before you asked your question.

Canon isn't coming back from wherever you think they are. Just go get your Nikon and start doing what a real photographer does.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #113 on: December 02, 2012, 05:25:07 PM »
Ok AF is fantastic but it isnt a revolution! We had great AF systems before, but we never had 36Mp in a FF Body.

Ok then because of the rebels, but does that matter? They are resting now because they sold so much. Look at the crop Bodys, all have the same 4 year old sensor.

If you would open your eyes you would see that they are behind. d4 outperforms the 1dx in high iso, and autofocous is good in both. d800 is the best studio camera on the market, 1ds3 isnt what i once was, 5d2 and 5d3 cant compete here either. The 5d3 is the best press camera out there for sure. But i dont need somethign like that.

Lol. 1Dx >>>>>> D4 all day everyday! Many pros already agree on this conclusion.

The d800 is the best 35mm studio camera. The 5D3 is the best 35mm multi-media camera.

I don't understand what the argument is here? Two tools for different fools.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 02, 2012, 05:55:56 PM »
So i´m in the market for a full frame camera right now. I only have FF lenses for EF mount, so switching would at least mean the loss of a lens or two (money reasons).
Right now canon is far behind others. Or lets just say it: Nikon.

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc. It´s just a really good body and much more in the price range of a 6d.

I want to stick with canon but if they are going to make their first competitive body in like 5 years i really have to consider switching....

OMG is this thread still going?
Buy a horse.

-PW

crasher8

« Reply #115 on: December 02, 2012, 05:57:46 PM »
I think when you know (multiple bodies) what isn't for you you may just have narrowed down the playing field to know what's left and that makes it easy to pick just what is for you, especially when you're so knowledgable and opinionated.

Radiating

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 02, 2012, 07:07:24 PM »
So i´m in the market for a full frame camera right now. I only have FF lenses for EF mount, so switching would at least mean the loss of a lens or two (money reasons).
Right now canon is far behind others. Or lets just say it: Nikon.

The d800 is 2300€ the 5d3 is 2900€ and the Nikon just is the superior camera. If you downsize the image even high iso is awesome, af is good etc. It´s just a really good body and much more in the price range of a 6d.

I want to stick with canon but if they are going to make their first competitive body in like 5 years i really have to consider switching....

The d800 is in no way shape or form the clear superior camera. I compared every aspect of each camera while consulting for a well known photography equipment testing website:

5D3 has 0.5 stops more ISO which is a huge difference, half of that is from being under rated ISO wise (meaning when both are shooting at 800 ISO the 5D3 is ACTUALLY shooting at 1000 effective ISO) and the other half is due to better response to noise reduction algorithms.

5D3 has 50% more FPS (though only without the grip)

5D3 has better autofocus (though this will be hotly debated, and they are close)

5D3 has SRAW

D800 has crop mode.

D800 has better dynamic range, which evens out at normal ISO, and the 5D3 actually has better dynamic range at high ISO

D800 has more accurate color (although it's worth nothing Canon has more traditionally "pleasing" color out of the box as a result of it's inaccurate color, before editing)

Both have 100% identical indistinguishable resolution. What defines the resolution, quite frankly, is the optics more than the sensor. This has been proven by numerous sources, zoom lenses tend to be limited to just over 21 megapixels across 90% of their imaging area off the center axis, and there is no meaningful difference between a zoom lens image captured with the D800 or 5 Mark III in resolution, even when upscaling 5D Mark III images to 36 megapixels and comparing with the same zoom lens.

Prime lenses will sometimes but infrequently show a difference in resolution, but only the best prime lenses in the world (EXcluding the vast majority of Zeiss lenses even due to lacking resolution). And ONLY images with primes between f/4.0 and f/8.0 will show any difference in resolution, and then only at lower ISO (you can read more about how ISO affects resolution negatively elsewhere, or simply look at the lensrentals tests)

So in effect there is only a marginal difference in system resolution (and it's nowhere near 36 megapixels vs 22.3, more like around 22.3 vs 27 max)

My personal conclusion is simply put that the Nikon D800 slightly edges out the Canon in a studio or landscape setting (and Nikon's lenses back this up) and Canon's 5D Mark III slightly edges out the Nikon in documentary usage. (and Canon's lenses back this up).

Overall I've found both cameras to be more similar than they are different, and there is little compelling reason to go with either unless you really need something oddly specific. Nikon's lenses and grips are expensive so the price for a typical full kit is practically identical.

Here are a few very compelling lenses to go with either manufacturer:

D800 +  14-24mm 2.8 + 35mm 1.4 AF-S + 50mm 1.4 AF-S + 105mm & 135mm DC lenses + 28-300mm FX compact superzoom

(product, studio and full frame compact superzoom)

5D Mark III + 35mm f/2.0 IS + 50mm 1.2 + 85mm 1.2 + 24-70mm 2.8 Mk II + 70-200mm f/2.8 Mk II IS + 24-105mm f/4.0 IS + 200mm f/2.0 IS + 200-400mm f/4.0 IS TC + 24-70mm f/4.0 IS

(reportage, wedding and portrait, and super low light photography)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 09:01:33 PM by Radiating »

PackLight

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »

I have problems with categorical responses about  for example AF, it should take a month to find out pro and cons regarding 1dx and d4 AF
One criterion is to see how the AF works in really bad/low light
Morten has tried them both side by side in ugly conditions and low light, It is now clear to me that the autofocus in my EOS 1DX is way behind the one in my Nikon D4 in very low light. 
http://mortenhilmer.com/2012/photo-gear/working-with-d4-and-eos-1dx-autofocus-in-very-low-light/

as usual there are different settings etc and we need soon a Master education in AF settings

Really, does the D800 have the D4 AF system.

I have a hard time giving credibility to an article about low light abilities, and the lens they are testing is a slow 70-300mm 4-5.6L. If this person primarily does low light why are they using such a slow lens?

Did you notice which Nikon lens he was using?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #117 on: December 02, 2012, 08:35:04 PM »

PackLight

« Reply #118 on: December 02, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
you can read his answers here   (Hilmer)) http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50378831  regarding similar issues that you  ask about, lens  settings etc.

And my answer about AF tests you can read above

He was given the 70-300mm L and a 600mm by Canon to test. You did notice his comments about the weight of the new 600mm Canon. I am sure after a few months of carrying it versus the 11 pound Nikon he will have an opinion.

Also, he posted this on November 29th;
"Well while it is really not interesting for most of you guys what camera I use, I have got quite a few questions about that, so let me do it very shot.
I would never make a decision based on reviews and other photographers opinions – therefore I want to use the system for several months so I can be perfectly familiar with the handling and the pros and cons. I am privileged to have the option to try the different lenses on the camera witch is a great help."

So I think you need to give him a couple more months to formulate an opinion, since he is just starting his comparison.

http://mortenhilmer.com/2012/photo-gear/working-with-the-nikon-d4-and-the-canon-eos-1dx/

PackLight

« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »

The D800's AF system is, in all the important ways, the same the D4. Not all ways, though; Nikon has kept a few AF-related features exclusive to the higher-priced model. The ones we're aware of are:
The D4 can optionally show all the active points in a Dynamic AF grouping. If, for example, the camera is set to 9-point, the main point in the group will appear as a red square, while eight small red dots will light up around it. The D800 doesn't do this, it will light up just the main point.

AF-C Priority Selection, the Custom Setting that dictates whether priority will be given to release or focus when tracking a subject, has four options in the D4: Focus, Release, Release + Focus and Focus + Release. The D800 has only the first three (making it the same as the D700).

The D4 can be set so the active focus point will automatically change with the orientation of the camera. The D800 lacks this ability.

A friend of mine owns a D800. He asked me a while back about keeper rate and we started comparing. My keeper rate out of my 1D IV is well over 90%. His average is about 30%. When I say keeper I mean pictures in focus that if the framing or composition would have been right they had the technical aspects he or I would require.

Real world comparison, real world test and my opinions were from comparisons.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #119 on: December 02, 2012, 08:56:51 PM »